2016 SEL Winter Wheels

lildisco

I bought a set of OEM 18 wheel for winter. The wife loves the polished aluminum wheels, so i bought the non polished aluminum OEM equivalent for winter duty. I understand that the computer needs to learn the new sensors. It took about 30-40 minutes of driving to get the TPMS Fault on the dash.

I saw in another thread that he kept on driving & the car learned the new sensors without any calibration. http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/19633-how-do-i-reset-the-tpms-for-winter-tires/?do=findComment&comment=158148

My question is, can i do this as well? I've put about another hour or so of driving since the TPMS fault came on & i still have -- next to all 4 corners.

I tried an old Ford Reset tool (2008 E-150) & turn on & off the hazards to enter the re-learn procedure, & it doesn't honk the horn like it should. Tried to let air out as well, all the way down to 5 psi, no dice.

Do i need to purchase a newer reset tool? I'm going to hold out a few days just to be sure, but I didn't know if someone else has run into this yet. I've pooked around in FORScan, but couldn't find anything other than a DTC for the TPMS sensors. Anyone have any tips?

I believe it depends on what type of TPMS sensors you get. Aftermarket TPMS sensors likely need to be re-learned with the tool.

However, I recently put on winter rims with genuine motorcraft TPMS Sensors (TPMS-35 (315mhz)) and I can confirm that they auto-learn without any tool or calibration. Even the tire shop that installed them was not aware of this. They called me during the install to tell me they couldn't get their aftermarket re-learn tool to work. I told them to install anyway. Have almost 3 weeks of driving including some long distance drives and can confirm that all 4 sensors are working correctly with no need for calibration. The tire shop had even over-inflated one of the tires by accident which had the side benefit of allowing me to verify that the sensors were in fact reading the correct PSI.

For reference my Edge is a 2016 Titanium AWD.

• Like 1

I believe it depends on what type of TPMS sensors you get. Aftermarket TPMS sensors likely need to be re-learned with the tool.

However, I recently put on winter rims with genuine motorcraft TPMS Sensors (TPMS-35 (315mhz)) and I can confirm that they auto-learn without any tool or calibration. Even the tire shop that installed them was not aware of this. They called me during the install to tell me they couldn't get their aftermarket re-learn tool to work. I told them to install anyway. Have almost 3 weeks of driving including some long distance drives and can confirm that all 4 sensors are working correctly with no need for calibration. The tire shop had even over-inflated one of the tires by accident which had the side benefit of allowing me to verify that the sensors were in fact reading the correct PSI.

For reference my Edge is a 2016 Titanium AWD.

• Like 1

For me it calibrated on the first drive. Never received the TPMS error in the first place. My TPMS Sensors were brand new so there may be an issue with sensors that have been calibrated to a previous vehicle.

When my guy said he couldn't retrain using the aftermarket tool he said I would likely have to take it to Ford. Might be worth a trip to the dealer to see if they can reset the sensors.

Went to a big chain tire place today & they couldn't get the car to learn the new sensors. They also said that the car should be able to learn the new ones on their own. I even gave them the id for each sensor, (a buddy had the tool to do so), still didn't work. I'm thinking that the either the sensors aren't OEM or there's another program procedure out there besides turning the hazards on & off.

I called tire rack & they said i shouldn't have to do anything. I called discount tire direct and they seemed pretty confident that they should be able to get it to work, but they're closed on Sundays. I do have a couple of Ford Dealers around me, but none that I trust to work on my car,except for the 3 hours round trip dealer.

I guess I'll try the local independent shops & see if i can make some headway with this.

I think part of the problem lies in the fact that i have the original tires are in the basement at the longest possible way from the car & the car will see these after its been sitting a few hours. The car also sits outside at her work for a few hours, so I'm not sure if that really has anything to do with it or not.

Turns out that there must be a difference between the 2015's & 2016's. Sensors replaced with different new ones & sync'd up no problem.

Old TPMS part # reads DE8T-1A180-AA a quick search on TPMS.com indicates its for a 2014

http://www.tpms.com/2014_Ford_TPMS_s/6545.htm

So, does anyone want to buy some genuine OEM Ford TPMS sensors?

post-41964-0-53133800-1479176980_thumb.png

• Like 1

They had to train them to the car, but advised me that going back to the original wheel, would require them to be reprogrammed. But shouldn't be too difficult to do.

I believe that our edge was picking up on my cx7 TPMS sensors while sitting overnight. It wouldn't pick up on them if it was parked next to it for a few hours only if it sat overnight, & even then, not all the time.

If it wasn't supposed to snow this weekend, I'd take her original wheels & try it out. I am also curious on how long the car will take to learn the 'new' sensors or if i can force it with the relearn procedure.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Welp, put the OEM wheels that came on the car on & i get a TPMS fault after a few miles of driving. I'm gonna try to roll for a bit & see what happens. If not, back to the tire place.

I did try the hazard trick & drained my tire down to 15 psi & it still didn't learn them. Maybe sitting over night might help

• Like 1

Sitting overnight for 2 nights didn't help. The Edge does pick up on the tpms from my cx7 which is next to the edge & only 1 or 2 sensors at that. Just weird that the edge can't automatically pick up its own OEM tpms.

Appointment set up for this evening

Edited by lildisco

Sitting overnight for 2 nights didn't help. The Edge does pick up on the tpms from my cx7 which is next to the edge & only 1 or 2 sensors at that. Just weird that the edge can't automatically pick up its own OEM tpms.

Appointment set up for this evening

Curious. I thought that the car had to be moving before the tire pressure sending units began transmitting.

There's a different procedure described on Ebay for the Ford TPMS. If you have the tool, wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Train-Ford-Tire-Pressure-Monitior-Sensors-TPMS-/10000000177044847/g.html

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Had a nice long reply written up & when i posted it, nothing happened, oh well.

They started working this morning on their own while on my way to Discount Tire. I had roughly 110 miles on the car since the swap. I can home & did the flasher re-learn trick & that worked.

I did look at the above post by enigma & i did purchase a trigger tool, (my work truck had one, but I think it's busted because the light doesn't come on when the button is pressed). I also found out that there are 2 re-learn procedures. The hazard one is only for known tpms, like a tire rotation. The 2nd is more for case with switching out winter & summer tires. The procedure is:

There are TWO different modes of training TPMS sensors:

1. TRAINING TPMS sensors on my truck you push the hazard flasher three times and the truck will enter TRAIN mode. This works ONLY if the sensors are "known" to the TPMS module in the truck!

2. RELEARNING TPMS sensors. This procedure is required after you installed new sensors NOT KNOWN to the truck and must be "learned" first;

FORD TPMS Relearn for Keyed-ignition models:

1) Make sure ALL TIRES ARE INFLATED TO SPEC

2) IGNITION SWITCH in OFF position

3) PRESS AND RELEASE BRAKE PEDAL

4) Turn IGNITION SWITCH TO RUN 3 times ending in RUN (within 10 sec)

5) PRESS AND RELEASE BRAKE PEDAL

6) Turn the ignition switch back to OFF.

7) IGNITION SWITCH TO RUN 3 times ending in RUN (within 10 sec)

8) The HORN SOUND sound indicates vehicle has entered into TPMS RELEARN mode.

10) Place the top of the TPMS triggering tool against the sidewall of the DRIVERS SIDE FRONT tire in the location of the valve stem. TRIGGER SENSOR, wait until the horn sounds

11) Once the horn sounds, move on to the PASSENGER SIDE FRONT tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

12) Once horn sounds continue on to the PASEENGER SIDE REAR tire and

13) Once horn sounds continue on to the DRIVERS SIDE REAR tire.

14) You may now turn the ignition to OFF.

· If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully.

· If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

I do have keyless ignition, so maybe the process might be a little different, like this one from theTPMSforum:

*WITH INTEGRATED KEY FOB (ACTUAL KEY CONTAINED IN KEY FOB) PUSH BUTTON START:

1. With vehicle off, press and release the brake pedal.

2. Using the push button, press and hold the button until the vehicle is in acessory mode (ACC mode).

WARNINGl DO NOT PUSH RELEASE TOO QUICKLY. PUSH - WAIT FOR SOUND - RELEASE.

3. Power off by pushing the button 1 time.

4. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.

5. Press and release the brake pedal, then turn vehicle off.

6. Using the push button, press and hold the button until the vehicle is in acessory mode.

7. Power off by pushing the button 1 time.

8. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.

9. Horn will sound once and TPMS telltale will blink once train mode is initiated.

10. Starting at LF tire, decrease air pressure until horn chirps. Repeat procedure for remaining tires in the following order: RF, RR, and LR. If equipped with banded sensors, place antennae of learn tool on sidewall of LF tire 180 degrees from valve stem to activate sensor. Horn will sound once sensor has been recognized. Repeat step for RF, RR, and LR tires.

11. After successfully programming the LR tire, the message center should display TRAINING COMPLETE

12. Inflate all tires to pressure listed on placard.

***WITH INTELLIGENT ASSIST IGNITION SYSTEM (NO ACTUAL KEY CONTAINED IN KEY FOB):

2. Using the push button, press once to turn on, then press again to put vehicle into ACC mode, then press again to turn vehicle off.

3. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.

4. Press and release the brake pedal, then turn vehicle off.

5. Using the push button, press once to turn on, then press again to put vehicle into ACC mode, then press again to turn vehicle off.

6. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.

7. Horn will sound once and TPMS telltale will blink once train mode is initiated. If equipped with message center, it will display TRAIN LF TIRE.

8. Starting at LF tire, decrease air pressure until horn chirps. Repeat procedure for remaining tires in the following order: RF, RR, and LR. If equipped with banded sensors, place antenne of learn tool on sidewall of LF tire 180 degrees from valve stem to activate sensor. Horn will sound once sensor has been recognized. Repeat step for RF, RR, and LR tires.

9. After successfully programming the LR tire, the msessage center should display TRAINING COMPLETE

10. Inflate all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

***WITH INTELLIGENT ASSIST IGNITION SYSTEM (NO ACTUAL KEY CONTAINED IN KEY FOB):

2. Using the push button, press once to turn on, then press again to put vehicle into ACC mode, then press again to turn vehicle off.

3. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.

4. Press and release the brake pedal, then turn vehicle off.

5. Using the push button, press once to turn on, then press again to put vehicle into ACC mode, then press again to turn vehicle off.

6. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.

7. Horn will sound once and TPMS telltale will blink once train mode is initiated. If equipped with message center, it will display TRAIN LF TIRE.

8. Starting at LF tire, decrease air pressure until horn chirps. Repeat procedure for remaining tires in the following order: RF, RR, and LR. If equipped with banded sensors, place antenne of learn tool on sidewall of LF tire 180 degrees from valve stem to activate sensor. Horn will sound once sensor has been recognized. Repeat step for RF, RR, and LR tires.

9. After successfully programming the LR tire, the msessage center should display TRAINING COMPLETE

10. Inflate all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.

I can confirm that this procedure works with Ford OEM trigger tool, 8c2z 1a203-a (TPMS19). I'll have to wait for winter to come to try this on the winter wheels.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I can confirm that the above process DOES NOT work with my Winter Wheels (OEM Wheels & Tires, Aftermarket TPMS from Discount Tire).

I swapped over to the winter wheels last night & I could get into the program portion listed above, but the 1st TPMS (LF) would not trigger. I got into FORScan & saw that there's a TPMS Procedure & tried that & it still didn't work. I did a reset of the Body Control Module (The same area that the TPMS Procedure is located) & took it for a drive. Within 10-15 minutes of driving, the new TPMS were learned. I then tried the TPMS Procedure in FORScan & it DID NOT work again. I then turned the car off for the night. Woke up & checked it this morning & the TPMS were learned this morning.

Really weird that my trigger tool worked with my OEM wheels & TPMS, but not the after market ones. Either way, this was MUCH easier this year, than last year.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1