2011 Edge vs midsize sedan

Tacyon

Unfortunately no one wins. Fortunately no one permanently injured.

While it can't be proved, texting was suspected. Really no other logical explanation why you have 550-600 feet of clear sight and choose to ram the side of another vehicle at ~50mph. The Edge took a direct hit to the drivers door and all its safety features did exactly what they were supposed to do. While trying to recover from getting the wind knocked out of me and assessing the damage, I hear MFT dialing my cell phone. LOL, I think, "great, nice time to have it call pizza hut!" Nope, it was MFT telling me I'd just been involved in a crash and it was calling 911 and relaying my position to them for me. Wow ... never thought I'd be hearing that message.

I've just got to heal and move on. Not only do I no longer have my beloved Edge, but I've got a boat load of medical bills and have to figure out how to get another daily driver.

post-22594-0-29254600-1478907386_thumb.pngpost-22594-0-50546500-1478907402_thumb.pngpost-22594-0-65089200-1478907413_thumb.pngpost-22594-0-27614900-1478907430_thumb.png

The last one of the seat, that seat is now only 15" wide. I can assure you that at 6'5" and at the top end of 290lbs, my hips are NOT 15" wide! That center console left a black bruise from my right knee up to just above my belt line.

Internal diagnostics revealed: two bruised hips (prevents me from walking due to the pain) bruised spleen (complete with fluid) Bruised ribs (door impact - makes breathing fun) 12 stitches on my forehead and fractured L2, L3.

I'll heal but It'll take some time. Side impact curtains (and a praying mom) saved my life. With the force of impact I could have popped my noggin open or broken my pelvis. That would NOT have been good.

I post this to say, be careful out there. You may be a very good driver but there are others that are set on ruining your day.

p.s. if you feel so inclined, my son started a YouCaring on my behalf while I was in the hospital. Being alive as taken on a new meaning for me of late.

Peace out

Damn! Glad you are 'reasonably' ok. Makes me feel a bit better about the Edge, frankly. I was a '98 Explorer driver until a few months ago, now in an '11 Edge Limited. I always though the Explorer was a tank compared to the Edge, but it looks like the Edge took the ~50 mph hit pretty well and all the safety systems worked.

Good to hear you came out ok. Speedy recovery I trust.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: well it's six weeks post accident and I've been back to work for two weeks now. I'm still sore, I feel like I was in a bar fight last Friday and I took several punches to the ribs, but its manageable. Funny to watch me get up outta a chair after having sat for an hour. I look like my dad for the first 10 feet.

I think I'm going to seek out a chiropractor because I've still got some issues with my neck and back that aren't getting any better. Not looking forward to that.

In the good news column, Before too many more medical bills hit me, I located and procured a replacement Edge (with a LOT of work). This time in the color I wanted in the first place. Same config as my departed 2011 but two years newer (2013) and 1/3 the milage. Now I begin the trek of getting my tweaks back in place so that it "feels right". I'm still in the "bonding phase". :flirt:

• Like 1

Looking at the pics you took one hell of a hit. Glad your back in work. Cars are replaceable but we are not.

My nephew was hit like that by a Dodge Durango but not nearly as hard. He was in a 98 Ford explorer without side bags. He was more messed up than you but has made a full recovery. His car also ended up in a patch of poison ivy that got all over my legs when his father and I went to the scene before the police and ambulance left. VERY SCAREY to think about to this day.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very late to the game here, but I would hope the other party's insurance helped pay your med bills. They should have liability? Which would cover your injuries and property damage. I went through a motorcycle crash 11 years ago and had to go through a lot of this stuff. I had good insurance from work at the time and the other ppl's insurance paid out too.

Good luck getting on with life. It takes a while.

• Like 1