Wet passenger floor. The dealer finds...

Tjm623

So first off just wanted to say this may be lengthy as I'm a bit peeved at the moment. With that said any guidance on how to handle this situation would be helpful.

Got my new weathertech mats Monday and decided to vacuum before I put them in. Picked up passenger mat and everything was wet. Seemed strange so I smelled my finger(sorry I had to say it!), and it smells like mildew. took it into dealer today and called them around 1 to see what was taking so long (told me he'd known by 1).

I talk to someone else who basically just says they need the car overnight and would pay for a rental. Not a lot of info, but whatever I at least have a car for the holidays.

My advisor calls back says multiple leak points behind a pillar, windshield, behind dash. This car has 7k miles on it!!

Says they need to replace carpet, pad, etc. they need it a week at least. Rental not sounding so good now.

Finally get a decent size vehicle after complaining about needing something comparable for our holiday trip and a sub compact isn't going to work.

Went to collect some stuff my car and this is where my concern lies...my car is currently parted out. Passenger seat is out, a ton of trim and other random assortment of parts are piled up on my back seat, carpet is peeled back and the pad so I'm looking at bare metal in my interior. I ask rhetorically that must have been happening since the car was new. The guy kinda agrees and I say so there must be mold? He just responded with...that's why we're replacing the carpets?!?

I know about the 15s water leak issues and so I asked him how many 16s has he seen with this, he said none this isn't something normal...I said yea but it's similar to the 15s issues, but that was driver side and this is passenger. He says the 15s didn't have any issues?!? I said you never repaired a leaking 15?

My question is where do I go from here? I'm not thrilled my brand new car is parted out right now, and knowing my car was covered in mold doesn't leave me hopeful that they are gonna clean it all. Do I have options or what?

Now guys, mind

What is the build date on your 16? If you have the VIN, you can look it up here

Https://www.etis.ford.com

You can take the relevant TSBs to the deaker and show them whats what. Sounds like you talked to a service advisor? You may need to work it up the chain to get answers. Insist on being assigned a case number if nothing else, so you can loop in Ford if needed.

Mold shouldn't be a problem if they replace the carpet. It won't grow on metal. The bigger issue is if the electronics got wet. At this point you'll have to wait and see what they do.

My other issue with the replacing or removing so much is putting car back together, what if this happens when I'm out of warranty again and all this stuff gets moldy again. Now I have to pay? What if they snap or scratch trim, and this thing starts rattling all over the place.

I just can't imagine it being a normal thing or I don't have other options when this car is 3 months old

...I know about the 15s water leak issues and so I asked him how many 16s has he seen with this, he said none this isn't something normal...I said yea but it's similar to the 15s issues, but that was driver side and this is passenger. He says the 15s didn't have any issues?!? I said you never repaired a leaking 15?...

Man I am sorry to see this, both for you and the rest of us with 16's. We know that there were 15's that had this problem and more than a few were repurchased by Ford for this very reason. Keep us updated on how the repair goes, but more importantly what your dealer does to fix the locations ID'ed as leak points. Make sure you keep notes and a time line as to what you are told and what the results are. Good luck!

Edited by Chipster

Will do, I'm going in tomorrow to talk to sales guy (I wanna fill him in, he's helped in past with service issue) / see if it would be possible to do something about this aka a swap. I have purchased 3 vehicles from him since Jan 2014, so hoping loyalty can help me.

As for the edge. I appreciate the suggestions and am hopeful what akirby said plays out to be true and there aren't any issues and it's fixable if no electrical issues, but I also have the 3.5L and I'm sure I'm right around the time some TB issues creep up. This issue really has me down on the edge.

I liked the vehicle and the options I got at my price point. But, I have never heard of a vehicle springing leaks like this. It makes me even more weary after issues with 15s (like someone said am I the first of many)? At this point if sales in junction with service can get me in a situation where I can trade in / buyback and get me in a different model, I would probably take it.

An issue like this at such low mileage just seems to be a pretty ominous omen of my future with the vehicle.

Update:

I traded it in. Dealer helped a little but still feel like it wasn't the best scenario.

I ended up getting back in f150 (what I traded in for the edge in first place). 2016 2.7L supercrew xlt sport.

They paid off the edge and gave me back my first two car payments and an additional 1000 to recoup my down payment as well as another 1000. My main issue was the fact that I had about 8k equity from my previous f150 in the edge. They wouldn't budge on that. So in that case I lost my a** on this trade.

They said they were willing to help start arbitration with Ford, and cover a car payment while they started it, but I just got done dealing with something similar and it never goes smoothly. I just don't have the energy to go through that process again. I wanted to be rid of the issue and back in something that I'm praying doesn't have any issues.

As far as built date I'll double check my vin and see I'm not actually entirely sure.

• Like 1

Edge MSRP was 38-40(I can't remember now, so many numbers at dealer today)

F150 was 51k. Always large incentives on f150s. I put 3k down just to get payment where I wanted, it's gonna be about $100 a month more than the edge was. But for type of vehicle, towing factor and all things considered I think I got a deal still.

Just glad to be done with the edge too. Loved the vehicle but this really sucked big time for me. Plus the lack of aftermarket parts was killing me :)

I'm sure I'll still pop in but most likely you'll find me back on f150 forums!

Thanks for everyone's advice and help in this process

• Like 3

Chip,

My thoughts exactly and when those concerns were expressed to dealer they acted like this was not even remotely close to that situation.

Doesn't matter where the water came from you have two model years that are leaking water...or at least one model year that has and a single (that we know of) vehicle from the following year. That's enough for me to gracefully bow out.

I hear you, and the rest us here can only hope that your situation is a "one off", but having a fair amount of manufacturing experience in my previous career...I know where there is smoke, most times there is a fire. A manufacturing plant manager's worst nightmare is an issue that escapes his or her QC dept. and finds its way into the hands of the customer. Good luck with your F-150, and thanks for your report here!

I'm willing to bet that those types of individual problems (or those only affecting a small group of vehicles) occur all the time and are either fixed before leaving the factory or fixed later at the dealer as a relatively isolated incident. I don't think this points to the same widespread problem as before necessarily.