Rear bumper protector - air bubbles

gtyates

I just installed a Ford rear bumper protector on our 2013 Edge. Install is easy, but it developed air bubbles as I installed it. Has anyone experienced this and if so, do you have any idea on the best way to remove them? I have used a small straight pin to release the air in many of them, but it seems that longer it sits today the more of these little air bubbles I am noticing.It is parked in my garage, but the sun has been shining directly on the bumper all day.

Any suggestions, especially someone that has done this, is appreciated.

Did you let the protector and car sit in the sun prior to install. I don't have the Ford OEM protector but I hear it's pretty thin. When I put mine on the instructions recommended you let both the protector and bumper warm to 70+ degrees then make sure you start from the middle and work out. That helps to reduce the bubbles.

I am honestly not sure what you do once it's on other than what you are doing poke the holes and press out the excess air. You may be able to shrink the protector by running cool water on it right after but can't say that would work or not. I also have heard of people slicing a very thin slit with a razor but then you will probably end up scaring your bumper so that could be a bad idea.

Since it's already on it maybe too late to use a little extra adhesive tape in the middle portion. Sorry probably not much help but these are all things that I read before purchasing the one I ended up getting. I hear more complaints about the OEM protector. Plus I don't like the fact there is no protection on the upper lip of the bumper. The on I purchased does and it makes a difference.

Thanks for the idea of using ice. I had not thought of that. I will add that I installed it Saturday afternoon, then Saturday night the temp dropped below freezing before I got the garage door closed. On Sunday I noticed that many of the little bubbles were gone, so I need to try ice cubes and see if I can get the others gone as well.

Yes, the protector is a bit thin, and I do wish it wrapped over the edge of the bumper lip for extra protection, but putting this on our Edge has covered some small scratches that had already happened on the top of the bumper, so I am hopeful that this will protect it going forward. It does look good, and the "Edge" scripting in the design looks pretty good.

Now on to my next small mod, some Infinity speakers I just ordered from Crutchfield. :) Like most of you, I agree the sound is a but "muddy", so I am hopeful that these speakers will brighten it up a bit.