2016 Non-Power Liftgate

foghelmut

Needs to change the struts. Easy to do, takes only minutes. Heres a Youtube video from mactfordedge on how to change. He used Monroe, I prefer Motorcraft (but they cost more.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnmfIjmoqo

Pretty sure struts won't lift a non powered liftgate all by themselves. If that was the case you wouldn't need the motor.

If the struts aren't going to swing it open, why do I have the button on the fob? I like the car, just a few things about it seem like "hey this is a good idea but lets not take it all the way."

So that you can open the liftgate without unlocking the car. So that you can open the liftgate from a distance for someone else who is close to the car. So that you can open the liftgate for somebody stuck inside the cargo area.

If you want to "take it all the way", then pay for the power option that Ford offers. If you wanted the struts to be strong enough to push it open, then it would be impossible to close.

They do! On the 2015 SEL I rented, the liftgate was manual, though the struts seemed beefier than in 2007-14. On the SE/SEL, you have to get the Cargo Utility Package for this feature.

I didn't realize that. Thought that it was standard on all Edge's & MKX's. That's one feature I would miss, never knew it was an option on these basic models.

Just to clarify, you use the key fob to pop the latch and then lift the tailgate up to say half way and it continues all the way open by itself?

• Like 1

So that you can open the liftgate without unlocking the car. So that you can open the liftgate from a distance for someone else who is close to the car. So that you can open the liftgate for somebody stuck inside the cargo area.

If you want to "take it all the way", then pay for the power option that Ford offers. If you wanted the struts to be strong enough to push it open, then it would be impossible to close.

What's the difference between the liftgate being unlocked and the whole car being unlocked? Kind of pointless. Why can't a person in the back just lower the seat and go out the door? Why are cargo areas being used as elaborate traps?

• 2 weeks later...

A little off topic but I originally thought the "kick to lift" option was gimmicky, but it's now become something I use several times a day! It would honestly be hard to go without on future vehicles!

Same here. While I don't use it everyday, it has come in handy a few times while my hands were full.