2013 Edge shutter issue after refuel

jhower2327

I have a 2013 Edge that runs amazingly well. Recently, I have noticed that after I fill up the gas tank the RPMs begin to drop and the vehicle shutters while sitting idle, almost to the point where the vehicle stalls out. Once I put the car in gear and start driving, the issue clears up. Has anyone had this same issue or any idea what it might be? Thank you in advance for the help.

• Like 1

How many miles on your Edge? Have you fueled up multiple times and had this issue happen? Any CELs? Have you checked for codes in the PCM (wont necessarily throw a light)?

Do you fill past the first click? If so, it could be the canister is saturated, or that the EVAP purge valve is sticking. The other possibility is the throttle body needs to be cleaned and/or replaced. So I would try cleaning the throttle body first with MAF/electronics cleaner. It may take some elbow grease, as the cleaner is not very strong. If you use carb cleaner, be sure to wipe off as soon as possible, as it is corrosive to the coating on the throttle plate.

Clean the MAF sensor also, but ONLY with MAF cleaner. Check & replace air filter if need be.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I have about 82,000 on it. It never throws any CELs which I find somewhat strange. I didn't check to see if it had any codes stored but can check that tomorrow at work. We always stop after the first click when filling up. I find the whole thing rather strange but then again I do have 82,000 on it. I make sure to keep up on all maintenance.

• 1 year later...

Just went through this one in my 2012 SE and it was the purge valve. Initially noticed odd idle then difficult to start after refueling. It did throw a code which pointed to the purge valve but went off after a drive cycle or two. Thankful it was easily accessible and did not require 10 hours of engine tear down to access!

• Like 1

Just went through this one in my 2012 SE and it was the purge valve. Initially noticed odd idle then difficult to start after refueling. It did throw a code which pointed to the purge valve but went off after a drive cycle or two. Thankful it was easily accessible and did not require 10 hours of engine tear down to access!

Turning out that the Purge Valve is a consumable some what like the air filter. LOL

• Like 1

I mentioned this in another thread on here, but on our Edge it did set a CEL, but on my Sport Trac it did not until it had gotten almost impossible to start the truck after a fill-up. When my Sport Trac purge valve was first going bad I read a Sport Trac discussion that indicated if I held the gas pedal when starting after a fill-up it would start. This worked until I had time to order and replace. Got mine for both truck from rockauto and I went with a Motorcraft branded one again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been tracking mileage with an App on my iPhone. Every fill up I enter the particulars litres, cost per litre and odometer reading. This App then calculates the new average fuel economy. Since changing the purge valve, rule economy has dropped. Hmmmm... I once would observed 9 to 10 L per 100kms. Now I see averages between roughly 10 to 11 L per 100kms.

I wonder. Had the faulty purge valve been seeping vapours from the tank into the intake, fooling the ECM into thinking a constant rich mixture and thus leaning out the injectors? Anyone with thoughts?

• 1 year later...