Rear window shattered today

So went Googling around this morning as this same exact thing happened to my wife's car this morning. Started it up and about 30 seconds later the rear glass sounded like it buckled under pressure and a huge fracture appeared at the bottom just slightly higher than the wiper and then caved in on itself a few seconds later. Temperature has been pretty steady in the last few days and this morning was only about high 40s/low 50s(F). I verified and the rear defroster WAS NOT on at the time of the incident. I saw the previous user said this was covered under manufacturer warranty. I thought glass was not covered and if it is unto how many years/miles? We are going through our insurance for the replacement but I need to verify if there is going to be a charge or not.E7C968AE-0EC0-4AAD-8B6C-16DE3C21EB1F.thumb.jpeg.3c42232615f5cccfa082f9c3f4a315e6.jpeg25C7C5C0-2DBC-4DA2-80E6-F20BAC3C0D6E.thumb.jpeg.024d8e70a17fbbb21ac7f576a1b07a3c.jpeg

• Sad 2

• 5 weeks later...

Rear windshield of 2015 Edge exploded while at stop light. No previous damage. Heard loud explosion and then window started crumbling in. Luckily no kids or pets in rear. Called Ford and only response was "not under warranty" and "we can't help you". Took to local glass company who were extremely helpful, taped up window and spent a day trying to open hatch which is now frozen shut, likely due to glass fragments. So, took into Ford to get hatch open. Get call that they can't open it without damage to door so I need to call insurance company for coverage. I have made many calls to local dealership team and Ford customer service. Getting similar comments of not being able to help me since no longer under warranty and "that doesn't happen" in reference to the spontaneous rupture of the window. I asked them to look it up as I have to see the many examples on line.

My main frustration is that I was sold a product by a company and team I trusted which is defective and the company/dealership is taking no ownership of the "defect".  This is my first experience owning a Ford and first issue with the vehicle. Definitely not what I was expecting for when I made the switch to Ford. 

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

1 hour ago, coxc said:

Rear windshield of 2015 Edge exploded while at stop light. No previous damage. Heard loud explosion and then window started crumbling in. Luckily no kids or pets in rear. Called Ford and only response was "not under warranty" and "we can't help you". Took to local glass company who were extremely helpful, taped up window and spent a day trying to open hatch which is now frozen shut, likely due to glass fragments. So, took into Ford to get hatch open. Get call that they can't open it without damage to door so I need to call insurance company for coverage. I have made many calls to local dealership team and Ford customer service. Getting similar comments of not being able to help me since no longer under warranty and "that doesn't happen" in reference to the spontaneous rupture of the window. I asked them to look it up as I have to see the many examples on line.

My main frustration is that I was sold a product by a company and team I trusted which is defective and the company/dealership is taking no ownership of the "defect".  This is my first experience owning a Ford and first issue with the vehicle. Definitely not what I was expecting for when I made the switch to Ford. 

Happens all the time on all vehicles.   The impact could have occurred a month ago or 2-3 years ago.  Hard to say it was a factory defect on a 2015 vehicle - some type of impact is far more likely which is why mfrs don't cover it.   That's why you have comprehensive insurance.  Some even waive the deductible.

Would dealer be aware of prior history of impact when selling a certified pre owned vehicle? If yes, I was not informed. It is suspect that there are so many similar stories (not just the 2015 Edge) without any known history of prior damage to vehicle.  And completely random situations, mostly not moving, for spontaneous explosion. Insurance coverage does not take away the frustration of being sold a product that "failed" for unknown reason, without any dealer or company responsibility. 

Ford 'does' know about the issue and has taken steps to deal with it.  Unfortunately not everyone got the memo. 

I once had but now can't find the Field Service Action (17B39) issued for Canadian Edge 2nd gen vehicles dealing with this issue.  As I recall it involved the torque applied to a nut that fastens the wiper to the rear glass or something about the wiper anyway.

The FSA has been mentioned on this forum (same subject, different thread) before but nobody posted details (that I can find).  Maybe someone else has the text with specifics for the repair.  It obviously won't help those with already broken backlights but 'might' help avoid the problem for someone in the future.

Edited by Gadgetjq

My rear window shattered for no apparent reason last night as I was driving down the freeway.  Thankfully I was close to home and that we have full glass coverage, but still!!!!  I live in Northern MN but I did not have my defrost on at the time.  It looks like the failure came all around the bottom edge, just as others have previously stated.  My Edge is a 2016 that I bought brand new off the showroom floor and I have had nothing but issues with it from the very beginning.  This REALLY doesn't help!  :(

51 minutes ago, Angel22 said:

My rear window shattered for no apparent reason last night as I was driving down the freeway.  Thankfully I was close to home and that we have full glass coverage, but still!!!!  I live in Northern MN but I did not have my defrost on at the time.  It looks like the failure came all around the bottom edge, just as others have previously stated.  My Edge is a 2016 that I bought brand new off the showroom floor and I have had nothing but issues with it from the very beginning.  This REALLY doesn't help!  :(

"Angel22" go to the dealer and tell them what happened. There definitely IS a service bulletin about that! My dealer did an "update" free of charge on my '16 Titanium to prevent the backglass from shattering.

Claude.

6 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

"Angel22" go to the dealer and tell them what happened. There definitely IS a service bulletin about that! My dealer did an "update" free of charge on my '16 Titanium to prevent the backglass from shattering.

Claude.

There was 17B39 but it was for Canadian vehicles.  Chances are pretty good Angel22's Edge is out of warranty so it'll be an insurance claim.

That said, I did take my '16 to the dealership a month after purchase (earlier this year) and asked them to take a look at the bulletin and adjust anything necessary on my rear glass.  They 'did' look and determined no action was necessary since the last time any salt (or other chemical) was used on local roads was....never.  That still might be a good idea for any Gen2 Edge owner, especially if you live in a very cold (winter) climate.

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

There was 17B39 but it was for Canadian vehicles.  Chances are pretty good Angel22's Edge is out of warranty so it'll be an insurance claim.

That said, I did take my '16 to the dealership a month after purchase (earlier this year) and asked them to take a look at the bulletin and adjust anything necessary on my rear glass.  They 'did' look and determined no action was necessary since the last time any salt (or other chemical) was used on local roads was....never.  That still might be a good idea for any Gen2 Edge owner, especially if you live in a very cold (winter) climate.

Yeah, even if it's an "insurance case", the modification still has to be done by the dealer to prevent it from happening again. And...I don't understand what road salt has to do with the backglass shattering… :shrug:

On 12/17/2019 at 8:22 PM, 2FAST4U said:

Yeah, even if it's an "insurance case", the modification still has to be done by the dealer to prevent it from happening again. And...I don't understand what road salt has to do with the backglass shattering… :shrug:

Read the TSB.  It's in the second paragraph.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased my 2015 Ford Edge in September 2017.

January 2018 my rear window shattered while I was driving. I called my dealership and was informed that it was a known issue and there was a recall in effect so the repair was covered. 

January 2020 ( 2 years almost to the day) I was driving home from work and the exact same thing happened again!

My rear defrost had been on but was not on at the time. I contacted my local Ford Dealership and was told because there is no "active program" for this issue, my replacement will not be covered. I called Customer Relations and was told the same thing. Because this is the second time it has happened and is a "known" issue I would like to know what FORD is doing to remedy this situation. I have also taken pictures and the pattern of the "explosion" is the same as others.

My main concern is the safety of the electrical or the glass that FORD is using. ( I am grateful my dog was not in the back of the car and I am also glad no one got hurt).

Collateral damage also happened to my locking device. The shattered glass has gotten into the locking mechanism and it will no longer lock my hatch so that has to be replaced also. I am well aware that I can claim this under insurance but to be boldly honest here, I am AFRAID to drive my car now and AFRAID to turn on my rear defrost. It astounds me that I should have a fear about my vehicle! It's a $50k vehicle and there is a known issue with the glass exploding/shattering.

Who does ford use for their electrical? I was thinking that there was an Arc in the rear defrost that had been introduced to water seeping in through the wiper but since my defrost was off I need help to understand.

Who are they using for their glass? There is definitely a pattern and it is happening to more then just my vehicle.

What is FORD doing to rectify this known design flaw? (they call is a manufacturing defect - REALLY?)

It is a known issue and I would like to know what FORD is doing to solve it before someone or a pet gets badly hurt.

Just to let you all know, I have reached out to the new CEO and am waiting on a response.

I will be back with an update.

Sincerely,

MLin

1 hour ago, MLin said:

I purchased my 2015 Ford Edge in September 2017.

January 2018 my rear window shattered while I was driving. I called my dealership and was informed that it was a known issue and there was a recall in effect so the repair was covered.

The rear hatch glass breakage issue was handled by Ford Canada per the attached Customer Service Program (not a recall) document.  It's probably the reason you got the first repair without an argument.  Maybe if you print it and wave it in the face of someone at your dealership they'll get the message (you dolts didn't do the repair properly the first time) and work with you.   Good luck!

CSP 17B39 Rear Hatch Glass breakage.pdf

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

The rear hatch glass breakage issue was handled by Ford Canada per the attached Customer Service Program (not a recall) document.  It's probably the reason you got the first repair without an argument.  Maybe if you print it and wave it in the face of someone at your dealership they'll get the message (you dolts didn't do the repair properly the first time) and work with you.   Good luck!

CSP 17B39 Rear Hatch Glass breakage.pdf

The moderator removed the pdf. would you mind e  mail 2 me

Edited by MLin

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, 2FAST4U said:

Claude.

Can you tell me what that means?

What does "update" mean? They treat the glass somehow to stop it from exploding? Enquiring minds wanna know! TIA

1 hour ago, MLin said:

The moderator removed the pdf. would you mind e  mail 2 me at xenah at yahoo dot com?

I've emailed the file to you.

You'll notice the issue is salt intrusion around the area where the windshield wiper goes through the glass.  The dealer is supposed to do something to stop that problem.   Apparently they replaced your glass earlier but didn't bother to repair the problem.

Edited by Gadgetjq

21 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

I've emailed the file to you.

You'll notice the issue is salt intrusion around the area where the windshield wiper goes through the glass.  The dealer is supposed to do something to stop that problem.   Apparently they replaced your glass earlier but didn't bother to repair the problem.

Received. Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, MLin said:

Can you tell me what that means?

What does "update" mean? They treat the glass somehow to stop it from exploding? Enquiring minds wanna know! TIA

Sorry for the confusion… I should've said "modification" instead of "update"… I don't know if they treat the glass but I remember that the guy at the service department said that they add some kind of protective plastic lining to prevent the glass to be in contact with the hatch's metal frame… but I haven't seen the part he was referring to... What I do know is that my father-in-law now owns my previous '16 and the rear glass never shattered. No problem on my '19 either but I suppose that they now come with that preventive modification already done at the factory.

Claude.

Edited by 2FAST4U

16 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Sorry for the confusion… I should've said "modification" instead of "update"… I don't know if they treat the glass but I remember that the guy at the service department said that they add some kind of protective plastic lining to prevent the glass to be in contact with the hatch's metal frame… but I haven't seen the part he was referring to... What I do know is that my father-in-law now owns my previous '16 and the rear glass never shattered. No problem on my '19 either but I suppose that they now come with that preventive modification already done at the factory.

Claude.

Thanks Claude,

That is very interesting.

You would think Ford would ensure the protective coating was mandatory to come with the new glass.

Since this is the second occurrence for me, I am at a loss as to why the fix didn't last the first go round.

Your comments are appreciated.

51 minutes ago, MLin said:

Thanks Claude,

That is very interesting.

You would think Ford would ensure the protective coating was mandatory to come with the new glass.

Since this is the second occurrence for me, I am at a loss as to why the fix didn't last the first go round.

Your comments are appreciated.

If I were you, I'd go back to the dealer and complain about having the job done and that it shattered again… as if something wasn't done correctly. It's worth a try..:shrug:

Claude.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:17 AM, 2FAST4U said:

If I were you, I'd go back to the dealer and complain about having the job done and that it shattered again… as if something wasn't done correctly. It's worth a try..:shrug:

Claude.

You are right, I should have gone to the dealer, even if it is a hour away or at least called them to discuss. Instead I went to my local Ford dealer and this insane process got rolling and then it started raining heavily with a heavy rain advisory and no time to drive an hour away.

This is definitely a design flaw. Ford acknowledges it as a "Manufacturing defect" however identified this issue in a "Customer Satisfaction Program" which is like calling it "Fake News" IMO. They seem to be sneakily moving away from using "Recall"  and rebranding it "Customer Satisfaction Program" (CSP) and expecting no one to call them on it.  The CSP issued by Ford says " It may be possible for salt and water to weep through the rear wiper motor shaft grommet. This can leave a deposit of residue on the interior of the rear defroster grid and cause uneven heat in the glass". These are the words from Ford. As I look at everyone's pictures, the shatter pattern is the same. This is definitely a design flaw and should be unequivocally covered regardless of how many times the glass shatters.

1. The glass shattering sounds like a gun shot and if it happens while driving it scares the crap out of you.

2. I live in Canada and during the in winter months the rear defrost is a necessity. Now that this has happened to me twice (2x's) I freeze every time I start my car and the heat comes on and its like a race to turn the defrost off and then its a "decision", like how bad is it, do I really need to turn on my rear defrost today"???

3. My thought process goes to questioning "What can I do to alleviate this fear and try to stop it from happening again since Ford has not identified a willingness to own this flaw and provide me with a reliable fix?"

4. I escalated this to the top at Ford and got some action. It wasn't a great response but it wasn't a complete NO like I had received from the dealership, Customer Service and Customer Relations.

ps. Know anyone that wants to buy a 2015 Ford Edge?