Decided on the Edge, undecided on options

1004ron

I've driven a company car Fusion (2 OFF) for the past 8 years and very happy with the styling, performance and servicing, now that I'll be losing the company car, I need to purchase my own ride.

In Jan or Feb 2017 I plan on buying an Edge, 2016 or 2017, but undecided on options.

Engine:

One of the Fusion's had a 1.5L Ecoboost engine and the performance was impressive, but my concern with the Ecoboost engines is longevity and major maintenance such as intake fouling due to Direct Injection, so has me leaning towards the 3.5L V6

FWD vs AWD:

I've never owned an AWD so can't make the comparison myself - I'm in Kentucky and we occasionally get snow more than a foot deep, but I've always managed with FWD. There's been very few occasions where I've longed for what AWD could offer in the ice and snow.

In my case, is it worth the extra for AWD?

Package Options:

This is another area of indecision, but secondary - I don't plan on Build your Own, so will need to settle on the options on the vehicles that my Ford dealer has in stock.

Welcome to the forum, 1004ron! Glad to see you in Ford's favor for your next vehicle :)

For the longterm, I would still go with the 3.5 as a known quantity, especially if you plan to tow with it. Not that DI engines are bad, but turbo DI complicates the issue just a bit more, and IMHO, make an extended warranty necessary, though can decide on that till towards the end of the B2B warranty. The turbo DI engines do offer more grunt at the lower end if that is important to you.

FWD or AWD is up to you, but given your situation, FWD should be fine, and will avoid any headaches associated with PTU/transfer case/differentials. Get a bit more gas mileage out of it as well. AWD is primarily a performance thing and definitely can help in bad weather, but in snow & ice, winter tires still rule.

May not want to deal with the headaches of a panoramic roof, but if you do purchase, make sure you service the tracks regularly (clean & lubricate). Also consider purchasing the power liftgate option if you or another driver have a physical disability/frequently have arms full trying to open it.

Good luck, keep us updated.

• Like 2

I bought a 2016 this last summer and had similar questions to yours. Answers are subjective and there's no one answer for everyone so I'll share my reasoning with you.

Engine: even though the larger eco-boost had more HP and torque, I went with the 3.5 V6 simply because it's what I know. I had a 2009 with the same engine and it was great. I wanted to avoid the added complexity of the turbo. Note if I could have gotten the V6 eco-boost they put in the trucks, that would be a different story!

AWD vs FWD: I live in Canada albeit in a part of it that doesn't see much snow. I simply like the confidence that AWD gives me on dirt, mud, snow, and ice. I could probably get by with FWD but prefer AWD. I was at a place with a steep gravel driveway. The person that lived there suggested that I back down to the bottom to get a running start as to not spin the wheels. Didn't need to. I set the dash display to show power distribution for fun and saw power equally distributed to all wheels. Zero spin. I would much rather spend the money on AWD than any of the other gadgets or packages. If I lived in a clime that never saw cold or I never ventured off of paved roads, i'd probably get FWD.

I ordered a car to my specs; titanium trim with only a heated steering wheel (which is very nice) as sole option. It only took 6 weeks so it's worth it in my opinion.

Be sure to let us know what you choose!

• Like 1

I have a MKX-AWD and had to take wifiepo to work yesterday because of the storm that came through. Could feel the AWD pulling in the deep stuff, no slip at all. As you line in N Ky, you really don't see all that much deep stuff, I'd recommend the FWD.

The Vista roof is nice on most days, open it all the way and makes you feel free. (Wife has a Sebring Convertible and that's real freedom, but the BAMR is a nice feature).

I like the THX speakers and premium sound system. Also use the navigation almost every time I drive (don't need it, just like to see it keep track of where I'm at). Also being able to look up gas prices and restaurants has come in handy. Never used to theater guide yet. Normally listen to Sirus while driving. Convenient to turn on CNN or FOX news and keep up with current events.

Don't have a heated steering wheel in mine, wish I did. (Don't know which package it comes with, but would give serious consideration to it). Also don't have remote start, but would also think twice about passing on it. Have thought several times about having it installed, but at $600 seems a bit much just to have a warm car in the winter. Find the 3.5 L warms very quicky when's it's above or around 32°. Heated steering and remote start really comes into its own when around 10° above.

Have you also considered the Lincoln MKX?

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the comments, it sure helps with the final decision.

The FWD vs AWD decision might be made for me, as all the 2016 and 2017 3.5L V6's that I see listed have AWD.

@akirby , its the 3.5L V6 selection seen in the Edge listing on the Ford web site, but don't know the exact code i.e. 3.5LEB - The Edge Sport would be stretching my budget, so looking at the SEL or Titanium.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

@akirby, that was me who talked about the truck engines. I was referring to the 3.5 eco-boost. I just thought that would be pretty awesome in an edge! I didn't look too much into the 2.7LEB since it's on the sport only and didn't want to shell out the extra $$$.

My last edge had the huge vista roof but although it was nice, I as the driver never really felt that I benefited from it. I don't know about the rest of you but I look forward when I'm driving ;). On sunny days I couldn't use it 'cause I would fry and I didn't like the wind at freeway/highway speeds. Initially my wife wanted it but now she says she doesn't miss it. Vista roof is a super personal subjective choice.

Edited by ben senise
  • Like 1

My last edge had the huge vista roof but although it was nice, I as the driver never really felt that I benefited from it. I don't know about the rest of you but I look forward when I'm driving ;). On sunny days I couldn't use it 'cause I would fry and I didn't like the wind at freeway/highway speeds. Initially my wife wanted it but now she says she doesn't miss it. Vista roof is a super personal subjective choice.

5% Window Tint fixes the frying issue ;) I didn't want it, but the wife did, guess who won?

We usually just have the blind back or we have the roof tilted, we rarely have it completely open. Decent option, but very subjective.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my opinion, working ford a Ford Dealership. Id go with the 3.5. Its seemed to be fairly trouble free in Edges in the past. The 2.0EcoBoost is great, I have it in my fusion, but gas mileage isn't that good. Our 2013 Edge gets about the same, and it has the 3.5. AWD is great to have, and I'd say go that route. You wont regret getting AWD, but I bet there will come a time that you regret not getting it if you go FWD. And keep in mind, if a particular dealership doesn't have what you want, they can do a dealer trade to get it! I would look at dealerships on dealerrater.com before purchasing. Look for a dealership that treats you right, not for one with the best deal. Me personally, I'd rather spend say a grand more on a car, but know I am at a place where I am treated with respect and will be happy to bring my car back in for service. That's why I am so grateful of the dealership I work for! In the end, no matter what options/trim level you go with, you can't go wrong with an Edge! If I may suggest, try to find a low mile Certified Pre-Owned Edge. You'll pay less, have a better warranty than a new car, and you won't have to deal with loosing as much from depreciation as you would if you bought new! Good luck, and posts pics once you get it!

I guess it's all in how you drive? We have the 2.0 Ecoboost FWD & we're averaging around 25 mpg. Now on winter mix fuel, we're struggling to get 23. If I am the primary driver, there's no issue getting 28 mpg or higher all highway.

Most 3.5 V6's that I've seen, average around 18-20 mpg depending on driving habits/conditions & fwd/awd options. Mostly highway, you'll get around 20-22,mostly city, you'll get around 16-18.

Edited by lildisco

I found one in stock at my local dealership.

I'm abroad on a work assignment and was hoping to be back late Jan early Feb, but its looking like late Feb now - I'd like to process the purchase ahead of time so that I can collect as soon as I return and not use my wife's Mini for work.

I haven't bought a vehicle on finance for many years, so would really appreciate advice on this from you folks - I have a $20,000 deposit and no trade-in.

Should I consider using Ford's finance, or are there better options available?

Do you think that they'll be open to bargaining the price down?

2016 Ford Edge Titanium AWD - $36,000

3.5L V6, AWD, automatic, Shadow Black, new, 2016 Edge Titanium 2016 Ford Edge, AWD, 20" Ultra Bright Machined Aluminum Wheels, Auto-Dimming Driver's Sideview Mirror, Equipment Group 301A ...

You can often get an extra $500 rebate for financing with Ford Credit, and there is no pre-payment penalty. You can go out and refinance it with your bank or credit union if you can get a lower rate. You might need to wait 2 or 3 months but that's worst case.

It's easier to do the financing at the dealership also if that matters. Otherwise you'd need to get a buyer's order, take it to the bank and have them cut a check before you take delivery.

If you have the option of 0% financing versus a rebate you're probably better off taking the rebate with a $20K down payment but you'd need to work out the math to be sure.

Is $36K their "online price" after all discounts and rebates? Can you tell me the name of the dealership, their zip code and the last 4 digits of the VIN?

Best I can tell there should be $4K regular rebate plus $1K for Ford credit financing. Based on that the X plan price would be $36,199 so $36K is almost exactly true dealer invoice so that looks like a good deal. Sometimes you can get it for less than dealer invoice but not always.

Find out the documentation fee. Shouldn't be more than $100 or so. That's the only other variable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...