Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

MPG

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Riden and a guiden

Riden and a guiden

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2008

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:27 PM

The computer finally straighten out on mine. It's only getting between 19 and 20 mpg. The computer is now also showing about the same.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,327 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:25 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread. Many of the op's stated that they were around 100k on mileage. One part that directly affects fuel economy and is subject to milage is the mass airflow sensor. Located just after the air cleaner, it consists of a fine wire element, exposed directly to all of the air entering the engine.
Over time (aka miles) it will accumulate a fine film of dirt over the wire. This, in turn will throw off the air flow reading to the computer and directly affect gas milage.
To clean it, you unplug the electricsl connector, then pop off the air cleaner housing and spray "mass airflow sensor cleaner" directly on the device. (Never touch the wire as it's very delicate). Use only a cleaner designed specifically for a mass airflow sensor, never anything else.
IE https://www.amazon.c... sensor cleaner

Follow directions on the can, don't get too close. Let dry and spray liberally again. Before reinstalling the housing containing the MAF let it dry completely.

High mileage isn't the only thing that affects the sensor. If your not using an OEM air filter, you may be allowing fine dirt to bypass the filter (a slight gap anywhere around the filter seal is sufficient) will cause the MAF to get coated faster. (Just can't beat Motorcraft filters).
It's especially true if your using an oiled air cleaner, as the oil will lightly coat the wire and throw off the sensor. If you use these, remember to clean the MAF regularly.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W, Ntrain2k and lildisco like this

#23 OFFLINE   Scriz

Scriz

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts
  • Edge's Year:2008

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

I wish I got 20mpg.  I'll get roughly 23-24 on the highway, and 16 city.  My MPG on the dash reads 17.9 today after resetting it roughly 1000 miles ago.  I use low grade fuel in a relatively flat area and drive light footed.  Just recently changed sparkplugs to bosch iridium OE replacements, replaced air filter with OE replacement, and cleaned the MAF. 

#24 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,021 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

Have you run Techron Concentrate Plus through a couple of tanks of fuel?  Or BG 44K in a single tank?  I would do that closer to oil change time, even though it is said not needed.  Don't want that c*** in the oil for long.

Your mpg is very reasonable for the conditions stated.  It gets better at highway speeds the longer you drive, and your mpg shows that.  City/stopngo driving, cold weather startups, etc. KILL mpg.

• macbwt likes this

#25 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,489 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Yep my wife is running about 15mpg in mombus mileage.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#26 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,327 posts
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:00 PM

Daytrip today, running 75-100 mph and was getting 19-20 mpg. Normal city driving 14-15 mpg.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W and macbwt like this

#27 OFFLINE   Tightanium

Tightanium

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 47 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

My 3.5 gets 17 city and 25 highway. Then there's my 3.5 Eco F150 , 14 city and 21 highway. Finally my daughter just got a 17 Escape 2.0 Eco. Only one month old to her. 19 city and 28 highway. My point here is this is 3 completely different size and weight of cars and the mileage reflects the more you weigh the less gas mileage you will get. Not like you didn't know this. But for comparison , 17 mpg for an Edge is pretty good. If you're a bit lower maybe you have a lead foot.

#28 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,967 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

We get 19 in our 3.7 MKX with a mix of city and highway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users