Sync 3 Voicemail Playback

Or the chipset in the Samsung phones has an issue with the chipset that Ford is using. There are many layers to this problem. Android also allows 3rd party apps to "mess" with the BT Stack, that Apple does not allow. It could be some Samsung Specific software on the phone causing the incompatibility.

Another example of this is the way Internet Explorer used to cover up programmer errors like forgetting to close a tag. Firefox was more strict so you'd have something that worked on IE but not Firefox but the problem was actually a bug in the html strictly speaking.

You'd really have to do some deep troubleshooting on the bluetooth interface to figure out where the problem lies.

• Like 1

You'd really have to do some deep troubleshooting on the bluetooth interface to figure out where the problem lies.

I'm kind of hoping that Ford will do this, or at least offer guidance, rather than just leaving it to their customer. This is obviously not going away and data comms such as WhatsApp are becoming more popular. We all have our own areas of expertise, mine is not BT. So what do you say Ford?

Probably more accurate to say Android has challenges with sync. They all use the same Bluetooth standard so if Apple works and Android doesn't blame Android.

Not so in reagrds to the same BT standard. Android (Unless Google has recently changed this) does not support all the bluetooth profiles like Apple does. One of the reasons on a Pioneer Head unit (for example) that bluetooth only (vs. USB/Carplay/AppRadio connection) on iOS can utilize playlists, etc. whereas Android cannot.

Further complicate this by Samsung's BT implementation that (at least on Galaxy S4/S5) had known issues with various things.

Although I would say in Ford's defense that it's more difficult outside of Android Auto to ensure compatibility as there's many diff. versions of the OS, then you have the phone vendor and/or Phone provider that further tweak things so it makes it a bit difficult sometimes. Apple, being a closed ecosystem is *usually* easier to deal with in that regard, IMO.

My point was if a bluetooth profile is supported it's the same interface whether it's an Android or Apple device. But I do understand that not all profiles are supported by all devices.

And you're correct that every version and vendor you add to the list makes it exponentially more prone to problems and more difficult to test. Apple is easier in that regard.

... This issue has been reported to my support team; however, if the issue is on the Android side, there's not much that can be done through Ford.

Shaay

I would respectfully suggest that Ford can't just shrug its shoulders if Google changes Android, or Samsung (or anyone else) changes a new phone in a manner that makes it have Sync 3 compatibility problems. When Microsoft brings out a new operating system, then other software developers (even very large global ones) have to make sure that their products remain compatible, whether they like it or not. If this was a quirky phone operating system that is either on the way out, or only has a small customer base, then that would be different, but in this case it's not. Ford is not going to be able to dig their heels in like they can with their suppliers.