Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do I really need new rotors at 60k?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,188 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

Am I correct in assuming that the torx screw in the rotor doesn't actually do anything?  Why take it out then?  BTW, what size is it?  I'm about to do 4x pads and rotors on my Edge and from what I can gather, the Powerstop rotors do not have the torx screw in it.  I figure I can just take the old rotor off and toss it, and put the new rotor on and not have to worry about any torx bolt.

PS: I don't really trash the rotors.  I take them to recycler in town that will give you a few bucks for them.   But I do regularly pollute our pristine Texas air with wafting clouds of smoke from a fine Don Rafael 7x50 Churchill.    :victory:

You have to remove the screw from the rears.  I have never seen one on the fronts.   The screw is only for the assembly line to hold the rotor in place on the rear. In my video you see me toss the screws.  Never to be seen again.  If you do not remove the screw you will not get the rotor off.

Be liberal with the anti seize on the rotor caps where the wheel touches the rotor.  You will appreciate it the next time you have to remove the wheels. 

I turn my rotors over the Army garage as the funds go back into the garage to help pay for the tools and equipment I use.  Helps keep costs down.

Going on all out on those rotors and pads.   I just use the autozone duralast rotors and ceramic pads.  Thankfully I generally only have to buy one set maybe two for the life of the Edge depending on how many miles I put on it.

Edited by macbwt, 29 January 2017 - 08:52 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 189 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

MacT, thanks for the followup.  Do you recall what size the torx was in the rotor?  I have a few torx but not a whole set and want to make sure I have it before I start pulling off wheels!  And thanks much for your instructional vids, I've used a few tips from them and I got an AEM Filter Minder and installed it on the airbox.  I dig that.

• macbwt likes this

#43 OFFLINE   Mirage52

Mirage52

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 84 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

Did you rent a brake tool kit from the auto parts store?  Ya need it to turn in the rear pistons and they usually have that torx bit included.  Makes the job much easier!!!!  Kit is free to rent at Advance but ya gotta do a complete buy and return with a credit card.

Yes, I had the kit. 

• macbwt likes this

#44 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,188 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

MacT, thanks for the followup.  Do you recall what size the torx was in the rotor?  I have a few torx but not a whole set and want to make sure I have it before I start pulling off wheels!  And thanks much for your instructional vids, I've used a few tips from them and I got an AEM Filter Minder and installed it on the airbox.  I dig that.

Glad the video helped.  The screw in the rotor was a Phillips if I remember correctly.  I threw it away so do not know.  The low frequency dampers I believe were a 32 torx but I think I mention the size in the video. 

I am at about 80K miles on the AEM filter and still going.  The filter minder has me at 50 percent.  Thinking one day it may pop into the red. I use the Forscan app to monitor air flow of the MAF to verify I have no air flow issues.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users