Ford Edge Panoramic Vista Roofs cracking

Thanks. I just found a 2017 Ford Edge Sport without the panoramic vista roof. It has the 401A option. The MSRP is $44,640.00 and the dealer is willing to sell it to me for $39,634.00. I think I am going to go for it after I do more research on the Edge over the weekend. I was surprised the dealerships where offering such aggressive discounts on the new 2017's.

Saw online there is a class action suit against ford for these BAMRs. They are claiming Ford should have used laminated glass instead of a single layer of tempered glass.

Tempered glass sometimes just breaks for no reason- our table on our porch shattered a month ago on a nice calm day. A co-worker had the same thing happen as well. I've read about the tempered glass shower enclosures just shattering for no reason as well. There's been a few posts here about the rear glass just shattering as well.

The BAMR is one of the coolest features of the Edge. It seems stupid to NOT get it, even though I typically avoid sunroofs if possible. One really nice thing about it is there is practically no paint on the roof to maintain. Roof paint always gets beat by the sun. The only large horizontal panel is the hood and it's fairly small. Keep the hood waxed and overall the paint will look good for a long time. The sides always stay nice looking since they don't get the UV, standing water, ice, etc. like the hood and roof.

Mine cracked a couple months back. Don't have any idea what caused it. Didn't seem to be hit by anything according to the repair guy. We have never had it open so it didn't crack due to movement. The crack started on the front edge of the glass about 3 inches in on the passenger side and made a U shape all the way around to almost the front edge of the glass on the driver side. It was not a cheap piece of glass. Sure glad I have glass replacement on my insurance policy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Ours cracked on the front glass on Christmas Day as we were driving home. No evidence of a rock hitting it and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if it had. According to Corporate's "pen" and "flashlight" test there is evidence of a potential impact and so will not cover it under warranty. I contend that what they're seeing is a bit of the glass that flaked off as it split under stress/temperature. I'm planning on fighting this with them but I'm also unwilling to drive at highway speeds with a compromised roof. This is my 4th vehicle with a sunroof and our second Edge. To say I'm unimpressed is an understatement. Going through this now, I'd have to say if the Vista roof is this fragile I wouldn't have bought it.

Edited by Coolpooler
  • Like 2

That may be, but if it was an impact it's really, really tiny. I will be using a USB microscope I bought for my wife's classroom to get a closer look and I'll post pics here once I have. Either way, it leaves me with three conclusions: 1) Even a small rock is sufficient to damage the glass, which is really going to suck living in rural Alberta, and leads me to suspect that Ford isn't making the glass strong enough. 2) It is a stress fracture, which I intend to prove, and is a manufacturing defect or, 3) We are just really unlucky and I'm hoping that's not the case since my insurance coverage is limited glass and it'll be out of pocket for me.

• Like 1

You really need another professional opinion if you have any hope of fighting Ford on it. A glass shop should be able to tell you if it's a stress crack or not. You could also try another dealer but be up front about the situation. Ford goes by what the dealer says so sometimes you can get a different answer with a different dealer.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Pahannula said:

It's a stress fracture.  It's happened to mine in 3 different places and 3 different times.  My Ford dealership pretty much said there is nothing that can be done because it is not under warranty any more.  I would never get another one.

I've owned an Edge and a MKX and moderated this forum since 2008.   Yours is the first I've heard with that type of recurring problem.   If that's what is happening you have some type of chassis issue.  Has it ever been wrecked?  Regardless of the problem it's a defect and defects are only covered during the warranty period.   I'd suggest trading it in.  If you don't want another Edge that's understandable but that could happen to any vehicle from any mfr and it's not common on Edges.