85K spark plug change, PTU fluid replace

doji_nj

Hi,

Long time lurker, have learnt a lot on the forum. Thanks to all the invaluable contributors here.

Have an 08 SEL that has 85K miles. Bought certified at 28K miles and the ESP finished in Oct 2015. During the extended warranty, the radio unit, front struts, front tie rods, PTU seal, and intermediate shaft were replaced so I came out a bit ahead. Frankly, the dealership was awful and a fair amount of complaining at my end got them to actually fix stuff that was wrong. I should have switched service for the dealership early - lesson learned.

In 2016, changed the tires with Michelin LTX Premier and the ride feels so much more plush and reassuring. The cooling fan went out, so that was a $350 replacement.

Decided to have the spark plugs replaced when the right rear bearing went out this week. Also tried to get the shop such out some of the sludge out of the PTU and fill in fresh gear oil. Was told the PTU is on its way out, but I felt the guy was trying to sell me a PTU replacement. This was at a local transmission shop. I paid up to the tune of $850 including tax for labor and parts for the rear bearing / hub and spark plugs. Granted it was high but I did not want to haggle given the car is primarily driven by wife, and I wanted to get it back on the road quickly. And have the option of a warranty replacement if the bearing does not last 12 months.

Would like to hold on to the Edge this a little longer than sign up for new car payments.

My initial observation is the engine is smoother at idle, gear shifting is much smoother, and the gears hold much more on gradual uphill gradients. We are in a hilly part of NJ and the jerk / clunking felt during gear changes seems to have smoothened out a LOT. The ignition coils were in good shape, so only the spark plugs were replaced with the OEM.

Am getting the smell of PTU fluid at stops as some of the overfill vents out, and hope this is temporary. I will change the PTU fluid at end of each oil change going forward, and see if this prolongs the PTU.

Next, I plan to change the transmission fluid and coolant DIY.

• Like 2

This may help you a bit even though it is a 2011 Edge. Personally I take my Edge to the shop to have the transmission fluid changed (less hassle and the price is pretty reasonable)

My ole 2008 ran a long time with some long miles.

Thanks so much! I actually have subscribed to your YouTube channel for quite a while now and saw the video earlier this afternoon, which has given me the confidence to attempt it myself! Thanks again for all that you have contributed to our understanding of the Edge through your videos - much much appreciated!!

• Like 2