Sync 3 Navigation - where are the road names

I noticed a lot with SYNC's navigation that road names are not displayed consistently or conveniently.

Example, I noticed when coming up to a main intersection, the cross direction street is unlabeled. if i zoom out manually, the street will be labeled out of the screen's view. I normally keep the zoom level on automatic.

I've noticed other primary streets completely unlabeled. Why is this? Why label a road out of view of the current zoom level. I've noticed secondary roads labeled in view vs. primary roads. Very inconsistent and not helpful.

Hey commbubba19,

The navigation system is produced by a third party company, HERE Maps. I have passed along your feedback and concerns regarding the street labels. However, you can always inquire with HERE for additional questions at www.navigation.com or 866-462-8837.

Cara

Sorry, but that is BS. Ford produces and designs the system, but HERE Provides the Map data. What he is talking about has nothing to do with the data, since it obviously knows the name, but how the Ford(Or whoever it was contracted to) designed Nav OS is choosing to display it. HERE provides it for many other manufactures and they don't have the issue the OP is talking about.

Sorry, but that is BS. Ford produces and designs the system, but HERE Provides the Map data. What he is talking about has nothing to do with the data, since it obviously knows the name, but how the Ford(Or whoever it was contracted to) designed Nav OS is choosing to display it. HERE provides it for many other manufactures and they don't have the issue the OP is talking about.

Ray is correct. HERE is the underlying navigation engine but Sync is interpreting and displaying that data. It's like some sort of algorithm is built in to display certain roads based on distance and zoom level of the map. I have the map view set to auto zoom so it adjusts. Strangely, it never seems to always show the same road names but randomly selects which names to display. Like stated above, I'd prefer main roads displayed over random.

What's even more redundant is that it displays what road i'm currently on twice. Once on the bottom of the screen and again on the actual display. Not to mention the center display nav option will also display my current road. Sometimes I wonder who designs the GUI's for Ford.

Though the edge's dash displays are nice and very modern, they leave a lot to be desired for the user with some technical knowledge.

• Like 1

While on the topic of navigation, I agree with the about it's very annoying. Another question though, is there a way to choose from multiple routes when a destination is selected? The only option I see is detour. All of my old navigation systems gave me a list of like 7 or 8 different routes for me to choose from. It would be nice to have this here.

• Like 1

While on the topic of navigation, I agree with the about it's very annoying. Another question though, is there a way to choose from multiple routes when a destination is selected? The only option I see is detour. All of my old navigation systems gave me a list of like 7 or 8 different routes for me to choose from. It would be nice to have this here.

Go into the Navigation settings and disable the option to automatically select the fastest route. You'll get 3 route options when you set a route then.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/Ford-SYNC-3-Supplement-version-1_sycsy_EN-US_05_2015.pdf

See page 84.

• Like 2

Go into the Navigation settings and disable the option to automatically select the fastest route. You'll get 3 route options when you set a route then.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/Ford-SYNC-3-Supplement-version-1_sycsy_EN-US_05_2015.pdf

See page 84.

Thanks, I'll definitely try it!

See page 84.

I tried it but unfortunately the three options it gives are the same shortest, fastest, or eco settings (which barely vary in directions). I was hoping for a few more options, that took me on a different path (say I know that a certain highway is busy at a particular time of day so I would rather take another highway (that would normally take longer) or a toll highway. There is no option to see these routes even if I select or deselect the various options...toll roads, highways, etc.). Very frustrating.

Use waypoints. Enter the destination and start guidance. Enter the intersection you know you want to take as a new destination and choose set as waypoint. You can have multiple waypoints.

Using waypoints to select a different highway is annoying because it keeps trying to get you off that highway and back on the original route. The only way to fix it is to set multiple waypoints along the highway you want to take, which is totally annoying and time consuming especially if your route is fairly long. It shouldn't be like this.

I guess that won't work if the routes are close together. But if you know the roads you want to take then why do you need nav? You could always store the address and pull it back up when you get close to the destination.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be better to have more route flexibility, just trying to find a workable solution since they're probably not going to change the software.

I guess that won't work if the routes are close together. But if you know the roads you want to take then why do you need nav? You could always store the address and pull it back up when you get close to the destination.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be better to have more route flexibility, just trying to find a workable solution since they're probably not going to change the software.

If I know the roads slightly I do exactly that and turn on the navigation once I'm on my way. But sometimes I just want to see some alternatives even if I know the way (I think) I want to go. I get this is obviously a shortcoming of the system that won't change. I'm just surprised to see it as I've had navigation on every vehicle I've owned since buying a new 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe back in 2003, and even that nav had multiple route options. Oh well :/

Yeah then the "detour" function is probably more similar to what you're looking for, but that's only an additional route on top of the fastest/shortest/eco routes. Another thing you could do is set the route, start driving the one you want with the prompts muted, then unmute them once it updates the route to the one you wanted.

Yeah then the "detour" function is probably more similar to what you're looking for, but that's only an additional route on top of the fastest/shortest/eco routes. Another thing you could do is set the route, start driving the one you want with the prompts muted, then unmute them once it updates the route to the one you wanted.

Yes the detour is exactly the option, but again there is very little variation from the original route.