2016 Edge won't start on 20 degree weather

four7bird

This might be a good thread to talk about "battery life / service". I am a big believer in using a Battery Tender (float charger) type product for occasional battery "top off's". If my Edge has gone more than a couple of days without being driven I hook up the charger via the supplied quick connect and charge it overnight. Having several vehicles I have found that this practice extends my battery life cycle and has so far prevented "no start" issues. I know that many won't think this would work for them, but I have noticed that my Edge will be on my float charger for a full 14 hrs or so before the battery is indicated as fully charged even after driving it. I suspect that these newer gen. cars consume a lot more power while in a static mode than we realize. I any case four7bird, I hope you get your situation squared away and let us know if you needed a new battery or just a full battery recharge.

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

Water in the gas tank is another possibility. Good idea to use a product called "heat" once in late fall to prevent the water in the gas tank from freezing.

Although I've never heard of the occurring at 20°. Usually happens when the temp drop to 10°f or lower. But 20°will freeze water given enough time.

(Also more prevalent if using gas with Ethanol as the Ethanol draws water to it.)

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

I can go days without driving my Fusion so I have to top it off with the charger once every month or two. I'm trying to do the other vehicles every 3-6 months just to be safe. It's really not optional these days given the electrical loads on new vehicles especially if they aren't driven long distances every day. I never get more than 3-3.5 years out of a battery anyway.

• Like 1

I find it difficult to believe that four7bird's battery us shot. The car's only a year old.

Possible I suppose, but I would lean towards checking for water in the gas forming an ice block (starts ok above freezing, does not start below freezing) or reprogramming the pcm (not setting the fuel system rich enough to start after cold soak).

• Like 1