Ford Edge 2013 60k Service

gavinrsa

Hi all you Ford Aficionados,

The climate control on my driver side for my 2013 Ford Edge was not working so I popped into my local Ford Dealer for them to have a look at it. I was advised it was probably a software problem and my on board computer had to be reset and this would be in the order of $145. I was a bit amazed at the cost of resetting the computer as being fairly knowledgeable in computers I was under the impression that this just took the pressing of a button, but who am I to argue with the Ford professional. I was also told that they couldn't do the resetting right then due to technician shortages.

I was then also informed that my Edge needed a 60k service and that this would be in the order of $782, I was still in shock from the $145 charge and though that she was at 62k now so decided to go ahead with the service while I was there. (at the onset I was however led to believe that they could only do the resetting if they did the service as well).

My charge had ballooned from a simple resetting, in my mind, to $927.....

So to put it in a nutshell, I went in to have my climate control sorted out and I walked out with a bill of $927 (I am an idiot I know).

When I got home and I came to my senses and got over the shock of the charge, I put a call into the dealer to express my shock at the total charge, they hummed and hated a bit and have reimbursed me $103.

Before my complaint I had a 60k service charge of $782 brought down to $679, and then the resetting of my climate control of $145. I was therefore charged a total of $824 and I am now suffering from PTSD over the whole episode and this has not put the Ford Dealership in good standing with me.

I feel like I was taken advantage of by the Ford Dealer, am I correct in this assessment can anybody advise me.... and what is my best recourse of action to ensure that this does not happen to anybody else.

Totally Shocked

Never go by what the dealer says is "recommended" service. Dealers are independent businesses so they don't answer to Ford. Your owners manual and supplemental material tells you exactly what Ford says you need to do to your Edge at 60k miles. Which, IIRC, is just an oil change and inspections.

You're under no obligation to do what the dealer recommends. That was most definitely a ripoff and I wouldn't go back to that dealer. If you want to do something, take your Ford maintenance info to the dealership principal/owner and show them that you now know what Ford says is needed at 60k versus what the service dept said was needed. If the owner didn't know they were doing this then you might get some relief. Or they might just say sorry you agreed to it. But that's really your only recourse at this point.

The labor to reset the module is a bit high as well. I would thin that's no more than 1 hour including diagnostics.

• Like 2

No idea what your service was and included. I will say I am servicing my 2011 Edge and the parts are 6 injectors 150.00 dollars, 6 plugs 30.00 dollars, two down stream O2 sensors 125.00 dollars, 2 Upstreem O2 sensors 200.00 dollars, 6 coils 150.00 dollars (motorcraft OEM), PCV 5.00 dollars. My total for parts will be 650.00 plus some supplies, MAF cleaner, Throttle body cleaner, etc. Shop labor bay rental will be about 75.00 dollars.

Pretty sure the dealer would hit you for over 2K to do this type of service.

• Like 1

My 2013 is due it's 60k. Got a card in the mail from my Dealer with a special price of $299.95. Looked pretty much like a regular service & oil change. That usually runs about $50.00.

Burke

P.S. Sold the 33 Ford Victoria, have a 34 Ford Panel Truck now. Had a 35 Ford Panel Truck that I sold back in 2011. Missed it ever since. So when I saw the 34, I just had to have it. You know it's not stock. I'm a Street Rodder to the core. LT-1, 700R4, etc, etc, etc. Pictures to follow soon.

Edited by Redbow
  • Like 1

No idea what your service was and included. I will say I am servicing my 2011 Edge and the parts are 6 injectors 150.00 dollars, 6 plugs 30.00 dollars, two down stream O2 sensors 125.00 dollars, 2 Upstreem O2 sensors 200.00 dollars, 6 coils 150.00 dollars (motorcraft OEM), PCV 5.00 dollars. My total for parts will be 650.00 plus some supplies, MAF cleaner, Throttle body cleaner, etc. Shop labor bay rental will be about 75.00 dollars.

Pretty sure the dealer would hit you for over 2K to do this type of service.

But you won't need to do all that at 60K. 60K is pretty much just an oil change.

• Like 1