Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

2017 Edge - dash speaker replacement done

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 49 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

Thanks, I plan to do the dash speaker replacement in the next few days. My plan is to use the new speaker "as is" and see how that sounds. I don't think I am willing to take on the replacement of the front door speakers myself, but may have an audio shop do that if needed. I would love to think that the overall sound is improved enough with the addition on the new dash speaker to negate that action, but that remains to be seen / heard.

You know what? I forgot to test it with no bass blocker added at all. I was thinking it was to be a test of the two different blockers. Sorry about that. It should sound fine with none, but I'd expect it to be a little cleaner with the lesser of the blocker options. Looking forward to seeing your impressions. Hopefully I'm not just imagining the differences. ;)

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Chipster

Chipster

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 461 posts
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

I got Steely Dan all set to go,  :dance: all I need is for UPS to bring me that speaker.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Chipster

Chipster

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 461 posts
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

I received my Infinity speaker yesterday (Thanks Tacyon) and went about the task of removing the old one in preparation to install the new one. I must say getting that dash grille up is a bit nerve wracking. You can get to the back end of it by opening the storage compartment, but if you pop the clips all the way you can’t close the compartment lid which prevents any further action. (unless I missed something?) So after a bit of fiddling, I managed to work the grille up, but not completely out of its clip base then with the use of a long shank screwdriver did the same with the front grille clips. I will say that those clips are pretty tight and I kept telling myself to “take it easy” and they finally unseated. Once the grill was removed the rest of the replacement operation is pretty basic and no further issues were noted. I used the Infinity as received without any other additions. (bass blockers)

My take on the sound difference: As Lifeisabeach noted it is hard to remember the details of a speaker vs speaker comparison when there is a time gap in that comparison. That being said, I found that there is a general improvement in tonal brightness and a bit tighter bass sound to my ears after the replacement. I found it was well worth the money and time to make this speaker exchange. I am not sure what others used for their music source, but I used and listen mainly to CD’s so that was my source of choice. I am now more than before, undecided as to whether I will get the front door speakers changed out or not. For the time being the overall sound improvement to this system with the addition of this new speaker will work for me!

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and Lifeisabeach like this

#24 OFFLINE   Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 49 posts
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

I received my Infinity speaker yesterday (Thanks Tacyon) and went about the task of removing the old one in preparation to install the new one. I must say getting that dash grille up is a bit nerve wracking. You can get to the back end of it by opening the storage compartment, but if you pop the clips all the way you can’t close the compartment lid which prevents any further action. (unless I missed something?) So after a bit of fiddling, I managed to work the grille up, but not completely out of its clip base then with the use of a long shank screwdriver did the same with the front grille clips. I will say that those clips are pretty tight and I kept telling myself to “take it easy” and they finally unseated. Once the grill was removed the rest of the replacement operation is pretty basic and no further issues were noted. I used the Infinity as received without any other additions. (bass blockers)

My take on the sound difference: As Lifeisabeach noted it is hard to remember the details of a speaker vs speaker comparison when there is a time gap in that comparison. That being said, I found that there is a general improvement in tonal brightness and a bit tighter bass sound to my ears after the replacement. I found it was well worth the money and time to make this speaker exchange. I am not sure what others used for their music source, but I used and listen mainly to CD’s so that was my source of choice. I am now more than before, undecided as to whether I will get the front door speakers changed out or not. For the time being the overall sound improvement to this system with the addition of this new speaker will work for me!

Glad the difference wasn't just my imagination.  :D. If you think about what's going on here, the original speaker was just a 3.5" woofer cone with no tweeter.  Since the replacement speakers we are now using are 2-way speakers and are now putting out crisp highs thanks to a high-quality tweeter now in use, it's clear that the signal going to the dash is completely unfiltered.  That means the old speaker, which was a relatively poor one to begin with, was trying to reproduce a greater range of audio than it's capable of doing well.  So it's no wonder the audio was so "muddy".  This does make me wonder if the door speakers are similarly unfiltered.

#25 OFFLINE   Tacyon

Tacyon

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 386 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

re: " This does make me wonder if the door speakers are similarly unfiltered."  -> I can tell you from the 2011 and 2013 absolutely!

In my 2011 IIRC, they were about the same quality frame as the 2013 and presumably the 2015+ except the 2011 had paper cones!

In the 2011 I only replaced the front and back seat speakers with the Infinity KAPPA 682.11cf  (back then I think they were model 682.9CF) and it was like a different sound system. Ok, I might be gushing a bit.. but only a little bit. The stock amplifier is still anemically trying to power all those speakers and goes daft at the upper end of the power spectrum.

Something you also have to remember about as least for the dash speaker, not only is it a WAY better engineered speaker, but it's also only 3ohms vs 6ohms for the stock speaker. (assuming they didn't change that for the 2015+ premium sound) This results is a slight louder sounding output from the Infinity 3ohm speaker. I remember thinking, "OH there is sound that comes from that opening!!" But it was also clean, vibrant sound.

Replacing the door speakers in what fits the new rounds can only be "moar better."

Now, if there was only a way to get pre in and outs from the head unit. I would be a very happy camper. But alas I'll have to settle for the DSP method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users