Manual Shift Mode simple explanation?

chefduane

My '11 AWD Limited has a manual shift mode option. I have searched various sites looking for a simple explanation of how it works, with limited luck. I know its not like a paddle shift. Is I like dropping down into 2nd or low on a column shifter? I admit that I have not attempted to use manual shift, or experimented with it, as just leaving the trans in 'drive' seems to meet my driving needs. (Pretty flat here in DFW.) I do plan on driving to the E. Tn. Smoky Mtns in March and would like to understand how to use manual mode before we go. Thanks for any info!

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. Mods may move as necessary.

Did you not look in the owners manual? It's all explained in great detail so you don't have to go searching.

I assume you have manual mode PRNDM with the plus and minus buttons on the shifter? If so they work exactly like the paddles. In the mountains, put it in M and use the buttons to shift up and down as needed. When going down a steep long hill keep it in first or second gear to provide engine braking and stay off the brakes as much as possible.

If you just have PRNDL with grade assist, put it in Low and use grade assist. It will work pretty well in most cases but not quite as good as being able to select and hold specific gears.

• Like 1

Manual schmanual. I ain't lookin' in no stinking manual!! (Just kidding...) I will do that for an in depth description, but your info was very helpful. Yes, I do have PRNDM with the shift buttons. Thanks!

(PS: I have been in a hard cast on my right ankle for about a month and have not driven in that time, and I've been a lazy ass about going to the garage. And my wife's been driving the Edge instead of her Trailblazer while I'm rehabbing. <I could probably come up with a few more excuses for not RTFM if needed.>) :)

• Like 1

I hope almost all owners are using them when descending a steep grade, otherwise they're cooking the brakes. Outside of that I've found it mostly useful for downshifting prior to accelerating to pass.

I had one of the first selectshift Ford vehicles - a 2000 Lincoln LS. It was more of a novelty back then but the pros and cons are still basically the same.

• 3 months later...

Yeah I use them on steep hills. Sometimes I just use it for fun. Otherwise, the Sport mode basically does the same thing without having to remember to shift. The gears reset to 1st when you come to a stop and sometimes I forget I'm in manual and the engine revs really high before I remember. LOL

My wife has an EOS with the DSG transmission and THAT'S like driving a real manual.

Edited by Mirage52