2017 Edge - replacing rear (cargo area) speakers in 12-speaker system

As part of the speaker replacements in my wife's 2017 Edge, I want to replace the pair of smaller speakers located in the rear pillars of the cargo area. These speakers only come with models having the upgraded 12-speaker system. I can't find any information at all on these speakers. No guides on removal, what replacements will fit, nada. So I need to get into this area to see what the speaker size is (likely 3.5") and what the cutout dimensions are before considering alternatives to put in. I took a handful of photos showing the speaker and general area of that pillar. I'm assuming I can just pop off the cover (which as the photos show is somewhat conical in how it extends from the pillar), but obviously need to take care to avoid scratching the panels.

Any suggestions/advice is welcome. I'll keep looking for any guides I can find for a similar speaker installation in other vehicles. I'll keep this thread updated with any progress I make through completion of the job.

post-39725-0-53871100-1484318403_thumb.jpg

post-39725-0-16543200-1484318414_thumb.jpg

post-39725-0-16418700-1484318425_thumb.jpg

post-39725-0-77525400-1484318435_thumb.jpg

Just checked the shop manual and it looks like you have to remove the entire c/d pillar trim panel. However it isnt clear whether the speaker cover is just snapped in or if its a part of the entire trim panel. It looks more like its snapped in, but from the backside.

Just checked the shop manual and it looks like you have to remove the entire c/d pillar trim panel. However it isnt clear whether the speaker cover is just snapped in or if its a part of the entire trim panel. It looks more like its snapped in, but from the backside.

Alrighty. That panel... pops off easy like most panels? It doesn't look like there's much to it. Just pry it out on the sides?

I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble or that you would notice the difference.

Well they do face directly at the driver/passenger at head level, so a decent set of speakers with good tweeters should be noticeable. At the moment, it looks like I'm going to bypass the in-door tweeters entirely due to the complexity of wiring up a proper component speaker set and putting 2-ways down low, so having better tweeters in the back since it's at ear level to help make up for it is my goal.

I pulled back part of the panel to get a look inside. The speaker is bolted to that grill piece that extends out and the cover does appear to snap in from the inside, at least partly (more on that in a moment). Replacing these speakers may require removing pretty much all the panels in the cargo area because this one in particular is overlapped by the panel below it. Then there's the matter of how to actually mount a speaker in there. Here's a photo I snapped. It's hard to make out much but gives a few clues.

post-39725-0-94007800-1484404568_thumb.jpg

Here's how I think this is actually attached, and if I'm right, it'll be easier than at first glance. Not seen in that photo is a pair of tabs approximately 2" long at the bottom. I think this speaker assembly is inserted from the front by sliding the lower part in first, setting the tabs in place, then popping it in around the edges and top. This is similar to how a lot of battery covers are held in place on most electronics.

Yeah the lower panels have to be taken out first, luckily its fairly easy, remove the trunk loading trim piece(held on with some bolts and clips) and then the large left and right side pieces are one complete assembly so just pry them off carefully. I sent you a message with some of the manual info that'll hopefully help.

Yeah the lower panels have to be taken out first, luckily its fairly easy, remove the trunk loading trim piece(held on with some bolts and clips) and then the large left and right side pieces are one complete assembly so just pry them off carefully. I sent you a message with some of the manual info that'll hopefully help.

Thanks for the details. It appears to be about the same process I went through removing the rear quarter panel to replace the sub in my 2010 Edge. I think I'm going to sit on this part for a bit and replace the door speakers first, then see if I want to continue with these.