2013 Ford Edge Sport TCO after 3 years

arabski

I sold my car when changing my job last December. Since I logged any expense related to the car, I was able to calculate the total cost of ownership for it. I hope it will help anybody make up his/her mind when buying a car like that in the future. Enjoy:

Trim: Sport, model: 2013, purchase date: Nov 2013. Bought via Saudi dealer in Dammam, Saudi Arabia for $ 41,333k (prices are a bit off in the Middle East). Sold - Dec 2013 with 92,722 kms (57,965 miles) on the odo meter for $ 17,333.

I burned 13077 liters of fuel in total, fuel cost $2,878.40 (Saudi Arabia & Bahrain fuel prices mostly)

Total cost of other expenses, including:

- insurance,

- set of tyres

- two sets of windscreen wipers

- a gear shifter (link to other thread here)

- servicing and accessories

- window tinting

- export and registration fees (at some point I moved to Bahrain)

- DLRs from drivebright

...all up it was $5,745 spent in 3 years.

(intentionally excluding only the JL Audio StealthBox, that we all know does not make much financial sense to own, but I didn't want it to spoil the calculation)

Sum it all up and deduct the sale price -> TCO for 3 years and 60k miles comes down to ~ $32,623.30

divide everything again by 38 months and here is what you got ->

Total cost per month: $858.51

Total cost per 100km: $106.34 (~$170 per 100 miles if I count correctly).

I wonder if anybody can relate. I can't tell if this is a lot or not - there are plenty of hidden costs that we usually do not take into consideration when buying a car - this time I managed to capture any dollar, dirham or dinar spent - hence the detailed summary.

I really liked the car, I am considering getting '16 Edge Sport if the local dealer in UAE presents any good offer for these last year models - especially having learnt they DO provide a warranty for the sunroof this time (3 years) and servicing plan offering basically 6x oil changes in 3 years (one every 6 months).

Here's a link to my motostat fuel tracking profile (non-fuel related costs remain hidden).

post-28725-0-79175900-1484555323_thumb.jpg

Edited by arabski
  • Like 1

Arabsk, seems you moved to UAE? If that's the case, ask the dealer if they have leasing options. The depreciation you had is terrible, and I expect the new Edge will be even worse since it is even more expensive & the market in GCC is currently not good for new cars, but excellent if want to buy a used one though.

• Like 1