Edge Shift to Park Warning Message

DD2000GT

Reposting per Moderator for any that get a dash error message to shift to park when the shifter is in the park position:

I registered to this site specifically to post on this semi-common issue to help any like myself who research how to fix issues themselves. I can attest this issue can easily be fixed with just replacing a $5 microswitch and less than 1 hour of easy time. Thanks to the previous poster that posted the microswitch info, but I saw a few posts with the wrong parts being shown to fix this issue. You need a SPDT three lead switch with the posts on the left side. The CORRECT Omron switch part number is D2HW - BL201M - this version has three leads already in place for easy spicing. I got mine from Mouser Electronics for $5.02. If you want the version with the solder posts, the part number is D2HW - BL201H but you will probably need to remove a lot more stuff to get this resoldered. I went ahead and bought a few spares as well as I expect this to fail again at some point... Don't worry about getting one with a lever, as you will pull the lever off the old switch and put it on the new one.

The great part is you won't have to remove the shifter if you get the switch with the leads already attached. Start by setting the parking brake, then start your car and move the shifter into drive (you need to do this so the console cover can move back away from the dash face-plate), then turn the car back off. Remove the center console with the cup holders. Remove the two side trim pieces by pulling straight up. Then, remove the 6 screws holding this cover down under the trim pieces with a Torx T-20 bit. Now, separate the center console from the dash face-plate - this also pulls straight out (towards the shifter) and is kind of difficult so pull carefully but aggressively. Pull straight up on the console from the rear closest to the storage box and it will pop loose and up. You will not be able to pull it up much due to a few wires still attached to the console, but it is more than enough to get the job done. Working from the passenger side, locate the existing microswitch mounted to the shifter towards the front. Pry it away from the shifter using a thin blade flathead screwdriver and un-route the wiring so you can pull this switch out enough to work with it. I cut the leads off the old switch where it was soldered in place and I had enough wire sticking out that I could splice the new one in easily. NOTE - Leave just a little of the wire coloring on the old switch so you can match the wires up to the new switch leads as the colors are not the same. Take the lever off the old switch and press it into place on the new switch, then re-mount the new switch to the shifter by pressing the posts into the appropriate holes on the shifter base. NOTE - install the switch with the lever down and the leads on top. Put the console cover back into place just enough so you can operate the shifter. Start the car and test your splices before putting everything back in place in case you need to pull it back out and fix the wiring. After your sure everything is fine, put the console back together in reverse order you took it out. Then smile that you finally fixed this annoying problem for $5 and less than an hours work!

I hope I helped someone from either paying the crazy dealership price or buy a completely new shifter and spend much more time and effort taking things apart to do this.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you for sharing all of this invaluable information! My husband and I just bought a used 2013 Edge Limited with 28,000 miles three weeks ago and have been dealing with the "shift to park" issue for the last two weeks. At first it was sporadic and now it is almost every time we stop the car. It is already at the shop and supposed to be checked out tomorrow, but I feel good that I have options if the dealership that we purchased it from refuses to take care of it. It's also great to know we are not alone in our experiences. Hoping it is as good as new soon as we LOVE the car otherwise. Fingers crossed (and wires uncrossed)!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. First time poster.

I have been having this same problem, I actually followed this thread over from the previous thread. Thank you so much for posting the simple fix to this very annoying problem. I have let my husband know about this and we will be ordering the part and hopefully finding time within the next couple of weekends to get this fixed! I have only had this car about 6 weeks and it does it more often than not. (2013 Edge Sport, bought with 58K on it). Last night we could not get the warning to go away at all. For now I will try what other posters said and click the safety button a few times and see if that works until we can get this fixed.

I was starting to get pretty disappointed, I have been wanting this car for a long time and finally got my hands on one...and now this.

Again, thank you so much for this, and taking the time to write out detailed instructions on taking everything apart. I am so thrilled to not have to deal with the dealer on this one!

• 2 weeks later...

I still have this problem from time to time. It really doesn't bother me much as it hasn't caused me any real problems, but I do want to fix it. This switch seems to me like it's the way to go. I'll give that a try before replacing the entire shifter.

All the threads I've read involve the Edge and I have a 13 MKX. My console seems to be a little different then the Edge pic's that were posted. The MKX console is all wrapped in leather and seems to have less plastic.

Does anyone have a link to the disassembly of an MKX console? Does it come apart the same as the Edge console?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 2013 Ford Edge Sport purchased 07/2012, currently 44,200 klm went in for service just yesterday and I asked the dealership about the warning light prior to reading all this and they fixed the shifter for $550. and change. After reading all the comments and being a true supporter of FORD and have been for 25 years plus, I am disappointed because of the lack of transparency and the fact this has been a known problem from 2011 - 2015 and affects many Makes and Models. I am sending Ford a letter that this should be a re-call item and that if this were translated to 20,000 owners of Ford products at $550 each then that is a lot of money that consumers are dispensing with and maybe this is a W5 issue. "Consumer Alert"

Now after the dealer replace the shifter my new warranty for that part is only 3 years and 100,000 klm, so every 3 years I guess I am to anticipate a repair. But for all those out there that haven't had the repair I was told that if it wasn't fixed it would lock up my operation and not just a simple dead battery but make the vehicle completely in operable and towing required. The dealership has sold our family several vehicles, to my husband, son and myself. Had they told me about this, I would of never spent $44,000. I am not impressed at all.

My 2013 Ford Edge Sport purchased 07/2012, currently 44,200 klm went in for service just yesterday and I asked the dealership about the warning light prior to reading all this and they fixed the shifter for $550. and change. After reading all the comments and being a true supporter of FORD and have been for 25 years plus, I am disappointed because of the lack of transparency and the fact this has been a known problem from 2011 - 2015 and affects many Makes and Models. I am sending Ford a letter that this should be a re-call item and that if this were translated to 20,000 owners of Ford products at $550 each then that is a lot of money that consumers are dispensing with and maybe this is a W5 issue. "Consumer Alert"

Now after the dealer replace the shifter my new warranty for that part is only 3 years and 100,000 klm, so every 3 years I guess I am to anticipate a repair. But for all those out there that haven't had the repair I was told that if it wasn't fixed it would lock up my operation and not just a simple dead battery but make the vehicle completely in operable and towing required. The dealership has sold our family several vehicles, to my husband, son and myself. Had they told me about this, I would of never spent $44,000. I am not impressed at all.

This is why I join a Forum for every vehicle I own. I'm on 9 Mustang Forums. I'm on 1 Ford Edge Forum. I'm on 1 Ford F150 Forum. I'm on 2 Boat Forums. I was having the 'Shift to Park' problem and used the 'Search' feature of this Forum. I found this Thread with the part number and instructions to do the repair myself. All fixed for $5.02. Its been working perfect for over 3 weeks and still going strong :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my 2013 Ford Edge has just started to do this, when I shift into park and turn off the truck, I get a warning, SHIFT INTO PARK. Like what the heck? I would then start my truck put it into gear and shut off and get the same warning. I had to turn off and on a couple of times before this would go away. I have read that a lot of other consumers are having this same issue, and of course Ford wants $600 to replace the gear shift? Why was this not a recall notice if so many are having this issue?

So what do I do? Do I take it in and have the shifter replaced before I get stranded somewhere and I cannot put my truck into gear at all, or do I follow other peoples comments with quick help tips. example by clicking the little black button you press to put your shifter into drive? I heard once you turn off the truck and the warning light comes on, just click this black button 2 times and the light goes away, so it goes away but doesn't fix the problem?

And of course my warranty has expired, gee isn't that just wonderful

Hi, my 2013 Ford Edge has just started to do this, when I shift into park and turn off the truck, I get a warning, SHIFT INTO PARK. Like what the heck? I would then start my truck put it into gear and shut off and get the same warning. I had to turn off and on a couple of times before this would go away. I have read that a lot of other consumers are having this same issue, and of course Ford wants $600 to replace the gear shift? Why was this not a recall notice if so many are having this issue?

So what do I do? Do I take it in and have the shifter replaced before I get stranded somewhere and I cannot put my truck into gear at all, or do I follow other peoples comments with quick help tips. example by clicking the little black button you press to put your shifter into drive? I heard once you turn off the truck and the warning light comes on, just click this black button 2 times and the light goes away, so it goes away but doesn't fix the problem?

And of course my warranty has expired, gee isn't that just wonderful

Order the $5.02 part and fix it yourself. If you lived near me, I would do it for you. I'm old, disabled and not very smart and it was easy for me to do. :). The part number in the first post of this Thread 'really' does fix the problem :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ford has known about this issue for a long time, but they aren't prepared to fix it. I have an issue with my F-150 and the brake warning light coming on intermittently, which is apparently an issue in the instrument cluster. Ford has known about it for years, but they would rather get the $300 plus installation for a new cluster than fix the problem. Of course, eventually you get tired of it and buy a new vehicle, and if it's a Ford, they win again.

I'm over 60, have driven Fords all my life, and I have been looking at a new Super Duty, but given their poor support record, I may end up with a Ram instead.

I have a 2013 Edge (49,900 miles), and I am wondering if I am having a similar issue. I started having problems last week with a dead battery, so I took it to a repair shop (not a Ford dealer) and they put it on some kind of tester that indicated my battery was toast. I had the battery replaced, and no problems starting since. However, my wife started noticing a high frequency ringing noise coming from the vehicle with it not running, key out of the ignition. I cannot hear it. Yesterday, I noticed a random clicking noise again with the engine not running, key out of the ignition. I think the clicking is the starter solenoid. Between the noise my wife is hearing, and the clicking I am hearing, this seems to me like there is something staying active? I am not seeing any warning messages about the shifter not being in park, but I am not sure what else would be causing this issue?