Horn sound/warning

Hello guys,

I have an Edge Ltd 2013 and in some occasions when I park the car and the passenger opens the door, the horn shots 02 times quickly.

It seems some kind of warning but I don't know what for.

The key is always with me, inside the car.

Anybody has any idea of what this sound/warning from the horn means? (would appreciate also if anybody has a list of warnings that can be produced by the car).

BR/Kleber

It usually means the engine is running and the door was shut and no key was detected inside the vehicle. Does it happen when the passenger door is opened or closed?

Hi,

It happens when the passenger's door is opened.

Yes, I'm aware of the warning due to the key, but it is really not the case. in such cases, the horn works also when the key is normaly inside the car.

Maybe it is my impression, but this one seems to be quicker than the one due to the key.

BR/Kleber

As others have stated it's a thing. A federal (or was) safety mandate from 2013 on for vehicles with Push Button Start function. I've read where in later years (other makes?) that it can be disabled in one of the many "control modules" (think computers) that control the cars functions. Not sure on the 2013 being that this was a first year safety "upgrade"

My understanding was too many brain dead drivers were leaving them running in an attached to the house garage and either dying or becoming an asparagus. Something about vehicles with Push Button Start and not having a physical key to force the human to go .. wait .. I don't have my keys with me. I must have left the car running! I call it thinning of the gene pool.

I didn't have this on my 2011 and do on my 2013. I'm going in soon for a MFT update (dealer only) and I'm going to push and prod for this to get "disabled". I'll let everyone know if they can/will do yeet.

As others have stated it's a thing. A federal (or was) safety mandate from 2013 on for vehicles with Push Button Start function. I've read where in later years (other makes?) that it can be disabled in one of the many "control modules" (think computers) that control the cars functions. Not sure on the 2013 being that this was a first year safety "upgrade"

My understanding was too many brain dead drivers were leaving them running in an attached to the house garage and either dying or becoming an asparagus. Something about vehicles with Push Button Start and not having a physical key to force the human to go .. wait .. I don't have my keys with me. I must have left the car running! I call it thinning of the gene pool.

I didn't have this on my 2011 and do on my 2013. I'm going in soon for a MFT update (dealer only) and I'm going to push and prod for this to get "disabled". I'll let everyone know if they can/will do yeet.

That is accurate, however it doesn't match the symptoms described which is that the horn sounds when the passenger door is opened not when the driver's door is closed.

I don't believe it is a mandate, didn't read it anywhere, most probably a lawyer thing to reduce possibilities of lawsuits. A dealer cannot disable it as it is not a Ford procedure. Though you can use forscan which is a free software with a compatible OBD2 adapter ($20-$50) to easily disable it. Read up on it, and if even a little into DIY you'll find it a very simple process.

Here are some threads on it:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-forscan-update-allows-module-programming.442848/

http://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2331

The code to change it on 2011-2014 Edge models is exactly the same for 2011-2015 Explorers:

BdyCM 726-16-01 0111 56 (Double Honk Enabled, Default)
BdyCM 726-16-01 0101 46 (Double Honk Disabled)
# 3rd digit number is 1: double honk enabled
# 3rd digit number is 0: double honk disabled
  • Like 2

Yes, a loud chirp would be much nicer but obviously more expensive. And since this was supposed to be a federal requirement at some point I'm not sure whether it required the horn to be used or not.

All you need to do is not close the door all the way.

Interesting - I did not know that! I will try that tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe it is a mandate, didn't read it anywhere, most probably a lawyer thing to reduce possibilities of lawsuits. A dealer cannot disable it as it is not a Ford procedure. Though you can use forscan which is a free software with a compatible OBD2 adapter ($20-$50) to easily disable it. Read up on it, and if even a little into DIY you'll find it a very simple process.

Here are some threads on it:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-forscan-update-allows-module-programming.442848/

http://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2331

The code to change it on 2011-2014 Edge models is exactly the same for 2011-2015 Explorers:

BdyCM 726-16-01 0111 56 (Double Honk Enabled, Default)
BdyCM 726-16-01 0101 46 (Double Honk Disabled)
# 3rd digit number is 1: double honk enabled
# 3rd digit number is 0: double honk disabled

Quite good! and thank you for your kind information

• Like 1

as a follow up to Tacyon's post, I believe the reason for this "safety feature" originated on hybrid vehicles but extends to all push button start cars. Owners of these cars (think Prius) were pulling into their garages running as electrics and without any sound were forgetting to turn the car off and just hopping out. Later that night when they were fast asleep, the battery in the car became drained enough for the car to start to recharge it in the closed garage causing the carbon monoxide issue. There have been several deaths and lawsuits against 10 major car makers :banghead:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/hidden-dangers-of-push-button-start

• Like 1

So .. took my edge in to get serviced today (lub the bamr track, update sync 2.0 to current build) and get this darn'd double honk disabled.

Well ... I got honked off alright. Everything was else got done. But the mechanic when he got to the disable, saw my included info (where and how to disable) he sees it, from my notes sees that wow, he can disable that. But then says ... hmmm that would be changing the "as built config" that comes from Ford in my 2013 Edge Limited and THAT is a big NO NO I was told. No can do says the service manager. AND he tells me that if I do it, anytime I bring it in to get serviced and they have to reflash that module or the entire system my settings go bye bye and I have to do it again.

Can someone 100% confirm that this is a user option that can be disable via the dash or center console controls in later years and models (Fusion)?

So unless one of the Ford reps here can give me a point of contact to get an override on this, it looks like it's up to me.

It peeves me off enough that I'm actually considering do it myself.

@Tacyon

Do it yourself, there is no official way to disable the double honk. It is really simple using Forscan & a compatible adapter.

Newer Fords, as far as I know, still have it with no option to disable, but I think they started switching to a different noise on new Lincolns, a more tolerable noise not from the horn.

Edited by omar302

So .. took my edge in to get serviced today (lub the bamr track, update sync 2.0 to current build) and get this darn'd double honk disabled.

Well ... I got honked off alright. Everything was else got done. But the mechanic when he got to the disable, saw my included info (where and how to disable) he sees it, from my notes sees that wow, he can disable that. But then says ... hmmm that would be changing the "as built config" that comes from Ford in my 2013 Edge Limited and THAT is a big NO NO I was told. No can do says the service manager. AND he tells me that if I do it, anytime I bring it in to get serviced and they have to reflash that module or the entire system my settings go bye bye and I have to do it again.

Can someone 100% confirm that this is a user option that can be disable via the dash or center console controls in later years and models (Fusion)?

So unless one of the Ford reps here can give me a point of contact to get an override on this, it looks like it's up to me.

It peeves me off enough that I'm actually considering do it myself.

there is no dash option for this period. You have to change the as built data to turn it off. Though my Edge has been into Ford and my As Built data is more hacked up than they could imagine. My radio starts up with a Lincoln Logo and they have never reflashed anything.

• Like 1

No, it's still a loud horn honk.

The 2017 MKZ now uses a different tone for exterior lock/unlock confirmations. I thought that they changed all Lincoln models at the same time just like how they changed the key fobs to the newer design.

Edited by omar302

There is a separate chirp when locking/unlocking the vehicle - more of a beep actually. I think this is controlled by the menu setting. This does not use the horn.

If you exit the vehicle with the engine running and the only fob with you and close the door the horn honks twice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, a loud chirp would be much nicer but obviously more expensive. And since this was supposed to be a federal requirement at some point I'm not sure whether it required the horn to be used or not.

All you need to do is not close the door all the way.

Or hold the FOB in your hand right next to the window glass as you close the door!