2007 edge

Randall Carlisle

If you are here researching a 2007-08 Edge, then I might be of some help. here is a one month report - 1500 or so miles. Bought my 07 Blazing Copper Edge with 94500 miles for 9900 OTD I think. FWD SEL Plus. I felt good about it. Still do. BUT...

The good - reasonably good power. comfy for a big man and his wife. Nice features like the power seat. Options are nice. ours does not have the rear DVD or Sunroof thing. I'm fine with that. Looks good still to me. Drives nicely. I'm 50 and skid pad numbers don't matter too much anymore to me. Looks nice from the driver's seat. Tan interior. Cruise works good. Plenty of room for people and objects. With the fold flat front seat, was able to put 8' shelving boards completely inside.

the bad - the things that can make or break for a potential buyer possibly. Not really bad, but just different. No grab rails. Odd and you don't notice how much you miss them til you realize they aren't there. The interior, while it looks nice, is fairly chintzy. Other reviews called this out too. All hard plastic. No big thing, but could have been nicer. I would have expected more had I bought it new. Toyota Venza has a more interesting console area for storage. But the Edge has a good system too. Put your phone in the little bay on top of the dash. Get an air freshener with a light for the bay in front of the shifter. You will need it at some point.

The memory seat switch is positioned conveniently on the door, instead of the seat. Easier to use than down out of sight. However the seat back recline is manual. Dumb. As is the lumbar. Dumb. These should have been power operated. Also when I activate my seat postion, it sends the mirrors to the wrong place. No amount of saving the position has corrected this. And if I set the keyfob to set the seat, the mirrors have to be fixed everytime. This is proabably an age-related flaw, but it is a bit aggravating. Not sure why, but the seat doesn't always slide back for entry. I'm sure this is some combination of operator error though. That is a nice feature.

The Nav system. I like it. I do need an updated map DVD - on ebay for cheap I think. If you are used to Garmin, this one doesn't tell you how fast you are going or any of that stuff. It will however, route you to a destination once you figure out how to use. Read the book. Best to have an address on hand to start with. And it may direct you there and tell you it doesn't have information for a road, when it shows it on the map (?). Radio/CD changer work well. Oh yeah, if you aren't using the NAV, turn the whole system to radio or you have to agree to terms EVERY time you start it. Not really intuitive like a Garmin. But functional.

MPG - Not all that good. (20 ish combined - real world driving in the foothills of NC - a lot of hills to pull and coast). As other reviews point out. Brakes work good but don't engage at very top of pedal like many other vehicles. I suspect this might be why other reviews say the braking could be better. Get used to these before you put yourself in a bad predicament. Do some practice panic stops. Don't follow so closely.. duh

No power lift gate on ours. And I noticed this on other CUVs. That is apparently a very top tier option? Another place where Ford cut a corner that should be standard. The other would be "soft touch" materials in the cabin. See above.

Washer nozzles on hood - will fail. replacements available easily. Easy enough to replace.

The rest of the options are just what they are. Most of them are nice. I would have liked Bluetooth. I am still getting over my last car and tend to compare. The Edge is nice. The plastic will hopefully continue to hold up well. I know the soft stuff can start to come loose.

The trans doesn't have manual shifting capabilities. No big deal if you are just people moving. THat's me. Moving people and objects. I have a motorcycle for thrills. The Edge is a tool for me. A nice tool, but a tool nonetheless. So hopefully that will help if you are looking.

That's about all I can think of for now. I tried to "keep it real" because I know how it is when you are looking to buy a vehicle and want to know real world stuff.

Randy

• Like 4

I have a 2007 SEL FWD also. Great car and has been for a while. Mine is at 112,000 miles and I have only replaced the CV joints and plugs in the last 3 years. Be careful with the plugs, they can take out the coils and computer if you let them get much over 100,000 miles. They are a pain in the ass to change. I agree about the hard plastic. There was no power lift gate in 2007, it was available in 2008. Oh yeah, I just replaced the washer nozzles. Not a real repair because they were cheap on EBay and 5 minutes to install, kind of a maintenance item. Mileage is ok at 20 for what it is. I get about 19.5 on a good week going up and down hills and no highway going to work.

• Like 2

I also remembered something else- the Edge may be WIIIIIDE compared to a previous vehicle. I no longer fit in all the parking spaces I used to. Not and still be able to open the doors....lol. I saw that in a review as well and it is true. No more slipping between cars that are parked on or close to the lines adjacent to your space. You'll fit, but never open the doors and get out.

Randy

• Like 1