2012 Ford Edge - No Radio When Car Runs - Updates

Hello all!

My prior issue was that the speakers had no audio when the car was turned on but audio worked fine when key was in accessory position. (I unplugged battery, fuse, factory resetted, all that jazz). The issue cropped up when I had the serpentine belt replaced, the guy struggled with it and battery died.

So I caved and took the car to the dealership to have it looked at. They said I needed a new radio module ($600 - $700). I bought one on eBay and installed it myself. Same behavior. I am not convinced that the issue is the ACM. Do I have to take it to the dealer to have the unit flashed to my VIN? Is there a wiring diagram I could look at to test some stuff out? Is there a sync unit somewhere that can be reset?

Like I said before, it works fine in accessory. When the car is turned on or key is in on position, no audio BUT the radio is on and functions (I can push buttons and do things but no audio from the speakers). I could just be unlucky and got another faulty unit (I am skeptical of that since it came from a wrecked Edge and was guaranteed to work but it's still a possibility).

Do the speakers get power from the battery when in accessory but from another source when the car is running? How do I test if the speakers are getting power? I bought a voltmeter and can figure out how to use it but I'm not sure where to look or what to do.

I am new but I've learned some things in this effort and I value that. Thanks for everyone's help!

-Alex

• 4 years later...