Ford to offer SmartLink OBD add-on for pre-17 models?

HI folks: Just throwing this out there in its own thread since it could be of interest to owners of 2010-2016 models. Ford plans to offer "an easy retrofit option to add connected features ... with SmartLink, a new piece of hardware that drivers can just plug into their car’s OBD II port.

The SmartLink includes a 4G LTE modem..., letting it act as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to 8 devices in the vehicle. It also enables remote start, lock and unlock functions, and can send alerts to a car owner via a companion web and mobile app to let them check on car healthy, and get alerts related to security and service requirements."

Supposed to be available this summer (though we know how that often doesn't always work out). No word yet on cost. Here's a link to the full story.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/26/fords-new-smartlink-odb-accessory-adds-connected-features-to-older-cars/

Edited by RedEdge16
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Anxiously awaiting this as I was going to get the Remote Access. This just plugs in with no wiring needed. I'm guessing it will cost about $500-600.

ditto. guessing it'll be cheaper upfront cost tho, with a monthly fee from your cell phone company.

• 1 year later...

Hello folks, new member here.

I've just purchased a 2015 Ford Edge Titanium and I followed up on the Ford press release for the FordPass SmartLink with my dealership.

My Edge already has remote start and quite a few other features, but I was thinking of getting the SmartLink anyway so that I could do the Vehicle Health and Security Alerts Although the dealership initially didn't have any information on SmartLink, they phoned about their suppliers and eventually said that a price was due to be released on or about March 26th, so I should check back with them after that time.

I'll let you know what I find out. :)

All the best,

Andrew.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

...a price was due to be released on or about March 26th, so I should check back with them after that time.

I'll let you know what I find out. :)

I checked with the Ford Dealer on the 26th, but they have nothing on actual prices yet. The product pricing announcement has been pushed back to 5th or 6th of April, so I'll check back with them then.

All the best,

Andrew.

• 1 month later...

So... it's May and there are still no prices for SmartLink despite asking the dealership several times in the interim. I think Ford has given up on this idea and is focusing on the Third Generation Edge now.

One of the main things that interested me about SmartLink was the ability to do the Vehicle Health Report, which currently is not enabled on my 2015 Titanium using the MyFordTouch version of Sync. Unfortunately, Ford released a statement saying that they were going to discontinue the ability for owners of the Second Generation Edge to do a Vehicle Health report from September 1st, 2018. This negates the advantage of buying SmartLink for me, so I'm no longer going to chase up the dealership for a price - if they call me to let me know, I'll pass along the message, but I'm not going to make any further approaches to find out.

All the best,

Andrew.

One of the main things that interested me about SmartLink was the ability to do the Vehicle Health Report, which currently is not enabled on my 2015 Titanium using the MyFordTouch version of Sync. Unfortunately, Ford released a statement saying that they were going to discontinue the ability for owners of the Second Generation Edge to do a Vehicle Health report from September 1st, 2018. This negates the advantage of buying SmartLink for me, so I'm no longer going to chase up the dealership for a price -

You don't need Smartlink to run a Vehicle Health Report. All you need to do is register at SyncMyRide.com (where the report is sent to).

You don't need Smartlink to run a Vehicle Health Report. All you need to do is register at SyncMyRide.com (where the report is sent to).

I did register there, it said that this service was not available for my vehicle (2015 Ford Edge Titanium, purchased this spring).

They turned that feature off a couple of weeks ago. Or they’re about to.

An e-mail was circulated saying that all vehicles that were presently using that service would have it discontinued on 1st September 2018. I suspect, because my vehicle would not have been able to have the service for even a full year from the purchase date, they elected not to enable it at all and hoped I'd never realize I was missing out on anything.

All the best,

Andrew.

• 4 weeks later...

why doesnt Ford quit making false promises. Features that never materialize.

First it was wifi upgrades, now this thing.

3 reasons:

1 - they announce things before they're actually ready and proven

2 - internal cost cutting leaves projects unfunded

3 - they run into technical issues that either they can't solve or can't afford to solve because of #2

They desperately need a great PR person to help them with what they announce and when. It's been a complete CF since Mulally left.

• Like 1

I ran a health report two times on my 13 MKX in the last two years just playing around with it. I see no advantage to it. The info center tells me everything the report tells me. Unless I'm missing something, the health report seems a little useless.

Problems happen every day in all walks of life....its how one reacts to them that defines us. Ford will publicize the hell out of something and then become Hellen Keller leaving the unsuspected masses to guess when something will or will not ever materialize.....

And its also built into most of the "new" 2018 line up.... new meaning new model i.e. 2018 escape. New Vehicle new wiring etc.... 2018 edge not so much :(

Its almost as if Ford gauged our interest and said hhmm if we add that into new vehicles they will sell more.....and on the flip side the more current we make older vehicles people will have less reason to buy new vehicles. We all know that Ford wants to move as many new units as possible.

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

And even when/if this device does get released, they might make it a dealer installable thing only (not allowed for users to buy and plug it in themselves).

Plus it might be a $50 per month service and no options to add the device to your current carrier.

• Like 1

I think they received a lot of negative feedback when pricing was announced two months ago. This has caused them to delay releasing it until they re-think the upfront and monthly costs. I'm not paying $12 a month just to use the remote start feature, especially when owners with the system built in have it free for 5 years. And who really would use the wifi hotspot in the thing with many people having unlimited cell phone data plans? They need to offer it for a one-time fee (no more than $200) and $0 a month to use the basic features.

What is the remote start feature btw ? I can start the car remotely using the key fob. And I dont see why I would want to start it from a distance longer than that range.

Only use of this device for me will be to ensure I didnt forget to lock it and lock it if I did forget. Absolutely no other use case.

Edited by luxpow

I think they received a lot of negative feedback when pricing was announced two months ago. This has caused them to delay releasing it until they re-think the upfront and monthly costs. I'm not paying $12 a month just to use the remote start feature, especially when owners with the system built in have it free for 5 years. And who really would use the wifi hotspot in the thing with many people having unlimited cell phone data plans? They need to offer it for a one-time fee (no more than $200) and $0 a month to use the basic features.

Its good because a child or teen may not have an unlimited data plan. With the wifi hot spot you everyone can have access on a road trip. I know a lot of parents that regulate their kids data access.

Just playing the devils advocate.

I find it ironic that my brothers 2015 sport has the wifi hot spot built in. If someone one wanted to have cellular remote access it would cost between $250-$300 for the kit and $50/ year. Comes out to around $4 bucks a month.

$12/ month is $144/ year! Thats ridiculous. Especially when most phones allow you to utilize the phone as a hotspot.

What is the remote start feature btw ? I can start the car remotely using the key fob. And I dont see why I would want to start it from a distance longer than that range.

Only use of this device for me will be to ensure I didnt forget to lock it and lock it if I did forget. Absolutely no other use case.

One of the draws is that It allows you to remote start your car via cell phone. It's convenient because you may want to start your car while you are at work and have it cool down or warm up while you are away from your car. Your car will reach temp your desired temp by the time you get to the car.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Smartlink was supposed to be available nation wide in mid 2018.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/03/21/upgrade-connected-features-on-your-older-model-ford-with-new-for.html

I found it at Fairway Ford for $345

https://www.fairwayfordparts.net/oem-parts/ford-ford-pass-smartlink-start-from-your-vehicle-from-your-phone-vhl3z14f642a?gclid=CjwKCAjw7IbaBRBqEiwA6AyZgqCV6HYUJwrgriN-xPqwjMni4AYumcoFutXdlZPQq9Wc9aRWmxxAjBoCrJYQAvD_BwE

2 years of service are provided with the unit.

Conversely I found it for $306.36 at Tasca Parts

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-module-smart-data-link-vhl3z14f642a

Tasca doesn't provide any info if service is included or not.

Here is a link to a ford truck forum in which a user posted screen shots and described his process etc.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1533202-ford-smartlink-3.html

Ford's RMU has been discontinued and pricing from various vendors are reflecting that. Not to mention that in addition to the RMU you also need a VSS module. But when its all said and done the cost is $50 a year for the service albeit with a lot less functionality......

Not that all the bells and whistles aren't nice they just don't add to the functionality. I wonder how much smart link will cost after the initial 2 years. It would be great it they offer a la cart pricing etc.

• Like 1