Pre purchase inspection

Kyledelp

I had a pre purchase done on an '07 SEL AWD with 154,000 miles on it today and they returned quite a laundry list of items. The seller has agreed to take care of the tie rods, brakes, tires, and oil leak issue. If these issues are addressed, would it be a good purchase at $6,000? Any input would help. I've attached a picture of the Ford dealers squawk list. Thanks!

post-45100-0-27438800-1485811216_thumb.jpg

post-45100-0-37457800-1485811229_thumb.jpg

I would ask if the coolant pump (water pump) has ever been replaced. It has GREEN coolant in it now, but is it Motorcraft Specialty Green or is it Universal Green etc, hard to know. Motorcraft Specialty Green is actually the upgrade to the Specialty Gold if you decide to have the coolant flushed, as it is nearly time at almost 160K miles.

If they open up the timing cover, should ask how much more to replace the timing chain, tensioners, water pump, and VCT solenoids. Frankly I would have that done as preventive maintenace at this mileage.

No FLUSH of transmission. How dirty IS the fluid? Does it still smell healthy, or does it have a burnt odor/have debris in it, which should make you suspect transmission issues? If no burnt smell or debris, drain & fill will be in order or a fluid exchange. NO FLUSHES.

Have the TSS/OSS sensors ever been replaced? Weak point on the 6F50 transmission, at least for the 2007-10 thus far.

May need to replace PTU and RDU (transfer case & differential) fluids, difficult to tell what the condition might be. Were the PTU/RDU ever replaced?

Find out how much life left on current struts/shocks.

That said, I see the KBB value is about 5500 trade in value for excellent condition SEL AWD, so add a 1,000 for private party pricing. So you are right on the fence with value. Need to ask the owner the questions above.

• Like 3

I would ask if the coolant pump (water pump) has ever been replaced. It has GREEN coolant in it now, but is it Motorcraft Specialty Green or is it Universal Green etc, hard to know. Motorcraft Specialty Green is actually the upgrade to the Specialty Gold if you decide to have the coolant flushed, as it is nearly time at almost 160K miles.

If they open up the timing cover, should ask how much more to replace the timing chain, tensioners, water pump, and VCT solenoids. Frankly I would have that done as preventive maintenace at this mileage.

No FLUSH of transmission. How dirty IS the fluid? Does it still smell healthy, or does it have a burnt odor/have debris in it, which should make you suspect transmission issues? If no burnt smell or debris, drain & fill will be in order or a fluid exchange. NO FLUSHES.

Have the TSS/OSS sensors ever been replaced? Weak point on the 6F50 transmission, at least for the 2007-10 thus far.

May need to replace PTU and RDU (transfer case & differential) fluids, difficult to tell what the condition might be. Were the PTU/RDU ever replaced?

That said, I see the KBB value is about 5500 trade in value for excellent condition SEL AWD, so add a 1,000 for private party pricing. So you are right on the fence with value. Need to ask the owner the questions above.

agreed

• Like 1

I just received the following warranty/service history on the vehicle. Anything insightful here?

post-45100-0-88311400-1485884296_thumb.png

Edited by Kyledelp

What, no wheel bearing failure??? They were at it for the PTU/seals so many times, and the TSS/OSS sensors too. There is a service history gap of nearly 5.5 years as well. IDK, I would have my doubts on this one 4 sure. You may have to replace the said same parts again, and in addition, face the other possible failure points that this mileage may bring. If you are a DIY kind of guy, it might be liveable, but if you are paying for service, then I'd say NO.

• Like 1

Having owned the 1st gen edge and now the 1.5 I would say the 1.5 is the leader in many areas. The durability improvements are enhanced and the tech was added. The suspension was enhanced and lasting longer. Overall as a choice between the 1st and 1.5 I would go with the 1.5 gen over and over.

• Like 1

Having owned the 1st gen edge and now the 1.5 I would say the 1.5 is the leader in many areas. The durability improvements are enhanced and the tech was added. The suspension was enhanced and lasting longer. Overall as a choice between the 1st and 1.5 I would go with the 1.5 gen over and over.

No 2nd gen love? ;)

• Like 1