Actual Speed in Navigation

I have had my Ford Edge for a month now and love it. I have the 3.6 motor with the Titanium package and Sync 3. I have used the Garmin GPS LV55 and like seeing the actual speed and speed limit next to each other. It is easy to read both at the same time. I was wondering why Ford Navigation doesn't do the same thing. I looked at the options in Navigation and it appears that the actual speed is not to be available on the Navigation screen.

Garmin and Tomtom units really do a better job of this sort of thing. I'm disappointed in my 2016 Edge's integration of nav info into both the dash and radio display. If feels like very little effort was put into it. This technology has been around a long time, and it's not hard to see how competitors and 3rd parties have done it better.

It feels like Ford was just checking off feature boxes, rather than attempting to really produce a great, driver-centric system.

Part of the problem is sync 3 is used in every vehicle and with multiple dash and cluster designs. Explorer is different from Focus is different from Mustang is different from Edge/Fusion, etc. etc.

Not saying they can't do a better job but it's not as simple as they just didn't try.

Software is customizable. Ford didn't optimize the font styles, sizes, graphic sizes, or placement. All of that is the easy part. The hard part is anticpating what drivers will actually find useful, informative, and digestible at a glance. Let alone any real ability to customize the display in meaningful ways. It all seems like an afterthought on a pretty decent vehicle.

Not sure what you mean about not optimizing fonts/sizes/graphics or placement. Seems perfectly fine to me.

There is always room for improvement. I'd like to see more customization capabilities especially in the gauge cluster. I think at some point Lincoln should have a distinct and more upscale interface with more options - but I understand why they don't have it right now.

After the MFT disaster I think Ford is trying to focus more on functionality and stability first before they make enhancements and that includes AA/CP and Applink.

Also don't underestimate the complexity in trying to make it work across so many different models on so many different platforms:

Fiesta/Ecosport, Focus/Escape/Cmax, Transit Connect, Transit, F series, Fusion/Edge, Explorer/Taurus/Flex, Expedition, Mustang, Ranger/Bronco (coming soon)

Not to mention the Lincoln variants. They've done a lot of standardizing across platforms to date but have a long way to go in that regard.

Also - don't underestimate the amount of testing that has to be done. It might be a 5 minute software change but if you have to test it with every release on 15 different variations it starts to add up quickly. And with complexity comes more opportunities for bugs. There is a tradeoff.

For those of you who answered the obvious, thanks, I didn't know about the large speedometer dial in the middle class of the dash. I guess I'll have to read my owners manual. For the person who said it would be redundant, have you noticed that there is a speedometer and a digital display as someone else noted. Also there is a lot of redundant information such as temperature, radio, etc.

Now it was a legitimate question since when I use the Garmin, there can be a 3 mph difference between it and the speedometer. Like I said, I like to see the two together especially when there is a speed limit change. I can see at a glance in one place what I should do.

To those with honest answers, thanks for your responses

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Of course I know this doesn't help you in your current situation, but I test drove an MKX before I bought my Edge, and the speedo screen has the speed limit sign front and center.

I usually just keep my sync screen on the home screen which will include the speed limit on the map, and then my digital speed readout on the left hand screen. I'm lost without that digital speed readout now!