2016 Edge whining noise

My 2016 Edge that just turned 6k miles has all of a sudden developed a noise that sounds like a wheel bearing. The dealer mechanic drove with me in the vehicle and hears it too. It wasn't there a month ago. He initially thought it could be in the transmission but when he looked it over he couldn't find anything. He claims that another on the lot with the same mileage makes the same noise, therefore the noise is "normal" For me, it's unbearable. Any suggestions on what it might be and how I can get the mechanic's attention on it?

Need some more details on your Edge. What trim level, engine & transmission do you have? Can you post a video/audio clip of the sound? Wheel bearings typically are isolated by listening while turning to the left/right. Whichever direction the sound goes away, the wheel bearing on that side is defective.

http://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-articles/wheel-bearing-service-tips/

We have a 2016 Edge Sport, currently at 4,500 miles. It has gear whine noise at 40 mph, and you can make it louder by slightly accelerating and deaccelersting. It sounds to me like the transfer case, or whatever they call the unit that sends power to the four wheels. We'll ask about it when we go in for our complimentary oil change this month and I will report back.

Doug

My 2016 Edge that just turned 6k miles has all of a sudden developed a noise that sounds like a wheel bearing. The dealer mechanic drove with me in the vehicle and hears it too. It wasn't there a month ago. He initially thought it could be in the transmission but when he looked it over he couldn't find anything. He claims that another on the lot with the same mileage makes the same noise, therefore the noise is "normal" For me, it's unbearable. Any suggestions on what it might be and how I can get the mechanic's attention on it?

AWD or FWD?

Need some more details on your Edge. What trim level, engine & transmission do you have? Can you post a video/audio clip of the sound? Wheel bearings typically are isolated by listening while turning to the left/right. Whichever direction the sound goes away, the wheel bearing on that side is defective.

http://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-articles/wheel-bearing-service-tips/

SEL, 2.0 liter ecoboost with the standard issue automatic transmission. I'm starting to think it may be the tires. It's not really distinct enough to be recorded.

We have a 2016 Edge Sport, currently at 4,500 miles. It has gear whine noise at 40 mph, and you can make it louder by slightly accelerating and deaccelersting. It sounds to me like the transfer case, or whatever they call the unit that sends power to the four wheels. We'll ask about it when we go in for our complimentary oil change this month and I will report back.

Doug

Please let us know what you find out!

• 2 weeks later...

My 2016 Edge that just turned 6k miles has all of a sudden developed a noise that sounds like a wheel bearing. The dealer mechanic drove with me in the vehicle and hears it too. It wasn't there a month ago. He initially thought it could be in the transmission but when he looked it over he couldn't find anything. He claims that another on the lot with the same mileage makes the same noise, therefore the noise is "normal" For me, it's unbearable. Any suggestions on what it might be and how I can get the mechanic's attention on it?[/size]

My 2016 edge is having a similar noise and starts out 40-45mph. Changed out tires and still same problem. Keep us updated as to what you find out. Dealership doesn't have a clue, think I'm hearing things. Would love to know what you find out. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Doug

We finally got our Edge in to the local Ford dealer, and the result was "no abnormal noise" from their road test.

We'll keep our ears on it.

Doug