Bug Deflector / Hood Protection 2015+ Edge

Ricktye

2016 Edge. Has anyone yet installed a bug deflector or other protection on the front of their hood on the 2015 or newer Edge? If so, which one did you use and what are your opinions of it? Need to do something as the paint is getting chipped from sand/gravel they are putting on the roads in the winter. Almost seem like poor paint as it seems to be chipping away easier than other vehicles we have/had.

TIA

Rick

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I had ordered a

Auto Ventshade 322115 Large Aeroskin Acrylic Hood Shield

from Amazon and promptly returned it for a refund.

Didn't like the idea of sticking it to the paint.

I'm looking for a bolt on, removable shield. I had one for my '93 explorer that served me well. Could take it off for washing & waxing.

I have noticed on my 2016 Edge that I have nicks & dents right on the leading edge of the hood from rocks & debris on the interstates.

My goal is to minimize the damage in the future but not with something that can't be easily removed and re-attached.

The one I had for my explorer curved under the front line of the hood and attached on the inside of bottom edge with screws.

Any ideas?

That's what I am looking for. I ordered an AVS bugshield but apparently they make different models for the same vehicle. The one I ordered was a thin stick on, I wanted the screw on so I can remove it.

Can you provide the model number of the one that screws on?

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Ventshade-20529-Carflector-Shield/dp/B01FMO6GSI#Ask

That link clearly says it's a stick-on type mount. I'm looking for a screw on type also.

"The hood shield is mounted using 3M automotive-grade adhesive. In order to protect the hood paint from rubbing against the shield if hit by debris, the set includes several clear rubber bumpers easily applied to the hood during the installation."

Edited by TurboToad

That link clearly says it's a stick-on type mount. I'm looking for a screw on type also.

"The hood shield is mounted using 3M automotive-grade adhesive. In order to protect the hood paint from rubbing against the shield if hit by debris, the set includes several clear rubber bumpers easily applied to the hood during the installation."

Go to the bottom of the page to questions & answers.It is held on by self tapping screws.

Edited by Chipster

Yes, that is a different one than what I had ordered. The descriptions are vague both on amazon and the AVS website.

This is the one I had ordered and returned that is a stick on

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W1MA5PA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I have the Aeroskin protector on my car too, but I am probably going to remove it soon and just apply some vinyl to the leading edge of the hood. I'll basically follow the same profile of the hood protector. My main reason for doing this is the Aeroskin protector is already lifting off at one end and it will start to leave marks on the paint if it already hasn't. I made sure to strip and clean the area extremely well before putting it on too. I think it gets compromised early by the relentless SoCal sun. The vinyl is obviously a lot thinner than the plastic Aeroskin, but still plenty thick enough to protect against normal road debris. Plus it is a fraction of the cost and will probably adhere longer too. Clear PPF (paint protection film) is even thicker/stronger FYI, and its clear in case you don't want it to be seen. IMO vinyl is the best option, unless you are worried about larger than normal road debris. I have seen the bolt-on type acrylic hood protector on a late model Explorer, but haven't seen one for an Edge.

BTW, the OEM one you can buy from Ford is actually made by Lund/AVS and just costs more $$. Go with Amazon and save a few bucks, or go with vinyl and save even more.

Edited by roots57