Squealing Brakes

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I'd like to mention right off the bat that I'm aware there's an MKX specific forum and this technically belongs there, but for some reason that forum seems basically dead, and I'd be willing to bet that nobody would see the thread in the first place. So, that being said, given the MKX and Edge might as well be clones, I've opted to post here.

My mother, last Mother's day, purchased a 2010 Lincoln MKX, equipped with about every feature available. Nice ride.

However, there's a very irritating issue that she wants gone, and she wants me to fix.

The front brakes squeal like there's no tomorrow when light pressure is applied, only in reverse. When heavier pressure is applied, they make almost a grinding sound, again only in reverse. When moving forward, they're silent.

At the time I did this we believed it was only one side, but turns out it's both. I pulled apart the passenger side and gave it a good inspection. The pads have plenty of material left, and the rotors are nice and shiny. No ridges, no gouges, nothing. I greased the guide pins with caliper guide pin grease, scuffed the pads on some 120 grit, brakekleen'ed the rotors and installed new retaining clips with new guide pin boots.

The squeak remains, completely unchanged.

I personally believe the next step is a new set of good quality pads. I've picked out a set of premium / OE quality monroe pads from rockauto, but I have not ordered nor installed new pads.

Before I go buying new parts to throw at it, I'd like to know of anything I could check, or anything else that could be done.

A recommended set of pads and rotors would be very nice to know. A vehicle this new shouldn't be squeaking like a worn out, rusted, jalopy from 1973.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Odd that it is only in reverse. I was thinking maybe a caliper issue but why only in reverse? Have you tried jacking the front of the vehicle up and spinning one of the wheels to see if you can replicate the sound while you are looking at it?

I just put 4 x pads and rotors on my '11 with no issues. AutoAnything had a sale on PowerStop 4 x pads and rotors direct OEM replacement. You might check them out. I would suggest doing the rotors also since the additional cost is marginal and you're going to have everything apart anyway.

But, have you determined that it IS the brakes making this noise and perhaps not a drivetrain issue? That might warrant investigation also.

I'd be interested to hear how this turns out.

• Like 1

I will guarantee if you install the Autozone Duralast High carbon content rotors with the CMAX high ceramic content pads you will no longer hear brake squeal again and brake dust will disappear. Not to mention you will not have to replace those rotors or pads again for a very very long time.

Metallic pads are just that metallic and they will make noise since it is metal on metal essentially and they will make noise.

• Like 1

No video? You're slipping.........

Wife just called complaining about rear brakes making loud noises when she uses the brakes. I knew the rear pads were near the end but was hoping they would hold out until the warmer months this spring. 91K miles on the OEM pads and rotors. Time to install new rear rotors and pads. Then the video. LOL great timing huh?

• Like 1

+1 on the clips. Easily installed backwards or upsidedown on the pads. Some manufacturers design the clips to screech in while in reverse alerting you of brake pad thickness and an eminent brake service in your future; installed incorrectly screeching may ensue. I don't recall if the edge is equipped this way.

I'd be surprised if this were the original set of pads on the car. The grinding does not make any sense especially after your teardown and inspection of the surfaces. Personally, I buy the ceramic pads. Low noise, low dust.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the replies. I have replaced the pad retainer clips and the dust boots for the guide pins, as well as lubricating the guide pins.

I'll check if the noise is coming from the front or rear, but I'm fairly confident that it's from the front.

Unfortunately most of the time I work by myself, so it's not possible for me to replicate the noise with the vehicle off the ground. Probably wouldn't be hard to get a friend of mine as an extra set of hands. Perhaps I could offer some lunch ;)

I'll definitely check out those pads from autoeverything. Right now I'm eyeing up some Monroe pads from rockauto. Little more expensive than what I usually go for pads, but for a vehicle of this caliber (compared to prior vehicles) I feel it's worth the extra money.

Thank you for all the replies. I have replaced the pad retainer clips and the dust boots for the guide pins, as well as lubricating the guide pins.

I'll check if the noise is coming from the front or rear, but I'm fairly confident that it's from the front.

Unfortunately most of the time I work by myself, so it's not possible for me to replicate the noise with the vehicle off the ground. Probably wouldn't be hard to get a friend of mine as an extra set of hands. Perhaps I could offer some lunch ;)

I'll definitely check out those pads from autoeverything. Right now I'm eyeing up some Monroe pads from rockauto. Little more expensive than what I usually go for pads, but for a vehicle of this caliber (compared to prior vehicles) I feel it's worth the extra money.

Front rotors: http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-rotor/duralast-gold-brake-rotor/ford/edge-limited-2wd/2011/6-cylinders-c-3-5l-sfi-dohc/539223_195255_2708

Front Pads: http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-pads/duralast-gold-brake-pads/ford/edge-limited-2wd/2011/6-cylinders-c-3-5l-sfi-dohc/939349_232493_3773

Plus if you order on line you can save 20 percent on orders over 100.00

Where you at in Indiana?. I will be in Indy all week the last week of February.

This is the install of the above listed parts:

• Like 1