Change Master Code - Smart Junction Box?

Hello,

My wife's car (2011 Edge Limited) was broken into at her work and the thieves stole her owner's manual - which has the card with the "Master Code" for the keyless entry system (think: the keypad on the door, not the "REMOTE Keyless Entry" system...)

So, basically, if the criminals know what they have, they could come and go in her car whenever they want without setting off the slightest alarm. Maybe even pop up in the car one day (praying not).

Anyway, I've been told that the solution seems to be to replace the "Smart Junction Box" which looks like, basically, the fuse box by the driver's left foot, which has some electronics in it. The price of the part doesn't look *too* outrageous.

Also, I'm told that the vehicle will need to be hooked up the the dealer (or licensed technician's) computer to program the car to work with the box.

Basically, my questions are:

1. Can anyone confirm that this is the only part that will need to be replaced in order to eliminate the usage of the existing Master Code?
  2. Can anyone confirm that it does, in fact, need to be programmed by the shop (or the vehicle programmed to recognize it, not sure which way it works, or both)?
  3. On a slight tangent, is it universally true that the current code is printed on the existing SJB (I haven't looked yet, but part of verifying that it is changed is knowing what it was originally, which I don't because somebody stole it)?

Thanks, in advance, to whomever is willing to help me answer these questions!

--mobrien118

Edited by mobrien118

If you do not use the keypad, just disconnect it.

We do use it... A lot...

Isn't this function aND code contained in the Remote Anti-theft Personality (RAP) Module?

Apparently, it is a function of the SJB. The evidence seems to be that the SJB comes with a new card, and the master code is on a sticker on it (I confirmed yesterday).

5 days ago I didn't know what a "Smart Junction Box" was, and now I believe I am an expert at them!

--mobrien118

• 2 months later...

OK, so $500+ later, here is where we are.

We took it to the shop and had them replace the SJB, per their parts department's advice that "whenever we change these, they get a new master code".

1. They repalced it
  2. The sticker on the box has a new code
  3. We got the new card with it, same *new* code as on the box
  4. Go to the keypad and try the old code - STILL WORKS
  5. On the keypad, try our old PERSONAL CODE - *STILL WORKS*

Note, this all happened as I was picking up the car. Went back in to talk to the service desk about it - they don't know, they "did what I asked".

While it was there, for a couple days they said they were having trouble programming the new box, then all of a sudden, they said it worked. He said "We did everything the same, it just worked this time! So, I don't know what went wrong the first time."

Can anyone on here confirm - if the SJB is replaced, the existing *User Programmed Code" should cease to function - also, the "Factory Default Code" should be changed to the new code on the card and box.

I asked them to see the old part and they said they threw it away - they didn't know they were going to need it (a fully working part, mind you).

What is going on here? Anyone know?

Thanks,

--mobrien118

They left the old one in it. They screwed you.

Edit - guess before I get that strong...does the new code on the card work? If it does, erase all the "user" codes and then see which code still works. New code...good to go. Old code...then the above it true.

Edited by jmr061

They left the old one in it. They screwed you.

Edit - guess before I get that strong...does the new code on the card work? If it does, erase all the "user" codes and then see which code still works. New code...good to go. Old code...then the above it true.

The "new" code does not work...

I have to admit, I was assuming that was the case - I even confronted the service writer, but he just played dumb (thus the "we just did what you asked"). I just didn't want to lead the question in case anyone on this forum had some kind of information that I didn't have.

How can I *prove* this?

How could someone make it *look* like they replaced the part when they actually didn't? I I haven't taken this part of this car apart before, so I don't know what a SJB is composed of. Is it possible to take it apart and swap parts of the "part"?

Thanks,

--mobrien118

Do you have regular keys and if you do did they need all of your keys for programming?

If you have IA then if they did replace the BCM then forgot a step that transfers the BCM keycode to the RFA module which could explain why the old code works.

Edited by jmr061

We have the IA system/keys. They asked us to bring both of them in (/said they needed them both).

Don't know what BCM or RFA are - but, am I correct in understanding that the codes are *stored* in the SJB? If they are, then they definitely did not replace it.

If they are only programmed by the SJB, but not actually stored on it (which is what it sounds like you are saying), then maybe the just forgot a step (which you definitely said - I understood that much :-)...?

Can this be? Is it possible for them to "finish the job" at this point? I don't know what they "threw away" from the old system - not sure that matters at this point.

What you call the SJB is actually the BCM...body control module. Since you have IA they skipped a step...the Master Code for IA vehicles gets transferred from the BCM to the RFA (Remote Function Actuator ). They failed to follow all the instructions for proper replacement of the BCM. It is all covered in the service manual.

• Like 1

Isn't the code burned into permanent memory? And, aren't the codes in the BCM, not the SJB?

On the 2011 Edge, the SJB "replaces" (does the functions of) the BCM. jmr061 pointed this out (in different words) and I had actually just confirmed this right before I saw his post (I guess that means his post confirms what I looked up).

I believe you're correct about the master code being permanent - everything I have (and, have I done some research!) found suggests that it can not be altered (which is intuitive, since it comes on a sticker on the box itself).

The part that also makes sense that jmr061 mentioned is that they missed a step that "pushes" (for lack of a better term) the code to the RFA on cars that are equipped with IA. It seems that the function of controlling the door entry keypad is duplicated in order to allow it to interact with other entry systems, if you have that/those options.

Looking forward to calling the shop this morning and trying to sort this out with them (sort of :-/).

Edited by mobrien118

The part that also makes sense that jmr061 mentioned is that they missed a step that "pushes" (for lack of a better term) the code to the RFA on cars that are equipped with IA. It seems that the function of controlling the door entry keypad is duplicated in order to allow it to interact with other entry systems, if you have that/those options.

A question then comes up, can we "push" a different code without changing the SJB/BCM, effectively changing the factory code?

Could be the IC that stores the code, since it is part of the PATS system?

Taken from the 2013 FSM:

Module Controlled Functions

Body Control Module (BCM)

The Body Control Module (BCM) is located behind the driver side cowl panel and controls the following:

• Interior lighting
  • Exterior lighting
  • Dimmable backlighting
  • Battery saver function
  • Delayed accessory relay function
  • Horn
  • Brake shift interlock
  • Power door locks (vehicles without Intelligent Access (IA))
  • Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system
  • Perimeter alarm
  • Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) (vehicles without IA )
  • Remote engine start
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Refer to the appropriate section in this manual for system specific information and diagnostics.

Battery Saver

NOTE: Time-out is 1 minute if the vehicle has less than 80 km (50 miles).

To save battery voltage, the BCM provides automatic shut-off of some system controlled components after a time-out period. REFER to Section 417-01 (Exterior Lighting) or Section 417-02 (Interior Lighting) for system specific information.

Post Crash Alert Feature

The post crash alert is a function controlled by the BCM . If the Restraints Control Module (RCM) determines an impact of enough severity (the air bags may or may not be deployed), the post crash alert function activates. The post crash alert function activates the hazard lamp function and cycles the horn on 3 times, then off for 4 seconds, and repeats this cycle until the battery is discharged or the function is turned off. The post crash alert function can be turned off by:

• pressing the hazard flasher lamp switch (which may need to be pressed twice).
  • pressing the RKE transmitter UNLOCK button.
  • pressing the RKE transmitter PANIC button.

Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module

The Remote Function Actuator (RFA) module (located behind the glove compartment) is equipped on vehicles with Intelligent Access (IA) and controls the following:

• Power door locks (vehicles with IA )
  • Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system
  • Key validation (part of the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1