For those of you with Carplay - iHeart Radio question

So, had this issue on my Pioneer AVH 4000 NEX head unit, have it also on my Hyundai SFS with Carplay, so I'm pretty sure it's a Carplay/iHeart radio issue, but need more data points. I had a previous issue that iHeart Radio eventually duped and mostly fixed. iPhone 6s with latest public release of iOS (no beta).

1) Make sure your iHeart Radio app is not running on the iPhone (need to double tape the home key to pull up the list of apps "running" and nuke iHeart Radio if running)

2) Plug in iPhone to car. Carplay screen should show up on iPhone and a few seconds later, the iPhone should "lock" (go blank on you).

3) Now, use touch screen or Carplay (speak to siri) to: Play iHeart Radio

What happens on my iPhone (both with Pioneer head unit and new vehicle), probably 90% of the time:

Carplay spins around and then says it can't connect to iHeart Radio. Try again "button" on touchscreen (head unit) is there. Try again like 3 times, still no go.

What does seem to work:

1) While it's spinning "connecting" to iHeart radio, unlock the iPhone screen, then all of a sudden you'll see iHeart radio launch on iPhone.

or

2) Back out to the main Carplay menu on head unit and go *back* into iHeart Radio, then it'll finally load.

All other apps work fine (don't have this issue).

Also had an issue (iHeart Radio duped it) where if you were using iHeart Radio and then went out to radio/XM/whatever on head unit, that 3 minutes later it would switch back to iHeart Radio (very annoying). Took 'em about 3 months and like 7 updates to finally mostly resolve it (happens rarely now).