Has anyone had experience with installing a light bar behind the grille of a 2011-14 Edge? Specifically towards the bottom section that is highlighted in the attached picture- would there be any airflow issues or heat issues caused by an smaller LED light bar and is there a good spot to mount the bar so that it shines through the grille insert in this section? Thanks!

post-45117-0-41012300-1486626768_thumb.jpg

If you have an Ecoboost engine then that area has shutters that close as vehicle speed increases. That could cause problems where a light bar might be in the way of the shutter operation or the shutters could damage the light bar or its wiring.

Why do you want a light bar there? For visibility to other drivers (like DRLs) or to increase forward light output?

I would like increased light output on remote roads. I recently installed some LED headlight bulbs and found out that they were not the best choice as far as spreading the light. There's not a big difference between the brights on or off, but it is a nicer/white light overall. I don't really like when people have lights that are so bright that they blind the other drivers even without brights on. I'm not sure if these types that I'm talking about are HID. Either way, I thought a light bar would suit my needs for temporary flood and spot lighting. I have a 2011 SEL, no ecoboost on this model that I know. Thanks!

I recently installed some LED headlight bulbs and found out that they were not the best choice as far as spreading the light. There's not a big difference between the brights on or off, but it is a nicer/white light overall. I don't really like when people have lights that are so bright that they blind the other drivers even without brights on. I'm not sure if these types that I'm talking about are HID.

Just to inform you, the light that you hate, you are contributing to. It happens when people run the wrong bulb in the wrong projector and prevent the cutoff shield from doing its job of preventing glare into oncoming traffics eyes. A lightbar isn't going to do much other than attract your eyes to the front of the vehicle while driving.

The LEDs I installed aren't very bright.. they were about $40 for the set. You get what you pay for. I realize this. I was just looking for some sort of noticeable upgrade from the Phillps bulbs that were in the car when I bought it and that was accomplished. I definitely like them, just looking for an alternative lighting source as needed.

So as far as light bar installs, there are a ton of videos on youtube or product pictures on Amazon showing the difference in light output once installed. The ones I am looking at are spot/flood combos. Some of them are curved to spread the light more. They're not that pricey and people seem to have good results. I'm not looking at something that is going to be a DRL, I'm looking to install an on/off switch in the cabin for use as needed at night. I'm going to ask one of the local installers and get their professional input as it seems like no one here has direct experience with this.

Thanks for the link! I will definitely take a look at these.

What consists of a modified H9 bulb, any more info? I was searching 9012 bulbs for the 2011 Edge SEL originally. I bought 9012 Sylvania Silverstars which have been good lights for me in the past. However, they weren't that much of an improvement from the phillips bulbs and left a shadow on the left side when projecting. (I have this brand in a Honda Civic and they spread the light so much better.) I put the old Phillps bulbs back in to confirm and there was no shadow. The online retailer suggested the LEDs for exchange and it was just going to be another hassle to return them after the Silverstars didn't work out either. They are an improvement, just not by much.

Nick was referring to a common swap where an H11 bulb is replaced with an H9 requiring just a slight modification to the socket to allow the harness to plug in (a small plastic tab has to be removed). The H9 bulb is essentially identical to the H11 but produces almost twice as much light (with bulb life being something of a trade-off). Similarly, a 9006 bulb can be replaced with a 9012 by just trimming a portion of the top locating tab to make it fit the 9006 socket. You gain about twice the light without giving up bulb life but they are more expensive. However, you already have the 9012 so that conversion isn't an option.

• Like 1

I ran across some idiot who had one of these light bars' on his car last week. Although he had his dims on, the light bar blinded me. It was pointed straight ahead on the car ( not aimed down) and was extremely bright. I flashed twice then just threw my brights on (figured if he was going to blind me, I would return the favor).

Called the sheriff's office and was told that here in Indiana running with these lights is illegal (exceeds max allow light output).

I ran across some idiot who had one of these light bars' on his car last week. Although he had his dims on, the light bar blinded me. It was pointed straight ahead on the car ( not aimed down) and was extremely bright. I flashed twice then just threw my brights on (figured if he was going to blind me, I would return the favor).

Called the sheriff's office and was told that here in Indiana running with these lights is illegal (exceeds max allow light output).

Those kinds of lights are illegal everywhere for on-road use. They're not DOT legal and for good reason.

Nick was referring to a common swap where an H11 bulb is replaced with an H9 requiring just a slight modification to the socket to allow the harness to plug in (a small plastic tab has to be removed). The H9 bulb is essentially identical to the H11 but produces almost twice as much light (with bulb life being something of a trade-off). Similarly, a 9006 bulb can be replaced with a 9012 by just trimming a portion of the top locating tab to make it fit the 9006 socket. You gain about twice the light without giving up bulb life but they are more expensive. However, you already have the 9012 so that conversion isn't an option.

Thanks, great info!

HIDs work really well in the 2011-2014 Edge"s halogen projectors so ya might wanna go that route. I've had a cheap DDM 35/5000 kit in my 2011 for over 4 years and have been really happy with it. A few members have probably had 55 watt kits for quite a few years so maybe they can chime in with their experience. The difference in light output between the factory halogens and a set of HIDs is pretty good.

I would like increased light output on remote roads. I recently installed some LED headlight bulbs and found out that they were not the best choice as far as spreading the light. There's not a big difference between the brights on or off, but it is a nicer/white light overall. I don't really like when people have lights that are so bright that they blind the other drivers even without brights on. I'm not sure if these types that I'm talking about are HID. Either way, I thought a light bar would suit my needs for temporary flood and spot lighting. I have a 2011 SEL, no ecoboost on this model that I know. Thanks!

Get the hid light setup from daytimebrightlites.com Amazing system and you will never complain again about low lighting output again !!

Edited by Ron Faldik

Didn't Prinzll have this set up awhile back? If memory serves me correctly he was using them in backwoods (sorry, deserts) of AZ for night driving...

I'll try and find his write up. I have no issues with with using these for the appropriate purpose. Please don't ever use these on public roads.

Edit: I lied, he didn't install them, but was interested. There was a member, Vital_Dan who installed one:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12151-led-light-bar-install/page-2

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Didn't Prinzll have this set up awhile back? If memory serves me correctly he was using them in backwoods (sorry, deserts) of AZ for night driving...

I'll try and find his write up. I have no issues with with using these for the appropriate purpose. Please don't ever use these on public roads.

Edit: I lied, he didn't install them, but was interested. There was a member, Vital_Dan who installed one:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12151-led-light-bar-install/page-2

Not installed yet, Got headlight issues to contend with before installing the bar.

But to answer the OP's question, The linked thread was for a member who would travel heavily through the Rockies and needed the light output. He put a single row bar in the top slot of the grille which actually worked for light output because there isn't an opening for airflow. As for me, I deal with highway travel through the mountains of AZ and need the light because of deer/elk.

My setup was actually going to be mounted on a license plate bracket which would not interfere with airflow.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2017 at 2:53 AM, Mister-Edge said:

Has anyone had experience with installing a light bar behind the grille of a 2011-14 Edge? Specifically towards the bottom section that is highlighted in the attached picture- would there be any airflow issues or heat issues caused by an smaller LED light bar and is there a good spot to mount the bar so that it shines through the grille insert in this section? Thanks!

I also have a 2011 Edge sel, I recently installed a 32in” curved led light bar. I have had no issues with lost air flow because where I placed it is a closed portion of grill .   Hope this helps 

8E7CAD8B-D467-4643-8295-8B4F780FC964.thumb.jpeg.93cd94b3484d51c4a5b0cb9c764fb0e3.jpeg

Edited by NyEdgeFather
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 2:53 AM, Mister-Edge said:

I also have a 2011 Edge sel, I recently installed a 32in” curved led light bar. I have had no issues with lost air flow because where I placed it is a closed portion of grill .   Hope this helps . An no of coarse I don’t use it on populated roads. I have a multicolor lights , mostley use one Amber when it’s foggy out on back roads 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...