2016 Edge Sport - Removing Front and Rear Emblems HELP!

roots57

2016 Edge Sport - Just got these delivered today. Had them custom painted to match the Ruby Red on Black theme of my car. I hear the front emblem is a real S.O.B. to remove. Is there anyone who can give me instructions on how to get the front emblem off before I spend $70 on a service manual? Apparently this requires disassembling the bumper cover and grille. I want to do this right the first time. Any advice on putting these on will be greatly appreciated.

post-44888-0-46296900-1486682415_thumb.jpg

post-44888-0-89411200-1486682430_thumb.jpg

you don't have to take the grille apart, you just have to remove the front bumper. The emblem is bolted on. Really can't mess it up. though if you don't have any torx bits or screw drivers its gonna be hard.

Rear emblem, just slide some fishing line behind it and it pops off, reapply with double sided tape

Thanks for the direction. I have all the tools I would need, including torx so I should be able to do it. Any tips for removing the bumper? i.e. hidden screws or anything I should know about? How long does it take to remove? Thanks again!

Thanks for the direction. I have all the tools I would need, including torx so I should be able to do it. Any tips for removing the bumper? i.e. hidden screws or anything I should know about? How long does it take to remove? Thanks again!

well I'm a bad example of how long does it take cause I've had it off about 50 times it seems. Also, the bolts inside the fender behind the fender liner are a pain in the butt. remove all the bottom screws, then fender liner, then inside fender liner (easier to get to these in the fender liner if remove the headlights) then remove the screws up top under the hood. this way it doesn't slam onto ground.

14690865_10209175456116895_6978890468250

• Like 2

well I'm a bad example of how long does it take cause I've had it off about 50 times it seems. Also, the bolts inside the fender behind the fender liner are a pain in the butt. remove all the bottom screws, then fender liner, then inside fender liner (easier to get to these in the fender liner if remove the headlights) then remove the screws up top under the hood. this way it doesn't slam onto ground.

14690865_10209175456116895_6978890468250

thanks again for the tips. you weren't kidding about those 3 fender screws on each side, the furthest one in took forever, there's just no room to turn the ratchet. removing the headlights definitely made it easier. worked out great though. check out the pics if you like.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

you don't have to take the grille apart, you just have to remove the front bumper. The emblem is bolted on. Really can't mess it up. though if you don't have any torx bits or screw drivers its gonna be hard.

Rear emblem, just slide some fishing line behind it and it pops off, reapply with double sided tape

Question - is the newer model much different from the older ones? I ask because I found the below writeup which says (for the 2011 model), you just need to loosen the shroud on top of the radiator/front of engine compartment, then reach down and unclip the emblem.. Is that method a no-go on 2015+ model years? I have a 2017 and really want to swap the emblems but I don't have anywhere to pull the bumper off (live in the woods, gravel driveway).

2011 front emblem removal:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14629-front-emblem-removal-with-pics/?hl=%2Brear+%2Bemblem&do=findComment&comment=136644

Question - is the newer model much different from the older ones? I ask because I found the below writeup which says (for the 2011 model), you just need to loosen the shroud on top of the radiator/front of engine compartment, then reach down and unclip the emblem.. Is that method a no-go on 2015+ model years? I have a 2017 and really want to swap the emblems but I don't have anywhere to pull the bumper off (live in the woods, gravel driveway).

2011 front emblem removal:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14629-front-emblem-removal-with-pics/?hl=%2Brear+%2Bemblem&do=findComment&comment=136644

I'll check

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The back one looks correct for a 2016 anyway. I am really surprised that they are different for 2017 Have you taken off your rear one yet? So you can compare them. And the front one looks right too, . What makes you think they will not fit and are different for the 2017 model?

• Like 1

Well, I'm not sure - other than the part numbers being different. They may fit the same but I'm going to pay a shop $100-$150 to swap them out. I will have to pay that whether they are correct or not.. That's a pretty big risk if they are wrong.. I remember hearing that the 2017 has a new grill so maybe the mounting is different for the emblems..

The back one looks correct for a 2016 anyway. I am really surprised that they are different for 2017 Have you taken off your rear one yet? So you can compare them. And the front one looks right too, . What makes you think they will not fit and are different for the 2017 model?

I dug into it a little bit and it looks like they could be (essentially) the same part. One guy on Ebay listed both part numbers as the same (one he referred to as "Item Number" and the other "Manufacturer's Part Number"..

Should I take the risk?

I really think you will be fine. They look like they are exactly the same as mine, and I cant image they changed them from last year. Although the part number may have changed based on model year, the images you posted are the correct parts. I say go for it. Are you gona do the rear one yourself? It would be a shame to pay someone to do that one, since its so easy and requires only a hair dryer and fishing line. Plus that would give you a higher level of comfort that the front will also fit before paying someone to disassemble the front end.

• Like 1

I really think you will be fine. They look like they are exactly the same as mine, and I cant image they changed them from last year. Although the part number may have changed based on model year, the images you posted are the correct parts. I say go for it. Are you gona do the rear one yourself? It would be a shame to pay someone to do that one, since its so easy and requires only a hair dryer and fishing line. Plus that would give you a higher level of comfort that the front will also fit before paying someone to disassemble the front end.

Well, I was able to verify that the 2015-2017 use the same front and rear badges. I found a site (below) that is a reverse-lookup for Ford part numbers. When I put in my part numbers (FT4Z-8213-A, FT4Z-9942528-A) it shows them as being used on a ton of vehicles, including the 2015, 16 and 17 Edges. When I put in the number listed on the back of the emblem, it came up with nothing - said it wasn't a real part number. I think that is the part number for the emblem plate only and what I actually need is the assembly (plate + grill mounting piece - the black plastic part on the back). So, I guess I'll give it a shot to see if it works.

The shop quoted me $96 for both so I'll just let them do it. If I still had a garage, I'd just do both myself but working on it on a gravel/dirt driveway would be a pain. I'd end up scratching the heck out of it..

The good news is that the emblems do look great - they came out awesome. I'll see when I can make an appointment with the shop. Fingers crossed. Thank for all the help!

https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/oem-ford-parts.html

$96 is very reasonable for that. It will take someone with experience about an hour at least. Glad this seems to finally be working out and glad you are happy with the quality of them. His painter does a really good job...and probably should for $150

Post pics once you get them installed (and before the front one takes its first 90 mph pebble to the face)

• 2 weeks later...

General FYI...

I know this may sound cheesy however, a QUALITY overlay is a great bang for the buck alternative if you use QUALITY materials (ProStickers) and have an experienced wrapper, not to be confused with a rapper...lol, do the job.

Check out the "SNM Jim" photo album or Pics available upon request.

BTW, no I do not get any benefits from this, it doesn't pay enough besides I'm gainfully employed Federally...;-)

Edited by snmjim

• 2 months later...

Special K & I just last Wknd R&D the front of our 2016 Sport and found answers to multiple topics on the forums.

In this case there was question as to what's holding the front emblem on and can it be removed while on the car and what's holding it on.

They say a Pic is worth a thousand words so here's the simple answer, no it cannot be done without pulling off the front.

However, we're in the process of authoring several how-to documents with Pics that we'll be posting in the near future... :2thumbs:

As I said before...most of us have jobs and have to fit this time consuming effort in so be patient... :cry:

post-46284-0-82909800-1508264825_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-65074300-1508264830_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-24770300-1508264836_thumb.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

My list of "How-Tos":

Completed:

Tstat

Front Emblem

Strut Tower Cross Brace

DRL Tinting

Soon To Be Authored:

Front/facia removal

AGS removal & Mod (dropped CAI Temps 20 degrees)

IC Grill removal & Mod (dropped my CAI Temps 20 degrees)

IC R&D Pics

Notes:

- I've also posted some updated Pics in my gallery after the spring job.

- There's a Pic of the scale weight with my car empty other than gas

- I'm running the Qtr in the 12s

- I stayed ahead of Special K's (heat soaked) Supercharged tuned A4 from a 20 mph rolling Qtr mile start and crossed the finish at 110mph using e30

• Like 2