Oil catch can on the 2.0L EcoBoost

LorenAZ

• 8 months later...

Just a tad below 2100 miles since it was last drained (11/2/17), i decided to drain my Catch Can. I was quite surprised by how much came out. The weather has been in the single digits the last few 2 weeks (some nights/mornings in the negative) & this was the result. Very glad that I have a can to catch this junk:

post-41964-0-96151300-1515362431_thumb.jpg

post-41964-0-72115000-1515362446_thumb.jpg

post-41964-0-86050800-1515362474_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's a mixture of condensation/water, oil & gas. Been running Mobil 1 & do oil changes approximately every 5,000 miles. Note that i DON'T get nearly this much during the summer months (well, I've officially had the oil catch can a year now). I get very few drops, maybe 5 or so all summer long. Temps drop below freezing, i get what's in the pics above.

• Like 1

I am in CT so we have similar weather temp wise. I see on the emissions parts drawing for my 17 it has something called a collector but it has no drain. Any idea what exactly it collects and does it need servicing? We garage ours so morning start ups are rarely below 40F.

I am seriously considering a catch can as soon as my warranty is up.

It collects exhaust gases, moisture & regurgitated oil from the PCV system. Our '16 is in a heated garage & it's around 45 degrees. In the summer months, i barely get anything. Below freezing, it collects much, much more.

Ā 

If you watch the videos in my 1st post, they should explain why you should put a catch can on asap. Remember, they have to prove that your catch can caused your radio to fail ;)

• Like 1

Good videos. I wish there was a better diagram specific to the edge 2.0 but I understand these are a universal type of part made to span multiple applications. I was asking what the existing "collector" in the emission system does and if it needs servicing. #8 in the emission diagram. Trying to figure out how to post a pic.

Where are these diagrams? I looked under the hood & through the owners manual & a Google search & couldn't find them.

Ā 

My assumption would be that what's connected to the PCV. Where it collects all of the gunk & nastiness & then the pcv releases it back into the intake at certain times.

Ā 

If you're in mobile mode, you'll have to use the full site version to add a pic. There's usually an option on the bottom left of the screen to use the full site & then when you reply you'll see an option to attach a photo.

Edited by lildisco

Thanks you are correct, seperator, been reading so much im confusing myself. Anyway if it is seporating something from the pcv system you would think it is storing it in a filter or something. If not how is it not just dumping everything back together to burn. I think the literature states the emission system needs no maintenance but even the old simple pcv valve would get gunked up and need cleaning or replacement.

After a little more research- not specific to this 2.0 but in older vehicles the seperator is supposed to seperate the oil vapor, and then drain the oil back into the crankcase. Does not seem like a good idea unless it is very efficient, which it is obviously not, otherwise we would not need a seperate catch can. I hate emissions.

• 1 month later...

I'd day for about the last month, the temperature has averaged about 38 degrees & the month prior was around 30,i think. Here's a comparison to my 2008 Mazda CX7 w/80,633 miles on it. The CX7 has about 5,000 miles on its oil change

post-41964-0-70922500-1523236835_thumb.jpg

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Since my Edge is getting close to the end of its extended warranty (only 1700 miles till I hit 100,000 miles) and I doubt that I will hit April of 2019 first I am now interested in getting this done. My question is that they cost seems quite high from TeamRXP and was wondering if there was a more reasonably priced alternative. I will most likely get it done at an independent shop. I really hope to keep this car at least a few years after I graduate from grad school in 2021 which means it will be around 11 to 12 years old when I look to replace my edge. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2017 at 8:14 PM, lildisco said:

I can tell you that while the intake manifold is similar, it is different on the Edge. Particularly, the vacuum line on the drivers side. Took me awhile get the damn thing off. I don't remember what the underneath looks like, but I wonder if that bracket is still there on an automatic. Also, the bracket i received a much smaller bracket in any of the video's i've seen.

Ā 

IMG_20170212_142931678_zpsbnbglbci.jpg

How did you get that line off, I gave up on at after awhile.Ā 

• 4 months later...

Greetings

Ā 

I have found a companyĀ https://www.addw1.com/Ā  that has aĀ  custom catch can bracket for the 2.0L Ecoboost in the 2020 Edge. They have also outlined a suggested mounting locationĀ (please see attached photo)

Ā 

Unfortunately I am having trouble identifying the PCV connections.Ā 

Ā 

Is anyone in position to share the locationsĀ 

Ā 

2020 Ford Edge-m.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...