Starting issues

sealyons

2011 limited has an intermittent starting issue. Most times will start fine with the push button start, other times cranks 3+ times longer than normal before it starts. No rhyme or reason when it happens, warm/ cold, various amounts of gas in vehicle. Any suggestions. Bought it from a used car dealer and it didn't do it when I brought it back.

• 1 month later...

I replaced the purge valve and do not have any codes. Still has the problem and seems to happen more frequently but with no consistency. I've also swapped the horn and fuel pump relays to isolate the relay. My wife seems to think that the brake pedal seems firmer when it does start right away vs. the long crank starts. I've not experienced that but wanted to mention. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brake booster leaking will cause vacuum leak and possibly cause starting and operation issues. You need to verify the brake booster. However if it is the issue you need to get it in quickly as I believe the extended warranty may have expired on the brake booster for your model year.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Still having the issue with starting. No codes, brought to the dealer and they couldn't find an issue either. It always starts, just sometimes takes a long time cranking before it catches. I'm going to change the crank sensor, but can't find anything out there on it. It appears to be buried under the front side of the engine behind the oil filter and exhaust manifold. Any pictures or diagrams would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the diagram! I replaced the sensor and still have the issue, no better or worse than before. Changing the sensor took about two hours. Getting it back in was quite the production. The rough equivalent of threading a needle blindfolded....but did it without pulling the cat or exhaust....

Going to try the MAF next

• 4 weeks later...

Well, did you find and fix the problem, my 07 ford edge took a while to start this morning, had to crank it over for awhile, once started runs good and starts right back up, I read something about a possible fuel injector issue letting the fuel pressure bleed down. this is the first time my edge has done this, it sat for 2 days this time before I started it. I have it shut off now and will check it again later after it sits awhile. the check engine light is Not on.

• 2 years later...

So I’ve made a discovery. I normally don’t let my vehicles get below a quarter tank of fuel for obvious reasons. Well, I did it once last week and noticed that it stopped acting up when the fuel was very low. Filled almost all the way up from empty and it stated acting up again. So, I repeated the process and got the same results. It doesn’t act up when it’s running on low fuel. Still think it could the purge valve failure? 

28 minutes ago, Edge-y said:

So I’ve made a discovery. I normally don’t let my vehicles get below a quarter tank of fuel for obvious reasons. Well, I did it once last week and noticed that it stopped acting up when the fuel was very low. Filled almost all the way up from empty and it stated acting up again. So, I repeated the process and got the same results. It doesn’t act up when it’s running on low fuel. Still think it could the purge valve failure? 

Probably the purge valve and it may have contaminated the canister as well.

• Like 1