22 inch tires recommendations and warning not to buy

Mgavin1985

I'm about 5000 miles away from needing new tire for sport rim 2013. I would like to stick a decent brand name and decent price low road noise would be good too but I might be asking to much please let me know any recommendations for tires purchased and also the oppose beware of this tire type of thing. Thank you in advance!!!

A good starting place is www.tirerack.Com

After entering your cars information, sort by review ratings and then read to reviews. Once you have narrowed the search, also check for ratings on www.Amazon.com

Many times the ratings are glowing based on only a hundred or few hundred miles. But I would recommend placing emphasis on those ratings after they have many thousand miles of use.

I just bought a new set of tires, considered Michelin's which had the highest rating on tirerack.Com (with most ratings based on very limited miles), in checking www.Amazon.com the ratings were not as high after 20k miles or so. Many reporting they had to replace even below that figure. Ended up going with the Bridgestone's instead.

But using the ratings on both sites should give you a good viewpoint for you particular for car, year and drive condition (FWD & AWD).

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sometimes just going 1 size wider can be a saving$. Keep your option open.

I've read about a couple of rules of thumb that one can use for increasing tire sizes:

1. Increase section width by 10mm

Decrease aspect ratio by 10 points

Increase rim diameter by 1 inch

2. Increase section width by 20mm

Decrease aspect ratio by 20 points

Increase rim diameter by 2 inches.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On a heavy SUV, I would not go to a 35 AR tire, certainly NOT a 30 which are meant for performance cars, not SUV's. Plus, the lower the AR (sidewall), the bigger the tire/ fender gap, so unless you would put lowering springs on your car to close the gap it will look odd. Bent rims are in your future on pot holed roads.

great advice so would a 275 35 22 and 285 30 22 would theses sizes work?

• Like 1