Shopping for an Edge

McKenzie0708

Hello all ... This is my first post here. I am in the market for a "new" used car. I have had my 2005 Toyota 4Runner for 8 years, and I love it! I hate getting rid of it, but it has 182,000 miles on it and a leaking head gasket. :(

I have my eye on a 2012 Edge Sport, it has 54,471 miles on it and the listing price is $21,995.

My primary concern with this vehicle is the mileage ... Since I was 18 I have had either a Honda or a Toyota, which are known to take a lot of miles. I have never owned a Ford and I am a little concerned about it's current mileage. I don't want to get myself in a situation where I am going to start having issues fairly soon. I would LOVE to have another vehicle that I can put 182,000 miles on.

What are yalls thoughts and opinions here ... Mileage? Price? Help a sista out.

post-45607-0-01226200-1488814413_thumb.jpg

My personal take: Get FWD, not AWD. Disregard the lifetime fluid blurbs espoused by Ford, get all the fluids changed out once you buy it. All filters also (oil, air, cabin air). If you are not a DIY person or can't get a friend to lend a hand, price in the cost of a Ford ESP/Protect Premiumcare warranty, it is a good thing to have in hand. Electronics seem to be a more contentious point with the 2011-14, and Premiumcare covers electronics.

Would even ask if the throttle body and/or brake booster have been replaced/updated. The two most common issues with the engine so far. The third would be to make sure there is no oil in the intake, which indicates the need for the radiator-side valve cover to be replaced.

Other than that, all the usual checks with any vehicle. No leaks, no smells, no wobbliness, etc etc etc. Look at the Carfax. Ask for OASIS reports on the Edge.

I have an AWD and love it so far. I use "so far" as I have not had any PTU problems as yet. That may change if I have a major PTU problem, but I am keeping an eye on it and will be changing lube regularly (the 'lifetime fluid' claim by Ford is BS.) If you are interested in a minimum of drivetrain issues and do not necessarily have the time and resources to be as judicious as some, then yes I agree, get a FWD. Less complicated means less things to break. Do get an Extended Warranty if you are not a DIY'er. I agree with PerfA on all the other things to look for.

For a comparison, I paid $17.9 for a '11 AWD Limited w/ 301a package 65kmiles. It pretty much pristine in appearance other than normal wear and tear (and maybe even a little better than that.)

Good luck and happy driving!!

• Like 2