TOWING WITH THE EDGE AWD

Deac

I'm interested in buying a new Edge to tow my 2000# trailer and have some questions.

Which engine do you have and which do you recommend?

What is your mpg when not towing and when towing?

Did you get the class II or class III tow package?

How is your performance when going up steep grades in the mountains, say over 8000'?

I would appreciate any information I can find before I decide to buy an Edge.

thanks much, ... -deac

There is more info on towing if you will just use the "search function". But I'll repeat myself. I installed a Curt class III on my 2013 3.5 FWD 6 speed Edge. Towed my 33 Ford Victoria to Biloxi MS. from Greenville TX. Distance of almost 3000 miles round trip, with both city and highway speeds. My mileage was a little over 14 mph while towing. Unloaded the Vicky and took my Daughter to Rowlette TX, round trip about 60 miles when we got back nome Average mileage jumped back up to 25 mpg. On the way down to Biloxi I used "S" and let the tranny do the shifting, and there was a lot of it. On the way back I manually down shifted from "D" to "S" when necessary and it was much smoother. Average mileage remained the same 14 mpg. Had no problem keeping up with traffic and sometimes even exceeded the speed limit. There was no indication heating or any other problems.

Burke

• Like 1

Redbow, thanks very much, very useful info. I Googled the Ford Victoria and it looks like the 33 model is about 2500# (though the newer ones are about 4000). Either way is more than enough for me and getting 14 mpg looks like about as good as I'll do with any vehicle. I love the 25 mpg with no tow.

​So you installed the Curt class II tow package, not a factory install. And it's all worked well, yes? Good news. Do you have the 7-pin connector?

Would you recommend getting the factory tow package if available or just not worry about it and install one if I find the otherwise right car?

thanks much, ... -deac

It would be much easier with the factory package and as akirby said you get extra stuff with the factory package. I have the Class III not the Class II. I built a 7 pin connector with a 4 pin connector 0n the other end. I ran an extra wire for the electric brakes. That way I can use whatever connector the trailer has.. My aluminum car trailer has the 7 pin, my Coca Cola box trailer has the 4 pin. I may have been pushing the recommended weight limit just a little. But you never know until you try. As I said before, I've not had any problems with the Edge. With the trailer braking system the Edge had no problem stopping the load. It shifts normally to this day. I do recommend shifting from "D" to "S" when climbing hills if you want to maintain speed. I did not heat up. It was a Beautiful trip. Next year I will not tow. Vicky was sold and my 34 Panel truck weigh much more than the Vicky. Cruisin-the-Coast had just under 8000 registered participants this year.

Burke

Edited by Redbow
  • Like 1

akirby & Redbow, thanks mucho. I'll definitely plan to get the factory tow package. So Redbow, you were able to order the class III package with the Edge? That's good news. Overkill for my plans, but always good to have extra capacity if someday I need it.

Thanks to you both for the help. -deac

I ordered my Curt hitch on-line. And as I recall it cost about $169. It set in the garage for about a year before I got around to installing it. Was no big deal with the help of my floor jack. I've done several of these hitches on other cars I've had. Over my 84 years I've done a whale of a lot of towing. Biggest problem with the installation was getting the wires for the brake controller through the fire wall. I didn't install the car plug, I just let it hang out the tailgate to plug into the trailer plug. Otherwise it resides in the spare tire well. Best of luck with your project, and Happy Towing.

Burke

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I may be linking at least two topics here and my intention is not to hijack anyone's post. But as a new user to this forum I became aware of several severe issues with (MY) Edge.

The most glaring is the PTO problem. I have a 2013 SEL AWD with FACTORY towing package. I do very little towing and nothing near the towing rating of my vehicle. My PTO started leaking last week. I have 89xxx miles on the vehicle and I'm P.,O'd. However, unlike several of you, I do have an extended warranty, which is bringing the cost for my replacement (due in two days) down to the $350 range. That is the $200 deductable and an additional $150 for a NEW unit from Ford. The warranty contract specifies used or rebuilt as the first choice. Since only one "used" on was available, I chose the new one.

Anyway, getting back to my original reason for posting......How many of you that have already had a PTO failure (or more than one) have a FACTORY towing package on the EDGE?

May not seem important, but to me, Towing package means Heavy duty battery, cooling system, tranny cooler, etc. It's the ETC, that I'm not to sure about!!

Towing package doesn't affect the PTU. The Ford theory is that in some vehicles the cumulative tolerances of individual parts add up to too much internal friction that generates more heat. Extended use of AWD makes it worse. Once the fluid overheats it's toast. Newer PTUs are supposed to be better but I don't know if we have enough data to support that yet.

Ford has probably sold well over half a million AWD Edge, MKX, Explorer, Taurus, MKS, Flex and MKT vehicles over the last few years so while the failures reported here may seem pervasive I suspect it's still a very small percentage overall.

• Like 1

zakatooi2012, what's a PTO?

Back on the farm we called a power takeoff on a tractor a PTO.

I have a new Edge with factory tow package and no problem yet but I'm towing a 2000# trailer a lot now and want to know of potential problems. Thanks. Deac

Concept is the same but ford actually calls it a PTU. It sends power to the rear differential. The rear diff then engages the rear wheels as needed.

DEAC....

OK, OK so it is a ptU, but in all the research I've done before and after mine was replaced, I've seen various sources call it PTO. Some even refer to it as a PTU/PTO.

It actually takes off power from the engine/tranny from the rear wheels, and with this unit (whatever you chose to call it) it sends power to the front wheels.

Mine was replaced last week and I actually talked to the "tech" who did the work. He said that he hasn't seen that many of them leak! HOWEVER, this is a small dealership in a rather rural setting, so that may account for the relatively low number.

He also said that the unit was now filled with 100% synthetic fluid so, in theory, should last longer! The new warranty is for 24months, unlimited mileage because it is a Ford part, replaced by a Ford dealer.

This Ford brochure coverin the AWD might clear things up ad to how it works.

I wouldn't trust that brochure.

1st, they refer to figure 1 as the Ford Escape while it is a Jeep!

2nd, the AWD system used in the Fivehundred/Freestyle was a Haldex unit, not Ford's own system which is used in the Edge.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

You are talking about the Gen 2 (2015 up) which is quite a different animal then Gen 1.

Alot of us have the Gen 1’s and I do too. 2014, AWD with 3.5. I had UHaul install their hitch and wire it. I didn’t have a tow package option so I made sure after I towed 1500 miles with a UHaul 5x8 closed trailer and contents (likely under 2500#) I had the tranny fluid changed. (Just due to the extra strain and heat...).

If you dont have or didnt get a tow option just change the oil and tranny fluid as part of the cost of towing, either more often or just afterwards, like I did. I’ve never towed again but also have changed fluids now...