LTD AWD Trip Report

chefduane

2011 Ltd AWD Trip Report: Dallas, TX - Knoxville, TN - Dallas, Tx.

Last week my wife and I drove to Knoxville for our nephew's wedding. Was gone about 10 days so there was some incidental mileage while there. Both trips outbound and inbound were straight through, no stop overs. Returned earlier today. Took about 14 hours each leg. Particulars as follows for anyone interested:

Total Mileage: 1858.2

Total Gallons Used: 91.31

Total Fuel Cost: $189.07

Average MPG: 20.4

Cost per Mile: 9.83 cents

Average Cost per Gallon: $2.07

I was hoping to see a little better MPG but that's what the math says. I did run a bottle of Techron through on each leg (outbound and inbound) and all fill ups were with a top tier gasoline.

• Like 2

Yes, I recently (within the last 60 days) did all fluids (oil/filter, trans, PTU, coolant, differential) all with synthetic where applicable. Mobil-1 synth and a Mobil-1 Hi-mileage on the filter. I also completed a suck/fill procedure on the brake and PS fluids. I put in an AEM Dry-Flow air filter and also did a MAF clean. I also recently did a full brake job with new rotors and pads. And I put in a K&N Cabin Air Filter. I think that's about it.

Not sure if my fill ups were with winter mix or not (not sure how to tell, frankly). Initial fill was with Costco 87 and the other fills were either Exxon 87 or Shell 87 - all along I30 Dallas to Little Rock then I40 Little Rock to Knoxville (if that makes a difference.) Unfortunately, I did not separate out the hiway miles and the incidental in-town miles. GoogleMaps puts the route I took at 835 miles one way so 1670 round trip. At 1858 total, that yields 188 +/- incidental miles. We were there for 10 days so that would yield about 19 miles a day incidental miles, and that does sound reasonable.

EDIT/SUPPLEMENT: I should also add that the Edge ran fantastic the whole trip. No hiccups or anything. We did not run the A/C but for about the last hour back into Dallas. I checked all fluids before the trip out and before returning, and nothing needed topping, etc.. I was very impressed with the cruise control functionality. This was the first time using it at length and it was very easy to actuate and set, and was pretty much dead-nuts-on as far as holding speed through the Smoky Mountains. Ride was nice and smooth and even the pooch was able to snooze most of the time.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

Cruise control in hilly/mountain roads will reduce your fuel economy. From Edmunds:

One thing that's important to note: if you are in a mountainous area you should turn off cruise. It will try to keep you up to the speed you've set and will use a lot of extra gas downshifting to lower gears to accomplish this.
  • Like 1

As compared to allowing your speed to vary, yes. As opposed to you manually trying to maintain the same speed, no. You're going to lose mileage by trying to maintain a steady speed whether you do it or the cruise control does. I found that turning off overdrive through the mountains caused only a small drop in mileage but made the ride much more comfortable because of far less shifting. It probably saved some fuel as well when compared to the frequent shifting done by the automatic with overdrive enabled.

• Like 1

I really wasn't trying to hyper-mile (!) and having the convenience of CC was the more significant issue. Bear in mind that we were also carrying a full load of 10 days worth of clothes, etc.. for both of us for 10 days, a couple of shotguns, and a dog with a crate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In February 2017 we departed Michigan for Florida for 7 weeks for a total of 4,935 miles. Drove to Virginia via mountains in W. Virginia, then on to Florida. Approximately 60% of miles were highway/interstate and remaining local roads in where we stayed. The Edge with 2.0L turbo indicated 29.3 for the total 4,935 miles. Normally set speed control to 65 on highway, including drive in mountains. Car was packed with two set of golf clubs and clothing for trip - so the back was full. Pleased with power, and milage. Her car was purchased 8/2016 and now has 8,200+ miles.

• Like 1