New Tires Needed

7.3X

Ok so I have searched and have not seen the information that I seek.

I apologize if I missed it somewhere.

Now to the issue.

I have a bone stock 2012 limited AWD and absolutely hate the Michelins that are on it, hence the desire for new tires.

It currently has 245/60R18s I would like to know if anyone else has went to a wider tire and if so how wide?

Also does anyone have practicle experience in regards to how wide one could actually go.

Thanks all.

Edited by 7.3X

I would think 255x55Rx18 is as wide as you would want to try on an 8" rim. Speed is only 0.05% slow.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/235-65R17/245-60R18/255-55R18

BTW I run Bridgestone Dueler's on my MKX. Just replaced, had Bridgestone's on before. Not as Soft rubber as Michelin but don't get noisy and harsh after 20k miles.

Edited by enigma-2

I was looking at a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATs in 255/60-18 but have heard some pretty differing opinions on them.

Here in Michigan snow is an issue most winters so a good wet weather-snow tire is what I would like more than mileage or 50,000 mile wear.

We travel to our cottage in northern Michigan alot and tend to find the nastiest weather more often than not.

How do you lie the Bridgestones you have?

I was going to recommend the Michelins but now... not so much. heh. I run Goodyear Eagle RS-A's P245/50r/20's and have been pretty happy with them, not your size but pretty good tire. I ran Michelins on my Explorer and was very please and they regularly get good reviews. Is there a particular reason that you don't like them? Just interested.

Thanks Chefduane for the reply and input.

The problem I have with the current tire is that it is more geared toward mileage and wear.

They are the the Michelin Lattitude Tour HP model and are great for dry pavement but not so much anywhere else.

I have played the air pressure game with hopes that it would help, not at all.

Approximately a week ago here in Mid-Michigan we got a really quick snow storm that dropped a couple of inches of snow and even with AWD it just wouldn't grab and stopping was a joke.

I am certain that Michelin makes a tire I would like unfortunately we are a big truck family and this is at 50 years old my first ever car so I do not know what it is.

If we were talking 3/4 or 1 ton Fords I have experience there but embarrassingly enough when it comes to cars and street tires I am lost.

Thanks to all who have responded.

I see now. Yes, I think that the Michs are made with a little harder compound rubber and in snow would certainly harden up a bit more. I am no expert in winter driving (I live in Dallas!) but would bet that a harder compound tire would suck in snow. I would look for sometime with a little softer rubber compound - prolly take some research in the tires groups. Maybe just google 'softer rubber compound tires'. Good Luck!

I can give you advice on what all season tire not to get from experience. Hankook Ventura ST they should not be sold as all seasons. They wear good and are extremely quiet but did not fair well in Northeast winter. They do look good my next tire will be contential extreme contact dws06 but very expensive

Have a look at the Tirerack.Com website.

The first four of five tires listed (all above 4 stars) are all good in wet weathere and snow.

To read the reviews, click on the stars for each tire and check the bargraph, esp. in the area of wet and light & heavy snow. Should make the job of which tire, easier.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireResultsServlet?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2012&autoModel=Edge+Limited&autoModClar=AWD&width=245%2F&ratio=60&diameter=18&sortCode=54053&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S&tab=ALL&zipCode=&forFilters=false&performance=ALL&filterPageClose=true#0

As I said before, I'm running the Bridgestone's and am well satisfied with them; but, remember none of these are snow tires. And you will never get as good traction with an all-season tire as compared to a specific snow tire. (But they are quieter and smoother).

Addison21, thank you.

The pirelli are one of the sets I am considering.

Do you have much time with a set?

Enigma-2, I appreciate your help.

As you have probably already figured I am a little shall we say aged and therefore the technology most take for granted I either have no interest in or just flat out do not how to use.

Hell it took me a while to figure out how to use the small things I do on here.

I will for sure use the link you posted.

Yet once again, thanks all for the help.

Rwf78155, thanks for the suggestion but I need to run something that will do better in the snow than the Toyo will.

There is a young man that I work with that runs the Toyo Proxes and hates them in the winter.

He has them on a AWD 2009 Edge.

I can only speak to the experience he has related to me but it was not favorable.

Good morning there Chef.

I ran the Pirelli on one of our Excursions and loved them, I just wasn't sure how they would work on a much lighter vehicle but am hearing alot of good.

As with any good feedback there will also be negative feedback yet my personal experience was great.

I ordered the Pirelli Scorpion ATS in 255/60-18

this morning so we will see how they do.

I for sure will update and let you know.

Michelin Premier LTX (speed rated at 148mph) tested to 110 and smooth running. Great tire, smooth, quiet and responsive. Best tire to date on my Edge and I have had Hancook dump truck tires, Bridgstones, and Yokohama. Wife has the Michelin Latitudes and they are a very smooth tire, but discontinued so to speak.

Premiers handle the rain and puddles with no hydroplaning at 75 mph, wet cornering is great and snow traction is moderate, but I dare say the Blizzaks are what I am comparing them to and Blizzaks win for snow tires.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1