Considering purchase

KnightOwl

Hello one and all!

I am the current happy owner of a 2013 Taurus SEL, but I have long had my eye on an Edge. I must admit to not being completely knocked over with the latest restyle in 2015. Its not ugly, not at all, but I simply prefer the previous gen body both inside and out.

Sometime In the coming months I'll be shopping the idea of grabbing a nice used example if my daughter follows through with taking my Taurus off my hands.

I'm basically torn between an optioned up SEL or a Sport. Limited is out since I hate wood trim. Nav and the Pano sunroof are must-haves, along with the darker color choices. My Taurus is Deep Impact blue and I adore that color but I'd also be happy with black. The 3.5 in my Taurus is great with a K&N intake and Summit chambered muffs installed. I'm sure I could be equally happy with that same driveline in the SEL.

I've been looking at specs and it seems the Sport and SEL share the same brakes? AWD I can take or leave...not a deal breaker.

I love the blackout style of the Sport and the tu-tone interior, but I guess the big question is the 3.7 really worth the extra?

A lot of online reviews really pan the mpg of the Sport. My 3.5 does 26-27mpg on highway trips...is the Sport much worse?

I'm also pretty sure if I got a Sport I'd swap down to 20in wheels. The 22s just feel like overkill, and several reviews say the extra unsprung weight really hurts the Sport braking distance.

If there is anything I'm overlooking or need to be made aware of while shopping, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

Highway miles will definitely be worse, especially if you go with AWD. If you don't need AWD, then by all means skip it. It adds weight & means you extra stuff to worry about failing (PTU). The Limited is the only Edge that had factory HID option, so if it's only the wood you don't like, you can cover it up. Also, consider the MKX, they are basically a more luxurious version of the Edge but with the 3.7L engine. Since it's Lincoln, depreciation would be higher so you can get one at a price close to the Edge, and they have a longer warranty period.

• Like 1

Reviews ... meh ... SMH. Ever since internet reviews have become a "thing", I have tried to rely on known good reviewers only, those with a history and a history of consistency. IF you believed the reviews, you would not buy an Edge simply because Sync Stinks LOL ...

The value of the Sport should be looked at as a package: wheels, suspension, engine, etc. If value is most important to you, the SE/SEL is a good choice. I chose the SEL because it had just the right amount of gadgetry. In my 2007, I do not have automatic climate control, no APIM, no Sync, nothing. Pretty barebones by today's standards. Do I miss any of it? well ... no! Maybe I would like a power liftgate one day ...

If you service the pano roof regularly, it will be a great additional feature. I would make sure of my glass coverage with the insurance co though.

Besides all that, the usual stuff: make sure all recalls have been completed, get an extended warranty (my recommendation) from Ford online dealerships at least for a year while you figure out the daily in-outs, and get the vehicle inspected by an independent trusted mechanic who will look over/under the car prior to purchase if at all possible. Run the climate controls to make sure they work properly, and that no smells enter the cabin upon hard acceleration.

RE: reviews. I've noticed on movie reviews the difference between a really good movie and a really bad movie is about half a star. No movies get less than 4 stars from moviegoers - even the terrible ones.

I don't even go by overall ratings any more - I read some of the great ratings and some of the bad ratings to see what they're liking or not liking and whether there is a pattern.

I just put a new epoxy-like coating on the garage floor. All the bad reviews complained about hot tire pickup or peeling or a non-uniform gloss all of which points to poor surface prep, not a product defect. Used it with no problems.

• Like 1

I have a completely optioned Limited (301a) AWD. Man, I just had to have all the bells and whistles! Just me. I agree that if you can take or leave AWD, leave it. Adds complexity and an additional (and potentially expensive) failure point, and more maintenance requirements. I don't mind the wood trim on the interior, its done tastefully and not overdone. But if it is not your thing, no big deal. Am appropriately optioned SEL is probably the best value/bang for the buck. Nav is nice to have but GoogleMaps is a nice alternative and works great, but its cool to have a console display! I DO like the power lift gate and use it a lot. Remote start is meh, use it a few times to show off to your friends and that's about it... I can turn of my AC when I get to the car thankyouverymuch.

I did not know that the standard engine in the MKX was the 3.7. Good to know.