non k&n and Intake silencers???

robg253

part 1

I have read all the bad stuff on K&N air filters and not to mention how if you over oil the filter the oil can collect up on the compressor wheels and knock the balance off (from what i have read not sure if this is true or not) . so I use a AFE on my F150 3.5 ecoboost and I like it, its a dry filter and reusable so the question is are there any of you all using this instead of the K&N?

part 2

on my F150 3.5 ecoboost there was silencers in the two air intakes after the air box, ford used them to silence the motor however they are really restrictive, so I pulled them out and the motor sounds a lot better with a good woosh sound and (I am not talking about the BOV I also did VTA mod on it), also it seems like better throttle response. so does anyone know if the 2.7 eco in my edge sport have the silencers in the intake tubes?

thanks for the help

• Like 1

Part 1: I use an AEM Dry-Flo filter on my 3.5 for the specific reason that an oiled filter (K&N or other) can possibly foul the MAF. Now, there are some that say the a K&N won't oil up the MAF and some that insist that it will. I used an AEM filter in my Explorer and it worked great so I went with one on my Edge. And since it is not an oiled filter there are no concerns about gunking up the MAF. And I like the convenience of a re-usable filter.

I don't know about oiling up compressor components (and I haven't done any research on it) but I would be more concerned about MAF fouling. I could be wrong about that, tho.

Pat 2: No clue.

• Like 2

ok there must not be because it seem no one know what I am talking, so here we go the f150 ecoboost have a vary good intake system however there are plastic inserts in the intake tubes after the air box before turbos. the purpose of these is to silence the intake noise. as we all know adding anything in the path of air flow to the turbos will decrease power, and I am not wiling to do that just to make the intake quieter. so you can pull them out which will free up the path for air flow. I did not want to get a intake for the f150 because the stock one is great high flow intake just need to remove the silencers. since my edge sport has a ecoboost I was wonder if this motor has them as well? I thought it would be a good idea to ask you all before taring into the intake. check out pics from a f150

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/assets/images/Project%20Cars/Bills%20EcoBoost/aFe%20Stage%202%20Install/AFECAIInstall6.JPG

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/glmr34/media/2011%20F150%20SCrew%20EcoBoost/IMG_20111207_160552.jpg.html

http://pm1.narvii.com/6316/646d9fdc1450941406cbf6d0f483799367b13c6e_hq.jpg

• Like 1

I know on my truck there was a difference in response, and from what others on the f150 ecoboost forum said that when you add aftermarket parts like tunes, down pipes, intercoolers and whatever, there is a big difference in power when you remove the silencers. probably because of the increase demand of air flow with all the upgrades.

• Like 1

Nothing's better than OEM.

Filter? Haha! I laugh at that. I bench tested the AFE Dry vs OEM for my TDI Passat for flow and filtration at a friends lab(QC's HVAC Filters). Filtration was the same(Within Margin of Error), and flow was about 15% better. Combine that with it is the same cost as 3 filters, so it is paid for in 30K, and all you have to do is clean it every 20K or so.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The important detail is staying away from those oiled filters. You literally do not want more dirt getting through along with bigger particles like you do with those oiled performance filters. I plan on changing the air filter at my next service around 20k miles and am debating on whether I should try to AFE dry filter or not. I am generally an OEM person though.

• Like 1

I will say that now that I have the air intake system back to stock, I can no longer hear the turbo's. The previous setup I used was the snorkel and bottom of the air box removed and the filter ziptide to the top. Strictly a sound mod. Also this ziptide setup I used only varied the intake temps slightly so the OEM Edge setup is basically a WAI from factory