Radiator Fan?

NIFNIC

Hello:

I'm not a new member, I was under Shumax, but locked myself out and had to start over. Frustrating.

My 2007 Edge SEL AWD is doing something that I'm concerned with. Even after a short (2-3 mile) drive, I will pull in my garage and shut the car off and I can hear the radiator fans spinning fast. Sounds like the normal sound of fans spinning - no squeaks, or heavy loads, etc. I just don't recall hearing it after the car was shut off. It stops about 10sec. after the car is shut off - about the time it takes me to get out of the car and walk into my house.

I had the coolant flushed at 100k and I'm at 125k now, but that was also two years ago. We don't drive the vehicle all that much, obviously. Also, the temperature gauge is in the middle of the range, so...?

Any thoughts, or was it always going on and I was just missing it? Doubt that, but...

Thanks!
Shumax

Edited by NIFNIC

Do you mean the fans keep running for ~10 seconds after the engine is shut off? I am not sure that any Edge generation does this, the 2011-2014 definitely doesn't.

If that is the case, hopefully someone with a 2007 will chime in to confirm. It might be an electrical issue or a bad Relay causing the fan to remain on.

• Like 1

I have heard the fans spin down after shutoff, if they were running before shutoff, but it's quick, and I have to be in an enclosed space to hear them (if hood is closed).

The question is whether that 2-3 mile drive was from a cold start? The fans shouldn't even come on unless the HVAC/climate control is activated in such a short distance. If the drive is very stop & go, heavy traffic type, or if the happy pedal is used too often, then ok. Have you checked to see if the AC works as expected?

I would highly recommend getting familiar with the "basics" of how your car is behaving. I use an OBD II adapter (OBDLink MX Bluetooth) and Forscan Lite on Android to monitor the Edge. You will be able to tell when the fans come on, how much they are in use, when they shut off, etc. Also the temp gauge is kind of an "idiot" gauge, you will need software to tell what is actually going on with coolant temps. Stock thermostats start to open around 188F, and are fully open around 208-210F.

I don't drive the car, my wife does. So, it's hard for me to tell anyone what's normal. I drove the car 2-3 miles to a gas station, filled and came home. Never really got on it and the temp. gauge was barely to the middle section of the dial by the time I got home. Pull in the garage, shut the car off, get out and hear the fans. By the time I'm walking past the hood to my garage door, they are shutting off.

I'm not really sure why they would have been on in the first place as that 4-6 mile loop was in 55 degree weather. Yes, the HVAC was one, but not the AC. I'll have to test that today.

Perhaps it's happened before and she never noticed it? Anytime I've had issues with fans, they won't come on. Not what I am experiencing here.

Thanks,

Shumax

• 3 months later...

Hi,

My wife's 2007 Edge AWD is doing the exact same thing. I found the following thread showing the fan needed to be replaced.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12731-radiator-fan-assembly-replacement-procedure/

I need to find out if we can use the Dorman fan in the link below with the AWD.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3472311&jsn=483

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 7T4Z8C607A, 7T4Z8C607B, CT4Z8C607B

Jeremy