2017 Ford Edge Sport Gas Mileage

Sierra

I just got back from the rolling hills of rural Eastern Kentucky and averaged 22mpg on my 2016 while maintaining about 72-75mph the entire trip. Only once did the engine have to downshift when ascending a steep grade that even the Ecoboost's flat torque curve couldn't maintain while in 6th. Depending on the terrain where you live, also remember that living around a lot of hills will negatively impact fuel economy. Also remember that wind resistance is very important and whether you are driving into or with the wind makes a big difference. On a windy day while driving to Columbus which is 100 miles away from me, I noticed a 3-4mpg difference going there and back with the difference being whether I was driving into or with the wind. Temperatures also play a factor as cold tires add to rolling resistance and cold fluids exert much more drag on the vehicle's moving parts for longer as it takes longer to warm to normal temperatures. That isn't even factoring things like regional fuel blends. This is why it is nearly impossible to compare fuel economy across a particular vehicle type across the country.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hi,

My 2nd fill using 91 I got 21.9 mpg, most of that was highway and easy driving. I will monitor and report back after I get some more fill ups

Okay, it is clear to me that I will always be under 20mpg...it is too fun to drive conservatively. Before the Edge I had 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid...32 mpg or better no matter how I drove it. Off the line the hybrid goes well..electric motors are fantastic for that, but since that torques effect dies off quickly there is no need to "enjoy the power" while driving like the Sport!

• Like 1

I have a 2015 edge sport. After 10000km I would get 30 mpg(sometimes more) on pure highway driving at 65 to 70 mph....very conservative, no heavy acceleration. In town with really mild driving we would see 18 to 21 mpg. Now if I get a heavy foot, which is very easy to do in the sport, fuel mileage goes out the window....Ive seen as low as 10 to 11 mpg in town and 16 mpg on the highway. I find with the sport if you can keep out of the turbo and really baby the acceleration it does have the potential to get good fuel mileage.....but dam its tough to not play with the power the sport puts out....very addictive. So to sum everything up, I would say driving characteristics is the biggest factor in fuel economy with the 2.7tt edge sport.

• Like 1

Over 10,000 miles since December, I've averaged just under 22mpg, with an 80/20 highway/local roads mix. On longer road trips like the one I'm on now, I get 25-26ish mpg (doing 75mph with mainly highway driving and no stop-and-go) with my Sport fairly well loaded. No complaints.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just logged the best fuel economy to date at nearly 16k miles on my 2016. I have been doing mostly highway driving at 72-75mph and am averaging 27-28.5mpg on the highway. Pretty impressive considering that the AWD Edge with the 2.0 Ecoboosts are EPA rated at 28mpg on the highway. I do run nothing but Shell or Costco brand premium fuel though. With this being my 3rd Ecoboost, I have noticed better fuel economy on premium which nets me better than EPA rated at real highway speeds versus the artificially low speeds on the EPA test loop.

• Like 2

I've only done one fill-up since I purchased mine last week, but my MPG was 20.6 and 100% city driving. I expect to do a little bit better on the second tank, and it will most likely be 100% city as well. I should also mention that my previous vehicle to the Sport was a 2012 Toyota Prius, and I averaged 58 mpg p/tank, although I had several tanks that averaged 62 mpg. I mention this because I still find myself driving the Sport like I did in the Prius. In fact, I can't help but apply the brakes like I am regenerating energy back to the battery. Still, applying the same types of techniques to the Sport does help to achieve the best MPG.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just odd nit-pick ...you are mixing km and miles....a little bit odd...?° truly impressed if you got 30 mpg, that just seems unachievable

Cds Mpg

Now keep in mind....i was extremely easy on acceleration, the road was prairie flat...and there was no wind.

I was able to easily get 24+ mpg at "midwest" speeds in a 2016 Titanium 3.5 with 2 people + luggage (rental, unknown gas quality), and 25+ with Shell 87. And yes, there were numerous bottlenecks due to construction, so not all highway.

I would imagine, an Ecoboost equipped Edge, especially when tuned, could achieve 30 mpg under similar conditions. They do it on the SHO all the time. Of course, they are also usually running premium.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Averaged 34mpg this weekend on the highway, going about 65mph with no AC. Was behind a semi, so I’m sure that helped (drafting), but damn I was impressed. Sustained this economy for about 10 miles too.

I typically average 22 combined, 28-30 highway. Running LMS 93 octane aggressive tune.

• Like 1

Would that be imperial mpg's or US gallon MPG's? In order to obtain that kind of fuel economy for that distance, drafting could help but you may have also had a slight downhill grade that cannot be perceived. Also drafting generally only works if you are following dangerously or even recklessly close to a semi so that you are inside the vacuum before the turbulence zone that is behind any large fast moving object. Not a very good place to be as you would be unable to see around the semi in order to anticipate evasive maneuvering and would also be a good place to pick up some good chips in the paint and window from rocks being thrown straight at you by the wheels. This is why many RV'ers with diesel pushers destroy the paint and windows on any vehicle they may be flat towing behind them.

• Like 2

I got 45.99mpg from just north of Cincinnati, Oh to just just north of Columbus, Oh drafting a semi, in my mother in laws 2009 Mazda CX9 AWD. Used 2.11 gallons in 99 Miles. Speed limit was 65 & he was doing 70. I was 7-8 car lengths back from him & could feel the car shake if i got too far back. Best I've ever gotten drafting.

In our '16 Edge SEL 2.0 Ecoboost, I've been trying to accelerate slowly down the hills & kinda coasting until i hit the speed limit then maintaining the speed limit. Using Cruise Control in area's the are even remotely hilly just tank MPG's. I also turn the A/C off going up hills & use recirculate to keep it cooler longer. with our instant fuel economy gauge, you can definitely see a difference when the A/C is on going up a hill in comparison to when it's not on going up a hill.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

Would that be imperial mpg's or US gallon MPG's? In order to obtain that kind of fuel economy for that distance, drafting could help but you may have also had a slight downhill grade that cannot be perceived. Also drafting generally only works if you are following dangerously or even recklessly close to a semi so that you are inside the vacuum before the turbulence zone that is behind any large fast moving object. Not a very good place to be as you would be unable to see around the semi in order to anticipate evasive maneuvering and would also be a good place to pick up some good chips in the paint and window from rocks being thrown straight at you by the wheels. This is why many RV'ers with diesel pushers destroy the paint and windows on any vehicle they may be flat towing behind them.

Ok I'm not that daft, I wasn't inches from the semi trailer. Probably at least 5-7 car lengths. Road was flat as a pancake.

Edited by cjh