2017 Ford Edge Sport Gas Mileage

Sierra

Hi all sorry, for some reason not getting the tracking notices on this post. Yes roots57 I do have the 3.5 v6. Cds71, hate to disappoint but I would BET that you’re using more gas than what the display is indicating. I would be really curious to have people manually track their real mileage and not use the display. Also, keep in mind that we Canadians are using imperial gallons, 4.54l not USgallons at 3.78l.

My ford freestyle (my gateway ford lol) was dead accurate on mileage read outs. So was my A4 and A6 and as stated my wife’s Kia. It’s just heavy on gas. I transported a new Tiguan at 8.6l/100 and even a MB metris van at 9.2 last week. Gas mileage is not the deal breaker with his car for me, a disappointment only.

The sound system i find so poor, that bugs me more.

The biggest thing, and I think it is due to the 20” setup, is I find the car wanders a lot. You have to always be on the wheel. Anyone else notice this? All these other vehicles I drive are so better a staying put in the lanes. Even the sprinter on a windy day!!!

Ahhh, hey, first-world problems! Cheers all, Bruce.

Quote from above: "The biggest thing, and I think it is due to the 20” setup, is I find the car wanders a lot. You have to always be on the wheel. Anyone else notice this? All these other vehicles I drive are so better a staying put in the lanes. Even the sprinter on a windy day!!!

Ahhh, hey, first-world problems! Cheers all, Bruce."

Mine does this too sporadically. It seems to be a little worse with these Atturo tires compared to the P-Zeros (my only complaint with the Atturos). I am going to have an alignment done soon to see if this is a contributor or an actual difference in the tires.

Edited by roots57

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a full tank of fuel to calculate the MPG vs the displayed value and its about 1 MPG lower than the display so far. I'll keep the calculation going for a couple more tanks to get a more accurate value, but its a bit disappointing. I even used the same gas station and same exact pump to eliminate that as a potential variable.

• Like 2

Happy new year gang.

So, I fueled up yesterday after 2 weeks of city driving so I new it was not going to be great. I am driving it like a miser, coasting stops, using momentum, etc... also, doing this transporting thing I am driving half the time at 5am so pretty clear and green lights. display read 14.7 l/100. Actually it was a whopping 17.87 in reality; 13.1 mpg us. The only th8ng I have driven lately that drank more was a Nissan Armada.

Re the steering tracking. Yep, I have to try at least another wheel alignment. Ford did two but screwed with camber etc, as well before they replaced all four tires. Pirelli scorpion 20s only 10k now. This is the most hands-on car I have ever driven, even MBs, Nissans, dodges, etc... with 20s drive truer than this edge.

I really like the car when I get back into it for comfort, content and things are well laid out. It’s so disappointing though after driving other cars due to the tracking.

• Like 1

I am driving it like a miser, coasting stops, using momentum, etc... also, doing this transporting thing I am driving half the time at 5am so pretty clear and green lights. display read 14.7 l/100. Actually it was a whopping 17.87 in reality; 13.1 mpg us. [16 mpg us]

Either your definition of driving like a miser is off, or you need to find a new competent dealership to fix it - I get a steady 22 mpg us without driving too economically.

I use exclusively Costco Premium.

14.7L/100km = 16 mpg us

https://www.calculateme.com/gas-mileage/liters-per-100-km-to-us-mpg

• Like 1

. I am driving it like a miser, coasting stops, using momentum, etc...

Not sure if by "coasting" you mean shifting to neutral. Doing that is not advantageous: braking in gear cuts fuel delivery to zero while coasting in neutral results in the engine idling and consuming fuel. Depending on grade (terrain) a vehicle in neutral may roll farther but I believe the consensus is no fuel savings. Not a massive distance either way.

Edited by KLinNBC

From the 2011 Edge Source Book

Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-off (ADFSO)
• Helps maximize fuel efficiency
• Temporarily interrupts fuel delivery and consumption
when the vehicle normally slows down while
maintaining normal engine operation
• System uses the transmission to keep the engine
running at a low, more fuel-efficient operating level
whenever possible
• Normal fuel delivery resumes when the vehicle reaches
a low speed or when the driver accelerates
• Helps maintain excellent driveability with a Fordproprietary
software that integrates the fuel shut-off
technology with the powertrain operation
• System is automatic and requires no interaction
from the driver
  • Like 1

I think you guys are mis-interpreting "fuel shut-off". it does not mean "zero fuel"

I'm pretty sure we can all agree on how an internal combustion engine works. B)

Nope, fuel shut-off means the fuel is shut OFF. The rolling of the vehicle keeps the drive train rotating so that when the throttle is reapplied fuel delivery and combustion resume. The fuel shut-off is gradual when you lift off the throttle but is total in a second or so. Isn't an Edge or Ford feature, it's intrinsic to practically every vehicle made for the last 20 years with an automatic transmission. It's a result of CAFE and other enviro regulations, manufacturers have been jumping on anything to meet ever more stringent standards.

AN engine doesn't "stall" if it's still rotating. If you think about it that's how you start an engine: the electric starter get's it turning over then you add fuel and spark. As long as it's still turning over you can take away fuel and spark and add it back pretty seamlessly. As you might guess the fuel sht off is different with a manual trans: it still happens when you lift off the throttle while moving but resumes the instant you disengage the clutch. Similarly with a slush-box, when the vehicle approaches a full stop the fuel delivery is activated.

Edited by KLinNBC
  • Like 1

I think you guys are mis-interpreting "fuel shut-off". it does not mean "zero fuel"

I'm pretty sure we can all agree on how an internal combustion engine works. B)

It does mean ZERO fuel for short periods. The wheels and transmission keep the engine turning over until fuel is added again.

If the engine couldn’t turn over without combustion you wouldn’t be able to push start a manual transmission vehicle.

• Like 1

alright, I can see where that seems factual. however, can someone explain how there are exhaust gases without fuel combustion? asking for a friend ;)

I'm not sure what you're asking: the gases from the combustion of gasoline are pretty much not visible, in a healthy car what you see is condensation. Any kind of thick smoke could be oil or coolant or trannie fluid burning. Soot can build up in the tailpipe if it's running really rich. But I'm certain you aren't seeing the products of combustion while a vehicle is decelerating.

I am working with engines and will try to clear questions about what gas to use and fuel economy you get, Definitely fuel economy will improve after brake in period (2k to 3k miles), but most critical is what fuel your engine is tuned for! If you look inside your fuel door, it might have two statements; first - "premium fuel only" (edge ST, focus RS, mustang 2,3L turbo), it means that for NA engine tuned for octane rate of 91 (in some states 91 is highest rate you can have) - best performance and fuel economy you will have with 91-93 octane rate fuel and might harm your engine if use 87 fuel: second - "premium fuel recommended", it means that your engine tuned for octane rate of 89 and your best performance and fuel economy you will have at 89 - 91 octane rate, but will not harm engine if use 87 fuel,

• Like 1

Update, driving like a miser I men being really light on the gas and coasting I do not shift to neutral, simply let the cars momentum carry me when I can. Talked to the dealership about this and it’s a pretty subletive subject, they’re indeifferentto look into it. Probably not a warranty claim code they will get.

• 1 year later...

New member here, in case anyone is interested. I track my mileage with Fuelly and have logged over 6,000 miles to date since I got my 2015 Sport back in October of last year. I've noticed actual calculated mpg is around 1-1.5 mpg off from the trip computer. See link below for my fuelly profile if anyone is curious. I'm located in Iowa for reference. Hope this helps.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/edge/2015/a-aron6/860665

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/26/2017 at 8:02 AM, Sierra said:

I am very pleased with my Ford Edge Sport with the 2.7L EcoBoost engine except for gas mileage. I am currently getting in the low 15’s combined city and highway. I only use premium gas and have never used the sport mode. I only have 950 miles on the odometer and I realize it is not broken in yet, but 15 mpg seems ridiculous.

I am driving my Edge very conservatively and I keep the mpg display on to monitor my driving habits to try and get the best gas mileage. I would say 1/3 of my driving is highway and 2/3 is city. I have no problem getting 38 mpg driving my wife’s C-Mac. Is 15 mpg combined for a new Ford Edge Sport normal? Gas mileage in sport mode must be horrendous.

Average for my 2018 is 21.2 for the 9000 miles I have had it! just got back from a trip to the Mountains ..Hwy as high as 25.5 (71mph)...for the 900 mile trip 60% Hwy/30% winding 2 lane/10% curvy Mt. roads in Sport manual shifting--24.4 mpg.