Second gen. Edge - Line item option delete?

Just get an upholstery shop to put leather on your seats. If that was the only package item that wasn't satisfactory, most dealers will arrange to recover the seats as part of the original sale. I know many people who wanted leather on lower trim vehicles and didn't want to get a higher trim level because of the cost and the extra package features they didn't want. They ended up with the lower trim level they wanted but with leather seating added for a fraction of the difference in cost between the trim levels.

Principles. I hate being forced to get something I want to get something I don't want. In this case, I didn't actually opt out of the heated steering wheel because of the mats, instead I chose a configuration that was available that happened to not have this package (and I was happy about it - despite me being mad that I don't have a heated steering wheel now lol). Principles! :)

If he doesn't want the floor mats, just get rid of them!… He's penalizing himself from getting something convenient just for the sake of "principles"… Ha ha ha... :hammer_self:

and

I get that to some degree but going without the option really doesn't hurt anyone but you.

Exactly. :salute:

Claude.

Edited by akirby
personal attack removed

If he doesn't want the floor mats, just get rid of them!… He's penalizing himself from getting something convenient just for the sake of "principles"… Ha ha ha... :hammer_self:

There is no rational reason for throwing a box of rubber mats into the back of an Edge when a customer has no use for them, other than to scrounge a few bucks out of the customer. I own 6,000 shares of Ford stock, but I still believe in putting the needs of the customer first.

If someone can give me a rational reason why they bundled a heated steering wheel with cheap rubber mats, other than making a few bucks, I'm ready to listen.

And this is from someone that has a 2016 F-150 Platinum, that came with a heated steering wheel and no rubber mats.

Edited by akirby
personal attack response deleted

If someone can give me a rational reason why they bundled a heated steering wheel with cheap rubber mats, other than making a few bucks, I'm ready to listen.

Because both heated wheels and rubber mats are frequently used together in colder climates.

Look at it this way - they could have left out the mats and just added $200 to the cost of the Edge and you would have bought it without batting an eye. Or if the cost of the heated wheel by itself was the same as the wheel and the mats you wouldn't have cared. Just seems silly to go without a feature you really like based on a $100 set of floor mats either way.

I understand packaging of options in groups and why a manufacturer will do that but I have to admit that the inclusion of floor mats in a package is a little baffling. Most packages consist of factory installed options grouped together such as heated seats with heated steering wheel. But there is no "installation" of floor mats - they just get thrown in the back of the vehicle. Most manufacturers would simply list the mats as accessories (either over-the-counter or dealer installed) rather than as factory options. I remember when "get them to throw in the floor mats" was part of the standard bargaining process when buying a new car.

How do you folks that have the "Lane-Keeping" option like it? If you did want it to be included in your order (or purchase) is it alone worth the additional price of the 302A equipment group package or perhaps a better way of asking the question is; How much of the 302A equipment group option package do you use and how much is each item worth to you if you could select or delete each line item?

302A equipment group package:

301A +

lane keeping system

active parking assist

front camera

HID headlights

rain sensing wipers

2nd row inflatable belts

Edited by Chipster

How do you folks that have the "Lane-Keeping" option like it? If you did want it to be included in your order (or purchase) is it alone worth the additional price of the 302A equipment group package

I've had it for 4 years on my Fusion and the only time I've used it is when I accidentally hit the button on the end of the turn signal stalk - it takes me a few seconds to turn it back off.

I've had it for 4 years on my Fusion and the only time I've used it is when I accidentally hit the button on the end of the turn signal stalk - it takes me a few seconds to turn it back off.

I hear more complaints about the system than anything else. I had it on the demo Edge I test drove and it really bugged me until the salesman told me how to shut it off.

If he doesn't want the floor mats, just get rid of them! He's penalizing himself from getting something convenient just for the sake of "principles" Ha ha ha... :hammer_self:

and

Exactly. :salute:

Claude.

The question was asked and I gave my opinion, you can feel it's silly. Just like how I think your hideously ugly wheels are silly, but you like them.

I understand packaging of options in groups and why a manufacturer will do that but I have to admit that the inclusion of floor mats in a package is a little baffling. Most packages consist of factory installed options grouped together such as heated seats with heated steering wheel. But there is no "installation" of floor mats - they just get thrown in the back of the vehicle. Most manufacturers would simply list the mats as accessories (either over-the-counter or dealer installed) rather than as factory options. I remember when "get them to throw in the floor mats" was part of the standard bargaining process when buying a new car.

Exactly right.

Look, the Cold Weather Package for the Heated Wheel and Floor Mats is listed at $350 on the Build Site, today.

But, they also list the Floor Mats as a separate option for $125.

There is no rational reason why the Heated Steering Wheel could not have been offered as an option for $225. None!

So for principled people who don't choose to spend $125 for a junk item, their only option is to pass on the package. And who loses more money, the customer or Ford?

Edited by All Hat No Cattle

That $350 amount surprises me. I would have thought the heated steering wheel would be more expensive on the assumption that there would be different wiring as well as the wheel itself. That makes me wonder if one can just buy the wheel and it will work when installed because everything else needed is already there.

If true, that could be a bit of a problem for the principal of not paying for unwanted extras - the vehicle already includes extras to support a heated steering wheel even though it didn't come with one. :doh: On the other hand, it could be a way to get a heated wheel without floor mats.

I often pull lettuce and tomato off of the burgers I eat in restaurants. I've never asked to have my cost shaved a bit by not having them put on. The floor mats are a bit like that. It's only upsetting if you choose to be upset about it. The heated steering wheel makes my wife very happy. Her happiness matters quite a bit more than being concerned about some extremely minor cost.

Besides, there are enough legitimate issues with the car to complain about. Rubber floor mats being tossed in isn't one of those.

The lane assist is nice. There are enough settings in terms of notification and force of correction that it can be adjusted quite a bit. I don't wander in my lane much, so I don't feel the system very often. If you're a person who does wander, I can see it being both useful and perhaps irritating. With normal, reasonably skilled and attentive driving you'll never know it's on.

The rain sensing wipers are taking some getting used to, but I like them.

...The lane assist is nice. There are enough settings in terms of notification and force of correction that it can be adjusted quite a bit. I don't wander in my lane much, so I don't feel the system very often. If you're a person who does wander, I can see it being both useful and perhaps irritating. With normal, reasonably skilled and attentive driving you'll never know it's on.

The rain sensing wipers are taking some getting used to, but I like them.

Thanks for the response!

That $350 amount surprises me. I would have thought the heated steering wheel would be more expensive on the assumption that there would be different wiring as well as the wheel itself. That makes me wonder if one can just buy the wheel and it will work when installed because everything else needed is already there.

That $350 is Ford's pricing with the floor mats, take $125 off for the mats and you are at $225, which is reasonable.

But remember, that $225 is to add heating coils into the wheel, and some programming and a relay, to turn it on and off.

On my Platinum, the Wheel heater is turned on in the SYNC Climate screen, upper left icon. It looks to be the same in the 2017 Edge manual.

So wiring for the wheel already there, maybe? But programming needed to get the icon? For sure.