Ford edge cranks but wont start

GABLHartt

Hey all. Found this forum searching for answers on google. Looks like some knowledgeable people here.

Wife has a 2008 Ford Edge 3.5L 2WD. According to her.....she drove it home from work and backed into the driveway with 22 miles to empty (even though I've asked her 1000 times to fuel up before 1/4 tank :doh: ) She then said it wouldn't start. My first thought it she probably fried the fuel pump.

I grab a 5 gallon jug of fuel and toss it in. Cranked for a bit and no start. Hooked up jumper cables to my truck and still nothing.

I just replaced the air filter couple thousand miles ago. Its still clean. I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs because I had never done so and shes at 108k. Still nothing. Plugged in the scan tool and of course no codes have been thrown. I did read something about the anti-theft light causing a similar problem. Mine appears to be functioning correctly. So....

How easy is the fuel pump replacement? Any other test/part replacements I should complete before diving into the fuel pump?

Thanks everyone in advanced.

You should hear the fuel pump prime the system before you actually start the car. Move the key to the run position (the 1 before you engage the starter) & you should hear the fuel pump turn on. There's also a reset button somewhere inside the car. I believe it's in the passenger side floorboard on the outside panel.

• Like 1

You should hear the fuel pump prime the system before you actually start the car. Move the key to the run position (the 1 before you engage the starter) & you should hear the fuel pump turn on. There's also a reset button somewhere inside the car. I believe it's in the passenger side floorboard on the outside panel.

Just read up on the inertia switch. Hopefully that is it and when she backed it into the driveway, she hit the curb hard enough to throw it. That would be a life saver. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it tomorrow and reply.

• Like 1

Yes, found the inertia switch in the cargo area, driver's side. I had to use an allen wrench to push it in due to the small access hole and location. I thought I felt a pop when I pushed it so I hoped that was it but still no start. I forgot to mention in my original post that I had already checked all the fuses, all good. The security light does not blink, it comes on, stays on for a few seconds then shuts off. The dash normalizes. I've got a decent DTC scanner, no codes were thrown.

I turned the key to run and I thought I could hear a faint buzzing noise coming from the fuel tank. It's very quiet if it is the pump priming. But I'm still thinking, based on how many times she runs the thing to near empty, that dried out the pump and fried it. I know pumps have gotten better these days but don't they still use fuel to keep cool?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply, I was out of the state.

Well I cleaned up the pump and reinstalled it and the car started right up. So it obviously had something to do with the fuel pump. Maybe the connector had come loose. Maybe it had just picked up a piece of dirt. Either way I learned a valuable lesson. Rather than drop the tank, simply access the fuel pump from the access panel located under the rear passenger seat.... :doh::doh::doh: Glad it's fixed for now. Thanks everyone.

• Like 1