Interior Disaster - 2016 Ford Edge Sport

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share my experience with my 2016 Ford Edge Sport interior. MotorTrend's assessment of interior noise is an understatement.

I have noticed a complete lack of quality and attention to detail. In the past 3 months of owning the car, I have encountered the following issues:

• Rattle from rear hatch (replaced all trim mounting clips)
  • High pitch squeak from roof lining (replaced broken magnetic holders)
  • Rattle from both A pillars (replaced warped trim and mounting clips)
  • Rattle from driving side B pillar (unresolved)
  • Rattle from driver's side front and rear door (replace door trim mounting clips)
  • Rattle from arm rest area (unresolved - Ford claims that this is normal :s)
  • Bubbling of Dashboard (removed and replaced dash panel)
  • Broken AC port (replace AC port)
  • Carpet pulling away from centre stack (unresolved)
  • Total camera failure (replace rear camera)
  • Fog light trim cracked (replace trim)

Any recommendations on next steps? I am getting tired of bringing the vehicle into the shop and Ontario does not have any lemon laws :(

If I were you, I'd get on the internet, join a forum and post my first post as a list of complaints. :clapping:

Seriously though, that is an extremely unusual number of issues for the first three months. Is it possible that the vehicle had been damaged in shipping or something that would make it not square? If the body isn't straight, all kinds of interior pieces could be stressed causing deformations, breakage, clips coming loose, rattles, etc. It might be worth a trip to a good body shop (not the dealer) to have them check that everything is true. If it isn't, then you can challenge the dealer with how are they going to fix it under warranty... I suspect they would just put you into a new one.

• Like 1

The only issue my 2016 is suffering from that list is an insane amount of squeaking coming from somewhere in the back when driving along rough pavement(pretty much any road in the entire state). It only happens when the outdoor temperatures drop below 30 degrees which means it will be next winter before i'll try to have the dealer look at it.

• Like 1

What about the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan? Sounds very similar to US Lemon Laws. "Eligibility is easier in Canada. There's no 3-attempts-at-a-repair or 30-days-in-the-shop stipulations before a vehicle owner can seek restitution, which are common requirements in the US." This is per Bob Pierce - former provincial motor vehicle registrar who helped establish CAMVAP in 1994.

Methinks your time might be better invested researching this option, rather than posting in a blog. Best of luck!

http://www.wheels.ca/news/bought-a-lemon-car-heres-who-you-should-call/

• Like 1

The only issue my 2016 is suffering from that list is an insane amount of squeaking coming from somewhere in the back when driving along rough pavement(pretty much any road in the entire state). It only happens when the outdoor temperatures drop below 30 degrees which means it will be next winter before i'll try to have the dealer look at it.

I've remember reading in another forum that the squeek was traced to the ebrake cable (where it enters the guide). Someone else reported finding it with a plastic guide under the rear seat where the cable passes through. The fix in both cases was to use lithium grease at these points.

I will probably let my dealer figure it out, but that cable you are talking about caused more of a rattle than a squeak. I think I took care of that myself after I removed the seat. I think I fixed it accidently as a family member dropped something valuable which had me removing the back seat to find it.

At this stage, this person has not come back to respond to their own post which leaves me to believe that they are yet another person going from forum to forum posting and leaving.

CAMVAP won't get involved unless it is the same issue 3+ times. It just so happens that it is various issues at once.

Regarding the fog light, I meant the trim around the LED running lights.

Also, Ford Canada offers no help but warranty work.

I am truly disgusted by the vehicle quality and lack of resources to help consumers. Definitely not worth close to $60K.

Edited by Inkrypshun

Ask them to lower the roof liner and check the magnetic clips.

• 4 weeks later...

If it makes you feel better, my Edge interior had some pretty nasty rattles the first 5-10K miles. Aside from a rear door trim rattle fixed by the dealer, they all seemed to just go away with time and wear. No clue why. 18K miles now and quiet as can be.

Ford is catching up but the interiors and quality control are still low in my opinion.

I've seen it all coming out of the factory from missing interior pieces to gaps being so different that I wonder what gets "no pass" in the factory.

Sweat your dealer he has to fix it (no matter how many times they say it's supposed to be that way they are just trying to "get rid of you") and they will if you're persistent.

Ford is catching up but the interiors and quality control are still low in my opinion.

I've seen it all coming out of the factory from missing interior pieces to gaps being so different that I wonder what gets "no pass" in the factory.

Sweat your dealer he has to fix it (no matter how many times they say it's supposed to be that way they are just trying to "get rid of you") and they will if you're persistent.

I agree. Ford's quality tends to go up and down every few years. I actually feel that the 11-14 Edges had better quality control then the 10- and 15+. The Lincolns seem a lot more consistent but, of course, ya gotta pay the premium.

• 2 months later...

Looks like I am setting the record for the number of issues with the Edge Sport.

Latest warranty work includes:

• Pano sunroof track snapped preventing the sunroof from closing :)
  • Paint flaking off bumper due to adhesion issue (required repaint of bumper)

That totals over 15+ service visits and 30 days in repair. Can't wait to get out of this POS.

If only Canada had lemon laws.