Steering gear replacement

Is it possible for me to assess whether I need to replace the steering gear on my vehicle? Are there any typical symptoms I should experience? I'm driving a 2011 Ford Edge Limited 3.5L AWD.

I took my vehicle in to Ford last week for "The Works" package which includes an oil change and overall vehicle inspection. They said the high pressure power steering hose is leaking and needs to be replaced, along with the steering gear. I've never had any power steering issues and I haven't heard any sounds or whines while turning. I'm booking it in to get the high pressure hose leak fixed but I'm questioning whether the steering gear needs to be replaced as well. The gear itself was quoted from Ford as $1000 for the part and 5 hours of labour so it's quite expensive.

More than likely it is a banjo bolt leaking if anything. Still not a cheap fix, but better than what the dealership is suggesting. There is a TSB on this for the 2007-13 model year Edge.

Steering gear failure is quite rare on the Edge, but since yours is a 2011, who knows, LOL! J/K.

SB-10054565-5109 2008-13 Edge-MKX Power Steering Fluid Leak from Pressure Line Banjo Fitting Kit 8E5Z3A705A.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you! I'll look into the banjo bolt. I assume if I jack the vehicle up and get underneath I should be able to see relatively quickly if the leak is coming from the hose itself or the bolt?

I got a copy of the service manual and noticed they recommend replacing the banjo bolt when replacing the hose, so maybe the dealership I took my vehicle to likes to default to replacing both no matter where the leak is originating from.

Edited by thomashw

Sounds like we have a similar problem. Mine seems to be failing where the hardline transitions to a flexible line, but the leak seems to move forward from that area onto the transmission as well.

You probably need to clean it up and then see if you can pin point the leak. Have you been having to add an p/s fluid?

post-30496-0-38822000-1491997095_thumb.jpg

post-30496-0-40175900-1491997128_thumb.jpg